Trying to Get Pregnant

To all my fellow pcos girls out there!!

whats the longest you've not gotten your period?! My periods vary and usually i average around 48 days. I am up to day 70 at the moment. Taken a pregnancy test every week for the last 3 weeks and nothing. This is the longest i have ever gone without a period.. Thoughts?!

Re: To all my fellow pcos girls out there!!

• Everyone is different, so my fertility has nothing to do with yours, but I generally get one to three (sometimes four) periods each year when not on BCP. My sister-in-law gets them them even less often.
  • Before I lost some weight, I would only get them every 3-6 months.

PCOS kind of sucks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Me: 26, DH: 31
    Married: August 13, 2011
    Due Date: June 15, 2017
    Fur Babies: Remi (Labrador, 9) and Brutus (Pug, 4)
  • Loading the player...
  • PCOS definitely kind of sucks
  • To quote TCOYF: "PCOS is not for sissies.". We are warriors! 

The longest when I was actually tracking my cycles was 48. But I went 13 months without one after going off of BC and that was a doozy. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • styler91styler91 member
    edited July 2015
    Last year when I came off BC, I only had 2 periods.. .and they were because my doctor gave me Provera to start them.... since then, the longest I've gone is 98 days.... 

I agree - it sucks. 

ETA: however my shortest once since has been 26 days.... 

ME: 24 | HIM: 30
    Dr put me on BC pills at age 18 to regulate period. 
    <3 Got Married July 2013  <3
    TTC: Since Jan. 2014. 
    Diagnosed with PCOS Fall 2014. (Not IR)
    Fertility Acupuncture March 2015 - December 2015
    First BFP on 2/6/2016!

(Typical Cycle length 35-48 days)

• 25 to 50 (ish)
  • mrskalmrskal member
    I hAve pcos, but my cycle is 30 days, give or take a day or two(depending on ovulation)
    I am not over weight, exercise when work allows, and healthy lifestyle.

Are you overweight? On medication? Did you see a doctor?
  • Honest question from someone without PCOS: does it only suck because you're TTC and ovulating more frequently would help that cause, or is there more to it? From an outsider's POV, 2 periods a year would be awesome (if I'm not actively TTC).
  • Honest question from someone without PCOS: does it only suck because you're TTC and ovulating more frequently would help that cause, or is there more to it? From an outsider's POV, 2 periods a year would be awesome (if I'm not actively TTC).

Infertility is the main reason, but you also have the acne, weight gain, and excess hair growth (I'm going to be super honest here: I have to shave my chine every morning and my pits get 5 o'clock shadows). Plus pcos often coincides with thyroid issues, which aren't fun, either.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Me: 26, DH: 31
    Married: August 13, 2011
    Due Date: June 15, 2017
    Fur Babies: Remi (Labrador, 9) and Brutus (Pug, 4)
  • Probably 3 months, but I have been on the pill for a while so it is hard to remember. We'll see now that I'm off BCP, trying to exercise and eat right, and taking metformin.

jnnfrrose6 - I ditto others on what sucks about PCOS. Another thing that sucks about PCOS is that (at least for me), PCOS makes it much harder to lose weight. So, while losing weight helps the symptoms, losing weight is hard. Metformin has helped me with that. Also, I've had long periods of bleeding as well as long periods with no AF. The acne has been a real problem for me since I was a teenager. I also hear that PCOS makes MC more likely, which scares the beejeebus out of me. For some people, there is pain associated with the cysts, which obviously sucks too.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Pcos also increases the risk for some cancers.
  • styler91styler91 member
    edited July 2015
    Honest question from someone without PCOS: does it only suck because you're TTC and ovulating more frequently would help that cause, or is there more to it? From an outsider's POV, 2 periods a year would be awesome (if I'm not actively TTC).

For me, it sucks because you have other symptoms too... its hard to loose weight, most of mine stays around my lower abdomen area - so I have a plumper lower half and no boobs... that SUCKS!. 
    It also causes a high risk for heart diseases, diabetes, and ovarian cancer... 

with hormones being all wack, it causes problems with appearances: Acne, hair growth, weight gain, etc. so it can make you feel really self conscious about your body, and sometimes depressed.

I was diagnosed last year, but I suspect I have had PCOS since I was 16 (ish?). My doctor then didn't do any investigating on why I didn't have a period often, and just put me on BC pills at 18 to regulate my cycle.... to be honest, I hate that I did that. I wish I caught this back then, so I may not have to struggle as much now to get it under control. 

ETA: Oh, and if you've ever had a cyst bust - you will understand why PCOS Sucks!! I felt like I was being stabbed over and over again.... I ended up in a curled up position until the pain passed. ... I wouldn't wish that pain on my worse enemy (not that I have any enemies. :)

First BFP on 2/6/2016!

Not something to say to a woman with PCOS. I would honestly probably have choice words with someone if they said this to my face. We want to be normal. It's not fucking cool.

OP, my cycles are typically every 60 days.
  • styler91 said:

Honest question from someone without PCOS: does it only suck because you're TTC and ovulating more frequently would help that cause, or is there more to it? From an outsider's POV, 2 periods a year would be awesome (if I'm not actively TTC).

For me, it sucks because you have other symptoms too... its hard to loose weight, most of mine stays around my lower abdomen area - so I have a plumper lower half and no boobs... that SUCKS!. 
    It also causes a high risk for heart diseases, diabetes, and ovarian cancer... 

with hormones being all wack, it causes problems with appearances: Acne, hair growth, weight gain, etc. so it can make you feel really self conscious about your body, and sometimes depressed.

I was diagnosed last year, but I suspect I have had PCOS since I was 16 (ish?). My doctor then didn't do any investigating on why I didn't have a period often, and just put me on BC pills at 18 to regulate my cycle.... to be honest, I hate that I did that. I wish I caught this back then, so I may not have to struggle as much now to get it under control. 

ETA: Oh, and if you've ever had a cyst bust - you will understand why PCOS Sucks!! I felt like I was being stabbed over and over again.... I ended up in a curled up position until the pain passed. ... I wouldn't wish that pain on my worse enemy (not that I have any enemies. :)

This!

I would give up my infrequent periods in a heart beat if it meant relief from the other symptoms. I would never ever wish this on my worst enemy.
  • I am carrying some excess weight but i wouldnt say that i an overweight. Most of it is around my abdomen. I have started to exercise about 4 days a week but to be honest i am not a very healthy eater.. I eat a lot of crap which i need to change.

As for my symptoms i dont have acne, my skin is actually quite clear but i do have the excess hair growth. Ttc at the moment naturally so its getting annoying, but it's probably because I keep thinking about it
    Not something to say to a woman with PCOS. I would honestly probably have choice words with someone if they said this to my face. We want to be normal. It's not fucking cool. OP, my cycles are typically every 60 days.

That's fair, and also why I asked the question. I was clearly ignorant on all of the symptoms of PCOS and the only one really ever discussed (that I've seen generally on TTGP) is that it cause periods to be infrequent, which is clearly a hindrance on TTC. I didn't know what else it encompassed and wanted to know, because as I said, based on what I knew it didn't sound like something bad. I know better now thanks to the ladies responding. It's obviously a lot more than infrequent periods and not fun to have in addition to the struggle it causes when TTC. I'm sorry if how I asked the question was inappropriate.
  • @Mrsdrags
    I started eating a low GI  diet back in December.. I started with one called the Sugar Busters Diet... i did that for a few months, but then I tweaked it to fit me and my lifestyle. It helped me loose some of my weight. But like you - I am not over weight, I just carry a little extra around my lower abdomen area... But that is something you may want to look into trying - cutting out sugars / carbs... its hard, but to me, it was worth it. 
    We are all different, so you may want to play around with different diets, and then make your own that works well for you individually...even if you just cut out things one at a time.. . progress is progress, no matter how small!  

Good luck! 

First BFP on 2/6/2016!

• styler91 said:

@Mrsdrags

I started eating a low GI  diet back in December.. I started with one called the Sugar Busters Diet... i did that for a few months, but then I tweaked it to fit me and my lifestyle. It helped me loose some of my weight. But like you - I am not over weight, I just carry a little extra around my lower abdomen area... But that is something you may want to look into trying - cutting out sugars / carbs... its hard, but to me, it was worth it. 
    We are all different, so you may want to play around with different diets, and then make your own that works well for you individually...even if you just cut out things one at a time.. . progress is progress, no matter how small!  

Good luck! 

I don't have PCOS, but my work BFF does, and she said the Paleo Diet worked really well for her. Same idea with the low carbs.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• josie12367josie12367 member
    edited July 2015
    I have a beard, and an awesome 'stash that I have to pluck/shave daily. I don't want my husband to touch my face cause I'm afraid he'll feel the stubble. I sweat...a lot. Normal deodorant doesn't really work on me, so I'm always afraid that I have pit stains. I've been sitting on panty liners for the past 55 f'days because my body can't decide what it wants to do ...yeah, PCOS (if that's what I even have) sucks hairy monkey balls....

Not only do I look, feel, and sometimes smell unattractive, but I can't give my husband another baby at the moment either....so you can add depressed to the mix *sighs*

OP, longest cycle has been 85 days
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• I sweat...a lot. Normal deodorant doesn't really work on me, so I'm always afraid that I have pit stains.

I feel you - Pit stains... wet pits... It can be freezing cold at my office, and I still have wet pits sometimes! 

good luck to you! 
    First BFP on 2/6/2016!