March 2016 Moms

Unable to take prenatal vitamins

I'm unable to take prenatal vitamins because they make me nauseous; is there anything else I can take to get the folic acid needed?

Re: Unable to take prenatal vitamins

• smushismushi member
    Is it the swallowing the prenatals that gets you?  Or you're feeling nauseated afterwards?  

If the first, you could try the gummy version.  Those are great.  If it's the other, try taking them after you eat (not first thing in the morning).
  • I've also heard that it is the iron in them that causes problems for some women, I believe you can get some without the iron or even just a folic acid supplement.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP 6/16/13 ~ EDD 2/22/14 ~ CP 6/20/13 @ 4W3D
    BFP 1/1/14 ~ EDD 9/6/14 ~ CP 1/4/14 @ 4W2D
    BFP 6/24/15 ~ EDD 3/6/16 ~ Here's hoping 3rd time is a charm!
  • Loading the player...
  • maelicmaelic member
    Take just folic acid supplements, you don't need to take prenatals per my OB and my GP. I'm allergic to cobalt which is in B12 as methylcobalamine and therefore in most multivitamins. Modern day diets really cover most bases, you'd have to have a noted deficiency to have a problem without supplements. 

I take 800mcg of folic acid, they go down easy and no nausea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second either trying a different prenatal or the gummy prenatals. I was taking a prenatal that made me nauseated and switched to the gummy vitamins. They didn't bother me. Recently, my ob prescribed me a different prenatal (they are small capsules, which I think has helped me) and I have been taking them with no issue. The first ones I was taking were horrific though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm in the same boat.  I got some gummies but just need to remember to take them - so hard to remember.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• You could also take them right before bed. That helps me.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • You could also take them right before bed. That helps me.

I also switched to taking them at night with my DS and have been doing that with this pregnancy. I couldn't take them in the morning without throwing them up. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have mine on the night stand and take them right before bed as a part of my nightly routine. I haven't forgotten yet! Normally I'm horrible about remembering to take pills!
  • The gummies have been a life saver for me. I had the same problem. The iron in them were making me bed ridden all day and I could barely eat. Switched to gummies and I feel a million times better.
  • edited August 2015
    Try taking them before bed. If that still doesn't work, take folic acid and DHA supplements. That's what I had to do with DD.
  • Ditto what has been said, the gummies are totally worth trying. I would throw up every time with pill prenatals and even regular vitamins but I have no issues with the gummies. 
  • Try the gummies and take them at night! That's what I do.
  • I take one without iron and am MUCH less nauseous vs when I had added iron to it

BFP: 7-5-15
    EDD: 3-11-16
    29yo First pregnancy! 

• Most people swear by gummies but you can also take flinstone vitamins. An OB recommended it to me once. Next time you're in the store, compare the percentages with prenatals. They are surprisingly similar.
  • Honest company prenatal vitamins work really well for me. These have ginger so it helps with the nausea. Taking them at night will work too! My friend was having the same issue, her prenatal a were making her sick and she was also breaking out. I recommended the ones I take and she loved them and made her feel great and said her skin even started to look healthy again.
    They are huge though!! I sometimes do have problems swilling them. They also include a fish oil vitamin, and surprisingly they don't make me burp or have fishy after taste.
    These are all organic and made out off wholefoods. Some prenatals have all the unnecessary junk in them. Not everyone is concerned about this, but if you are, these are great!!