Infertility

mini ivf.,..anyone do this or know anything about it?

I am in my first IUI cycle right now but pretty sure it didn't work.  Before starting this my RE discussed IUI and IVF with us as well as briefly talking about mini-ivf.  We started with IUI becasue based on my numbers (Last amh was 0.1, Last month FSH was 12.4 and AFC has been about 2-6 (But seems only my right ovary is really working so the 2-6 is on the right ovary) That I have about a 50/50 shot of responding to IVF meds.  We decided to try IUI to see how I respond to those meds before shelling out tons of money to get no response.  I took 5 days of letrozole and 4 shots of Gonal F..did well..Had one lead follicle and 3 other small ones..although up unitl the day of my trigger we only saw 2 follicles..the day of the trigger the doctor found 2 more hiding behind the lead folicle.

Anyway, assuming this months IUI is a negative I feel it makes more sense to go to some sort of IVF.  Insurance covers IUI nad IVF but not the cost of medication.  My husband and I have to discuss this more of course and with the dr but his gut says not to do traditional IVF (He is also super concious of money and the cost scares him a lot without it being a sure thing)  

MY question is has anyone done Mini-ivf and can share you experiences, thoughts, protocol etc.  Or if you haven't but know anything about it or the pros/cons vs. regular IVF and can shed some light that would be great.

Thanks 

Re: mini ivf.,..anyone do this or know anything about it?

• What is mini IVF? I have never heard of this. I am in my first cycle of IUI.
  • riveridgionalriveridgional member
    edited July 2015
    I actually googled this yesterday and found the article I have linked below. I heard this term and was wondering if that meant the doctor could convert an over-stimulated cycle to an ivf procedure. Anyway, I hope this helps in your decision. If you only have to pay for meds, it seems this would be a better option. BUT, according to the article, it's more difficult for the doctor so I would first look and and compare your clinic's success rates for mini-ivf and ivf. Good luck with your decision!

Here's the link: https://www.infertile.com/mini-ivf/
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Loading the player...
  • dvg716dvg716 member
    A friend of mine did a mini-IVF cycle because she has a low ovarian reserve.  Her RE had said they are not a fan of the mini IVF because although easier on the patient, its much harder for the drs and in the end the costs are not much different than a traditional IVF round.  They end up having to do alot more tests because there is no room for mistakes...