October 2015 Moms
Options

Blood clot / Doctor issues

Saturday night I woke up with pretty extreme leg pain. I realized after a few minutes this wasn't a cramp and something else was going on. I was concerned because going to bed that leg had been severally swollen where as the other leg was fine even after hours of elevation and hydration. I go to work Sunday and chat about it with a coworker who's have her 5 kid and she said call your doctor immediately. You sound like you have a blood clot in your leg. I frantically run through the Internet and sure even. It says I'm going to die. (Because that's what it always tells you...) Anyways I call my "on call nurse" who is very concerned as well. She sends me home to elevate and hydrate and take Monday off because she will call in that I need an order for a sonogram of my leg asap. Well it's 2 in the afternoon and I've called and emailed 3 times so far to get the ball rolling at the doctors office but all I get is "the doctor is with patients all day. We've sent her an electronic message asking for the order and we hope to hear back soon." This is becoming quite frustrating. So, should I give up and go back to work, maybe call my GP doctor, or wait it out with my ob?

Good news being off my feet for two days now has totally ridden my legs and ankles of being swollen!

Re: Blood clot / Doctor issues

• Options
    Sorry, I should have prof read my rant. So terribly sorry for all the typos.
  • Options
    Call your regular doctor and get the ball rolling. My husband detached his whole quadricep (major surgery) and a week later had a few blood clots. I took him to the ER because it was after hours and just walking through the door was a few grand. Our doctor were super concerned about the clots.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi! I think it's pretty serious to have a clot so maybe call OB and let them know you might just go to the ER. I feel like I would go to ER.
  • Options
    I sometimes overreact to stuff but better safe than with a blood clot headed for your lungs or something.
  • Options
    This is just personal opinion, please take it as that.

If I were in the same situation and my OB was ignoring a serious matter like that, I would go to the hospital and deal with the on call OB. Why wait if it could be serious?
  • Options
    I'd go to the ER.
  • Options
    Birdee212Birdee212 member
    edited August 2015
    ETA: Scratch that. Go to the ER.
  • Options
    Yup if your doc's office can't get you in immediately go to the er. If you are over reacting great, but if you aren't...
  • Options
    Go to the ER for sure. I get that doctors are busy but with a blood clot they should have sent you straight to the ER!
  • Options
    I have a blood clot in my left leg and the second i told my widwife she freaked out and had me go to the ER. When I arrived at the hospital they were freaking and immediately put me in a wheel chair for fear that it would dislodge and go up to my lungs. After taking a sonogram of my entire left leg is turns out its a superficial clot instead of a deep clot and there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I hope this is the case for you as well!!! Considering how everyone reacted to me I would go to ER asap.
  • Options
    Go to the ER
  • Options
    ER... Immediately. Blood clots are a big deal. Not to freak you out, but My brother died suddenly of a blood clot that hit his lungs.
  • Options
    Please go to the emergency room. If it is a blood clot, which pregnancy makes us more likely to get, it can become very dangerous and dislodge and end up in your lungs and cause more serious problems. You will need to be on blood thinners.
  • Options
    OP how are you doing? I've been thinking about you!
  • Options
    ER for sure. I had a blood clot in my leg with my son and didn't know. Two days later, had a pulmonary embolism when it broke off and went into my lungs. Husband found me unconscious and blue in the bathroom. Almost died. They are no joke. 
  • Options
    So after many phone calls and emails back and forth to the nurse I finally got somewhat of an answer. They are suppose to call me tomorrow with where and when for a sonogram. I guess because my leg is not turning colors and it's not warm to the touch it's not ER worthy. I am kind of suprised that they didn't call back and send me in immediately since this is the normal response whenever I remind them I have a heart condition. So yesterday and today I've taken it easy, feet up and probably 3 gallons of water consumed. My legs and ankles are not swollen at all! I'm trying to just stay calm and relaxed. My mom is coming over tomorrow and taking me to my appointment whenever that will be since my husband is out of town for work. I've had zero leg pain since that first night so I'm hoping if it is a blood clot it's superficial.
  • Options
    Hope everything goes well tomorrow!