August 2015 Moms

Mommies make mistakes

I know a lot of the FTM are expressing their totally normal fears about being responsible for these new precious people coming into their lives, so how about we S(+)TM tell some of our mistake stories?

Mistakes WILL happen and the best we can hope for is that none will have lasting effects.

When DD was about 3 months old we met up for lunch with a few other D12 bumpie friends for lunch. After lunch, we decided to drive to a park and walk the babies around in the strollers. When we arrived at the park I went to take DD out of her infant seat and realized that she was not buckled in! I started bawling right there and had bad anxiety about driving with her for a good year after that happened. The park wasn't far from the restaurant, but we still had to get on a highway and drive a couple of exits to the park. It was a horrible feeling.

I know I've made many more mistakes but that was my first huge one that has always stuck out in my mind. Mommy guilt is the worst!

Re: Mommies make mistakes

• Loading the player...
  • We live in a tri-level house with about 6-8 steps between each level. When DS had just begun crawling, I had him down in the living room, and decided to quickly run up to the kitchen. I was gone maybe 10 seconds when I heard him fall down the stairs to the basement and start screaming. I raced down to him and he was sitting up, crying.. I called DH at work freaking out that DS might have a concussion. He works in Sports Medicine and deals with tons of concussions, and assured me that DS was probably just fine and to keep an eye on him. He was right - DS was completely fine, but I was a nervous mess for a while, and baby gates were put up right away. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When my 3 year old was about 7 months, I had him on my bed while I was putting some clothes away, had my back turned for 10 seconds or so and THUMP! He was on the ground screaming. After a few minutes of crying he was alright, just felt terrible.

And to add, just this morning we were building letter blocks and it came time for clean up, so I was "helping" my 3 y/o, had some blocks in my hand and went to bed down to put them in the bag when 3 of them fell out of my hand and hit him right on the head. He immediately started crying and I felt so bad! Those wooden blocks are no joke. Told him I was sorry and all was well after about 5 minutes of him sobbing.

These things happen! I like what PP has said, it's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when"!
  • When my son was little, I slept on a couch holding him. I was very paranoid and anxious about him being away from me. Anyway, when he was about 6 months he flipped right out of my arms onto the floor. I only noticed that he was out of my arms because his crying woke me up. I sobbed for a long time and had to have someone else watch over him because I was so upset. He only cried for a couple minutes and was just fine, but I felt absolutely awful.
  • Did I mention my now 3 year old broke his collar bone last year? He was coming down the basement stairs to find me in the basement and he slid down the stairs and broke it. Of course I picked him up (under his armpits, poor kid!) and checked his head and limbs. He was still sobbing when I noticed the little bone sticking up under his skin on his collar bone. I felt like such a shit bag mom :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Gave my son his second bath. Hubby was out and my mom had just left, this was not the first time I had bathed a baby so I was confident I knew how to do it on my own.
    The bath and wash part went great he was all clean and smelled cute I took him out put him in a hooded baby towel that I had been given at my shower and took him off to the nursery to get diapered and dressed. In the 5 second it took me to walk to the other room babies lips were blue and he looked frozen... I started crying and roped off my shirt got a heavy blanket and sat skin to skin for an hour till hubby came home. I was a mess , hubby laughter and grab a big beach towel and wrapped our son up and took him off to get dressed.

Baby was fine but I was scared for life. I no longer have ANY baby towels in my house and our son has his own big fluffy beach towel and now his sister will have one too.

I felt like I was such a failure, how could I be trusted with this baby if I can't even keep him warm.... But he's 1 years old and he has had many more baths and he loves them, and his comfy towel!!!!!
  • Oh... So many I wouldn't even know where to begin!

The worst for me is that I've smacked my DD a few times because I've been frustrated and lashed out. Not that I am 'anti-smacking' but I think it should be done only if a child continues to do something that can actually harm him/herself or others. I certainly don't think it should be done to alleviate MY frustration and anger (thankfully when I've done it it's been on a nappy-clad bottom and not particularly hard). I felt like SUCH a terrible human being for doing it and, thankfully, I've worked out ways of diverting any episodes of frustration to avoid doing it again. And DD still loves me - yay!
  • Ive done nothing wrong i am perfect...i have a 17 year old perfect specimen and an 8 year old perfect specimen and i've done NOTHING but parent them perfectly

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HONESTLY, i think my list of things i've done right is probably shorter than the list of things i've done "wrong"
  • With DS1, we moved when he was about 4wks old and the house we moved into didn't have a tub, so I decided to bath him with me in the shower (I was 19 and had no experience with babies). Needless to say, soapy babies are extra slippery and he slid down my body and legs straight to the tiled shower floor. I flipped out and called 911. He's now a perfectly healthy 11yr old.

My 3yr old DD has permanent bruises on her legs and face, because she is quite possibly the clumsiest child ever. If there is a wall around, she'll walk into it. But the worst one was when we moved into the new house just after her first birthday. The previous owners never put a railing up on the porch. I didn't think much of it, until she walked straight off the edge(4.5ft drop). DH had to put up a railing that night before I would allow her to go outside.

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With DS1, we moved when he was about 4wks old and the house we moved into didn't have a tub, so I decided to bath him with me in the shower (I was 19 and had no experience with babies). Needless to say, soapy babies are extra slippery and he slid down my body and legs straight to the tiled shower floor. I flipped out and called 911. He's now a perfectly healthy 11yr old. My 3yr old DD has permanent bruises on her legs and face, because she is quite possibly the clumsiest child ever. If there is a wall around, she'll walk into it. But the worst one was when we moved into the new house just after her first birthday. The previous owners never put a railing up on the porch. I didn't think much of it, until she walked straight off the edge(4.5ft drop). DH had to put up a railing that night before I would allow her to go outside.

This!!! My daughter constantly has bruised and scrapes all over her. She is 18 months and just fell off the bed (not for the first time, mind you) 2 weeks ago. The bruise on her cheek is FINALLY almost gone. Her knee was scraped up at daycare. One of her teachers was upset, saying she hadn't noticed the scrape for about 20 minutes after it happened- but she doesn't cry for stuff like that. She's fallen and been bleeding before and didn't cry, so I didn't realize she'd been hurt.

I love this thread- it makes me feel a WHOLE lot better knowing I'm not alone!

• I just thought of another one. Before DH remodeled our bathroom, the shower had a shelf/ledge that reached to the edge of the tub and was just high enough for DS to reach from the bathroom floor. I kept all of my razors on this shelf, and last summer, I had him in the bathroom with me while I went pee. In that 20 seconds, he managed to reach one of my razors and cut his finger. It wasn't a bad cut, but it bled like crazy. I felt terrible.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS1, we moved when he was about 4wks old and the house we moved into didn't have a tub, so I decided to bath him with me in the shower (I was 19 and had no experience with babies). Needless to say, soapy babies are extra slippery and he slid down my body and legs straight to the tiled shower floor. I flipped out and called 911. He's now a perfectly healthy 11yr old.

My 3yr old DD has permanent bruises on her legs and face, because she is quite possibly the clumsiest child ever. If there is a wall around, she'll walk into it. But the worst one was when we moved into the new house just after her first birthday. The previous owners never put a railing up on the porch. I didn't think much of it, until she walked straight off the edge(4.5ft drop). DH had to put up a railing that night before I would allow her to go outside.

Awe! I can just picture your little "soapy baby" sliding to the floor! lol I know it's not funny that he got hurt, but for some reason, picturing a little slippery baby made me laugh!;P I'm glad he's fine!