February 2016 Moms

Skull/Nub Theory Guesses?

12w1d - baby boy #3 - or first baby girl?  Any guesses?

Re: Skull/Nub Theory Guesses?

• I don't know but I think it would be a good idea to edit your personal info out of the pic.

I have no idea about the skull thing. I think rather than checking for a nub it actually has something to do with the angle of the line down there... not sure of specifics. With DS, the tech made a 90% guess at 12 weeks, but it was still a guess. With #2 and #3 she wouldn't even venture a guess because I think you have to get just the right angle.

• TopitsTopits member
    edited July 2015
    Baby girl! Nub looks flatter and 3 straight lines. Boys have more of a 30 degree angle I've heard. But I'm no pro, total guess. When do you find out??? I am trying to guess the same thing with my 12 week ultrasound!
  • Loading the player...
  • With the cell-free DNA test - I guess I should find out next week or the beginning of the following week!  I'm so excited!  
  • I think it looks like a boy based on the skull? The back of the heads are a bit flatter on boys... I don't see the nub in the pic at all? 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • TopitsTopits member
    @JHSmommy you'll have to post the result!

@potatocastillo I've heard the nub kinda disappears into three straight lines at 12 weeks with a girl. But stays more of a nub, with 3 dots in a triangle with boys. But I have no experience with it, just what I've read. Haven't done research about the skull though!
  • pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited July 2015
    I know you can see the 3 lines with a girl, but I thought you need a direct between the legs shot to be able to determine anything? I couldn't really see any sort of nub in the pic? Not a great angle for it.

I have been looking into the skull theory a bit, supposedly the foreheads are a bit flatter, and the back of the heads are bit flatter, so the boy heads will look a little more boxy, girl heads are very round. I'm not sure how accurate any of that is though- 

My DD did have a very round head at the 10wks scan, new baby it's harder to tell- I think it can go either way.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • TopitsTopits member
    @potatocastillo maybe you're right! I thought you could see the three lines in a profile shot at a certain point. But I guess that doesn't make sense. Very interesting about the skull thing! I'll have to look into that.
  • I know you can see the 3 lines with a girl, but I thought you need a direct between the legs shot to be able to determine anything? I couldn't really see any sort of nub in the pic? Not a great angle for it.

That's what I was thinking, too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Not sure if I see a nub or not, but i'd guess girl.
    BFP #1 4/23/11, EDD 1/4/12::No heartbeat @ 9 wks::D&C 6/1/11 
    Child #1  June 2012
    Child #2  Feb 2014
    Child #3  Feb 16
    BFP 3/9/17
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm confused by where people are seeing the "nub" 
    I mean, obviously, I know to look between legs but i dont see anything in this pic 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!  
  • I just want to update that after 2 boys, this baby is a healthy baby GIRL!!!  
  • Congrats! So exciting!!!

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker