February 2016 Moms

Pregnancy after multiple losses - finally relaxing a little

Hey all! I'm new here, and finally feeling comfortable enough to join in discussions. My name is Stephanie. I live near St. Louis. I am 29, married and have four healthy children and 2 angel babies making this pregnancy #7. I own and operate an in home daycare, and am in graduate school for counseling. Yes, my hands and heart are full! :) I am currently 13w 3d, due Feb. 1st. Although I have a feeling this will be a late January baby. We have had 2 miscarriages in the last year, one in Sept and one in Feb. After 4 healthy pregnancies I knew it wasn't just statistics, regardless of what my previous doctor tried to say. I pushed for answers and discovered I have genetic mutation. Why it didn't affect me sooner is still a mystery to me, but I believe it has something to do with aging and stress and possibly a depletion of nutrient stores. I had also been diagnosed hypothyroid shortly before that and later realized I had adrenal fatigue. Most doctors know very little of this mutation, so I have spent hours doing my own research and participating in educational forums. I was finally able to find a NaPro doc with some knowledge of my issues for this pregnancy. He was able to catch that my progesterone levels were dropping a few weeks in, even though they started strong. I've been on progesterone supplements, blood thinner, and bio identical prenatals this time around. Our previous losses were at 12 and 14 week scans, finding that there was no heartbeat and baby had stopped growing at 10 and 12 weeks. Now that I am nearing week 14 and still hear baby's heartbeat almost daily (home doppler) I am beginning to feel some excitement and relief, and hoping that we have solved the issue and can get this baby here healthy and full term. It becomes a totally different experience once you have suffered a loss and especially multiple losses. Sorry for the super long post! I just hope to help anyone who has struggled with similar issues. Best wishes to all on this adventure!

Re: Pregnancy after multiple losses - finally relaxing a little

• Hi welcome and congrats! I'm sorry for your losses. My name is Courtney, I'm 24 and pregnant with my fourth baby. My EDD is Feb 8th. I'm glad that you're finally feeling relief and excitement. Although I have never suffered a miscarriage this pregnancy was at risk for one around 11weeks due to a hemorrhage. I'm honestly still worried at times. I think it would be a good idea to get a home Doppler as well. Any ones you suggest? I wish you the best!
  • Its hard to relax after a miscarriage, I have had 4, and this is my 4 baby, too. (8th pregnancy) I have heparin injections 2x daily along with 200mg progesterone at night. Hope we all continue to have sticky babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Nice to see a fellow St. Louisiana! I am sorry for your losses. I have also had two with no successful pregnancies. I know what you mean about finally starting to feel more confident. Both of my losses were early (6 weeks) and with the progesterone supplements this one has made it to 11 weeks so far. With three good u/s I feel like I can finally open myself up to this pregnancy.

Here's to the next 7 months!
    Married 7/20/13
    #1 MC August 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #2 MC November 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi Courtney. Thanks for the welcome. I hope all continues to go well for you in this pregnancy! I use the sonoline B doppler. I just google searched it and ordered online for $40. It works really well. I was able to pick up the HB from 8 weeks on.

Oortcloud11, sending positive thoughts your way for a healthy little one this time! So sorry for your losses! Did they know what was the cause?

Borgahurst, small world! I am on IL side but only about 20 min from downtown. I'm so sorry for your losses as well. Hang in there, you will get that rainbow baby! What doctor do you use? Is this your first run with progesterone? I feel like it was a big key in the success so far this time. My previous doctor didn't even monitor past the initial level and seeing that it was ok. It wasn't until reading on a MTHFR mutation forum and someone mentioning how progesterone can be pulled in an attempt to balance the thyroid, that I started really questioning.

There is still a long way to come in obstetrics! We should not all be losing healthy babies for unexplainable reasons. :( I hope you all have wonderfully healthy pregnancies and beautiful rainbow babies!
  • Sorry for your losses. I'm glad you're starting to feel some relief. H&H 9 months for you!

• I am in a similar situation... Two losses after three healthy children. I also have hypothyroid so your story hit home. I am due Feb 1 and am just now telling ppl. I have been told to stop progesterone next week and am a little nervous about that. What protocol is your doc following with regard to that if you don't mind me asking. H&h 9 mos!
  • This is my first go around with progesterone. I was really frustrated after the second MC, esp. When the third and current one also showed low P. But that is passed and those Angels seem to be willing this one along. My doctor is at Mercy at 270 and 40.
    Married 7/20/13
    #1 MC August 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #2 MC November 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hopefulbaby2b, we share due dates! I can relate, I just announced at the end of last week. Which is good, because I don't think I could hide the belly anymore. My doctor also said I could stop progesterone last week. However, I was very cautious to do so! Of course I researched that as much as possible, and found that many will keep on progesterone until 16 weeks just to be safe. From discussions with midwives in my forum and what I have read, it doesn't seem there's any harm in continuing to take even when levels are good. I decided to just continue taking it. I'm not sure when I will stop, but I'm not comfortable taking any chances right now. If you do stop I would make sure they test a couple of times per week to make sure levels are remaining stable. Hoping for the best for you and baby!
  • Wow mrswaltets12! Seems like we have more in common! My OB refuses to test as she is adamant that there is no need because the placenta has taken over at 14 weeks. This of course scares me. I think I will be cautious too and start slowly weaning myself off next week. Hopefully there will be no issues
  • Thank you Stephanie and no problem. I will definitely go look online for some dippers. :)