1st Trimester
Options

Possible twin?

Today I had a Transabdominal ultrasound and the doctor wasn't sure if there was a second baby so she is sending me for a vaginal soon. I wad just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and whether or not there was in fact a second baby. Either way we are excited but just thought I'd ask.

Re: Possible twin?

• Options
    CasCrystal, transabdominal ultrasounds are really blurry / tricky in early pregnancy. Transvaginals are limited in many ways (especially the nuchal translucency ultrasound!), but they are so better for imagining in the early weeks.

Sonographers have imaging protocol to follow when they collect their images. If there is a shadow or blurry area then they must refer on for either another type of imaging or a followup.

Unfortunately a lot of factors are in play here. Progesterone slows down the GI tract do that the sonographer has to try to work around that shadow / visual obstruction. It can make it difficult to rule out twins because they can't see all sides.

So based on what youve said i don't think there's an increase chance of twins, just an inability to rule it out.