Baby Names
Options

Opinions wanted on girl names

MrsM2015MrsM2015 member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
We came across a family name that we fell in love with - Emmeline. I worry that although the name itself isn't extremely popular, the nicknames will be (nn Emme, Emma). So what do you think? I've listed another name that we also like, but it doesn't have a family connection and was picked because of the way it sounds and the meaning. Our last name is one syllable and begins with M.

Opinions wanted on girl names 109 votes

Emmeline
51% 56 votes
Evangeline
48% 53 votes

Re: Opinions wanted on girl names

• Options
    I agree with you about the nicknames. They all blend together. I would go with Evangeline, but don't call her Evie, also way too popular! Also suggest Genevieve, very similar feel to me.
  • Options
    I love the name Emmeline. It was on my list, but my husband felt people would call her Emma, or Emme, and he doesn't like those nn. :(

I liked the name in honor of Emmeline Pankhurst. You don't hear it much in the southern US, that's for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Emmaline - you could use a different part of the name to base your nickname if you love it but want a different nn. Like Ellie or Ali or Aline.
  • Options
    I think I've seen that name in writing (maybe on here) and thought it was nice. But I was at a public venue and overheard a lady introduce herself as Emmaline and my gut reaction to it was awful. It kind of surprised me how much I hated it. I still don't know if it was because of brief impression of the lady with the name or something about the name itself, but it was weird.

My husband loves the name Evangeline. In and of itself, I don't mind it. But his mother's name is Eva and I just knew if we ever used Evangeline, she would some how tell everyone we named the kid after her.

I seem to be rambling. I'm sure (and I hope) that my personal associations with those names have no bearing on your choice.
  • Options
    @MamaWren919 I hadn't thought about the Evie nn, but I agree it is far too popular for my taste. Genevieve is on our short list of names since that was my great-grandmother's name.
  • Options
    @LC122 Thanks for your thoughts! I don't mind the rambling. We aren't disclosing the names we choose (we are team green) to our family so this is a venue where I can get opinions without everyone finding out.
  • Options
    DrKariC said:
    I love Emmaline - you could use a different part of the name to base your nickname if you love it but want a different nn. Like Ellie or Ali or Aline.
    That's a good idea! I'll have to think on this.
  • Options
    kayway85 said:
    I love the name Emmeline. It was on my list, but my husband felt people would call her Emma, or Emme, and he doesn't like those nn. :( I liked the name in honor of Emmeline Pankhurst. You don't hear it much in the southern US, that's for sure.
    After seeing the name in my husband's family tree, I did a little research on it and came across Emmeline Pankhurst. Not a bad namesake!
  • Options
    I love Evangeline!
  • Options
    Both are nice but I love Evangeline, it's a gorgeous name!!
  • Options
    I am not a huge fan of either, but Evangeline is over the top to me and reminds me of evangelicals. Love the PP's suggestion of Genevieve!
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    I do like the name Evangeline because I associate it with the pretty actress, oddly, but, unfortunately, I totally agree with pp that it smacks of evangelicals. And I think Emme is a really cute nickname.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Options
    Emmeline was the name we picked out for a girl. But we're having a boy so I'll have to save it for another time! :) I think it's really pretty and classy and nicknames like Em, Emma, Emmy are all so cute!
  • Options
    Both are sweet in my opinion and have nice nns. I voted for Emmeline since there is a family connection.
  • Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to give your opinions. I truly appreciate all the feedback!