December 2014 Moms

Trying to crawl but hates sitting up

I'm starting to get worried that my almost 7 month old will sit up on his own but only for a few minutes (2-3 max) and sometimes when I try and put him down to sit he arches his back and refuses. However, he has been up on an all fours for a month now rocking and now kinda crawling. They say sitting up is the big milestone not crawling and the doctor wasn't worried at his 6 month appointment but I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this? He's a big boy, in the 90th percentile for length, weight, and head circumference and I know they say bigger babies take longer sometimes because of their belly but being a first time mom I'm getting a little worried.

Re: Trying to crawl but hates sitting up

• I wouldn't worry. Babies develop at their own different rates. My son is 7 months old and he hated to try to sit for a few months. I would sit him on his bottom, but his legs were so stiff and straight, he just wanted to be standing, or laying down. Just recently, he has come around to the idea of sitting. He is doing to rocking on all fours also. 
  • My LO is 7 months and isn't even close to sitting up or crawling. He can sit up in the tri pod position for a good while or he can grab the onto something to help him but refuses to actually sit up on his own. As for crawling we aren't even close. He hates being on his tummy. He lives to roll around on the floor though. Holy crap if he gets stuck on his tummy though. Water works and screaming are soon to follow.

I wouldn't worry. My LO is in the 90's for height and head. So I just blame it on his big head lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well this makes me feel a bit better. My LO just turned 8 months and has been sitting since 5 months but HATES tummy time. So no crawling or even attempting to get up in her knees. No rolling either. She either sits and plays( she can oddly spin around on her butt and belly) or she is in her walker or she is screaming for my hands so she can walk around. Sigh, any mobility would be great. I'm tired of being the one to take her around to each thing