1st Trimester
Options

High blood sugar??

hi mommies I'm currentlypregnant with my third child. I am 11 weeks. All of my other pregnancies were well and easy(meaning no complications). I have had hypoglycemia(low blood sugar) all my life and I got a call from my doctor this morning regarding my blood work and she said I have an abnormally high blood sugar and I have to meet with a dietician and get a glucometer to continuously measure my blood sugar throughout the day and report it to har at my prenatal appointments. Have any of you mommies experienced this? Also I've been extremely dizzy with this pregnancy. Could it be preeclampsia? I'm worried.

Re: High blood sugar??

• Options
    Dizzy is normal in first and second trimester.
    No, you can not have pre-e this early, the diagnosis can only be made after 24 weeks, with lab work and recorded elevated blood pressure.
    Try drinking more water and eating more protien.
  • Options
    I've developed gestational diabetes with my 3rd pregnancy (previous pregnancies were complication free). Just got diagnosed this week at 32 weeks along.

So I've met with a dietician and am monitoring my blood sugar levels 6 times a day, plus I'll be having extra scans and meeting with the obstetricians at the hospital (which is part of the process here in NZ).

I agree with pp that dizziness is normal, and it's too early for pre-eclampsia. Having said that it's worth mentioning the dizziness to your OB because it's always good for them to have a complete picture of what's going on for you.

Best wishes that the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly :)
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old