October 2015 Moms
Options

Still upset. Soft markers or ventriculomegaly anyone?

Just wondering if any of the other mums are dealing with this.  Did anyone else's 2nd trimester anatomy scan reveal abnormal results when screening for soft markers? (Those markers being thickened nuchal fold, echogenic bowel, ventriculomegaly, echogenic focus in the heart, choroid plexus cyst, single umbilical artery, enlarged cistema magma, or pyelectasis)

Or anyone else's anatomy scan turn up something scary?

We got the results from my 2nd trimester ultrasound a couple weeks ago, and I'm still reeling from the results.  The 'what ifs' keep swimming around my head, even though the more studies I read, the calmer I become.  The overwhelming odds are that baby's brain is just fine.  But I'm still upset.  I've had to go for two additional ultrasounds so far, do extra blood work etc.  My next ultrasound is in a little over a week, and the docs said they'll schedule an MRI if the 'issue is unresolved'.  

Re: Still upset. Soft markers or ventriculomegaly anyone?

• Options
    They found an echogenic focus at our anatomy scan at 20 weeks. We had a follow up scan at 24, and the focus was still thee but everything else looked good so the docs are all happy. It is scary, but I'll love this little girl no matter what, do that helps keep things in perspective for me. I'm not worried about it anymore, just excited to meet her.

I'm sorry you are worried! I'm not sure what the marked they found on your scan means, but try not to worry! Your situation sounds scary and it is totally understandable why you are nervous. Sounds like the docs are on top of it though and keeping an eye on everything. It also sounds like the odds are in your favor. Just remember the sweet baby you'll get to meet soon! Keep us updated on your results.
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    Thanks @cbolton19  Do you have any more tests/scans to do? I'm glad to hear you're not worried anymore.  For me each day is easier than the last, that's for sure!  I think I'm still upset because I've been working so much I haven't really had any time to properly mentally process things.  I work full time, then come home to a needy toddler and never really have a moment to think.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Nukke No more tests. They were happy about everything else they saw. Which also made me feel better. The marker they found seems to be a really common one, so I think that is part of why there is not much concern. I agree that each day it is easier. It sinks in a little more. We were really worried before the follow up scan. Thankfully we got a really great tech (much better than our original anatomy scan). I think her attitude and positivity really helped ease our fears some. She wasn't allowed to say anything, but just her demeanor was really reassuring. I think it will just take some time, and honestly a small amount of that worry will be there until baby gets here.

Which marker did they find at your scan? And is it only one?

It sounds like you have some other stresses that aren't helping. Work sucks, and it is hard think through everything when you have to work too. Sounds like you need some R&R though!
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    cbolton19 said:
    'Which marker did they find at your scan? And is it only one? 
    They found a ventriculomegaly (enlarged left ventricle in the baby's brain).  No other markers or issues at all.  All my bloodwork is clean too.  the follow up level II ultrasounds both showed the ventriculomegaly remains enlarged, but at least it isn't growing.  and now that my bloodwork has come back, it's been confirmed to be a 'mild isolated ventriculomegaly' which has the most favourable outcome statistically.  Each scan does make me feel a little better, and you're right--I do feel like I'm in good hands.

And now I have to go because my toddler locked herself in the bathroom, haha!  Thanks for your warm thoughts <3
  • Options
    @Nukke oh good! That sounds really promising! And it is nice to feel like you are in good hands. It helps! I'll keep sending good vibes!

Uh oh! Ha ha better get your toddler. Lol