November 2015 Moms

Piriformis pain?!

So it seems like I've developed a new symptom. My butt cheeks are killing me!!!! I did some research and it seems to add up to piriformis pain. Not fun at all. :( anyone else having this? It feels like I've been sitting on a stone floor for hours which I have not. Ugh painful!

Re: Piriformis pain?!

• Yes. I also have what is called IT band pain. It runs from the top of your hip down to your knees. It is no fun. Normally I would take ibuprofen to alleviate some of the inflammation but being pregnant that is not an option. I've found that stretching helps along with staying hydrated and shifting positions often. Maybe this will work for you.
  • I haven't had it run along the knees at all. It's strictly been in my butt cheeks. So uncomfortable. It's like an intense I sat on something too hard and too flat surface for too long feeling.
  • Loading the player...
  • flasflas member
    I'm having some crazy pains radiating from my right hip, through the right butt cheek and down my leg a bit. It was so bad the other day that I couldn't walk and had to go home from work. My leg even gave out on me and I almost fell. Argh like seriously how much pain is too much pain. I'm going to be bringing it up at my next appointment.
  • Be careful with this type of pain. I thought I had problems with my piriformis and it turned out to be related to my sacrum. Try to keep off it till you can get it checked out (as much as is reasonable).
  • I was actually thinking about starting a thread on this but you beat me to it! I had bad piriformis syndrome (spasming of that muscle) while training for a triathlon 3 years ago, but it's been giving me no trouble since then...until 2 week ago that is. The weirdest part is that it hurts most while I'm sleeping! I've been waking up a few times each night with the old familiar cramping feeling deep in my butt cheek despite sleeping with a pillow between my knees. Ugh. My yoga teacher suggested that the usual IT band stretches will be helpful (it's different but related to IT band pain), and foam rolling the muscle / rolling on tennis ball right on the butt cheek can help too...but it'll hurt like hell in the process. Sorry you're in pain too, but glad to know I'm not alone!! 
  • Foam roll!!!
  • Hey all, bbsweet, I am a massage therapist and I'm also 24 weeks pregnant. The symptom is called Sciatica. I have it also, it's excruciating. This is my 3rd pregnancy and my pain is more superficial than my other 2 pregnancies. Get a massage on your glute area, chiropractic treatments also help release the SI joints for mobility. Rolling on a foam roller or on a tennis ball helps alleviate the pain also. If the pa in is unbearable to deal with, you can take Extra Strength Tylenol (it is safe in pregnancy).
    Doing a figure 4 stretch, either lying down on floor or sitting in the chair the sore flute (leg) across good knee will help a lot!
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and congratis.
  • I meant glute, not flute.
  • I would also look into pelvic girdle pain. Very common in pregnancy. Especially if it's pain that is isolated to the low back/ glute(s) :) Sciatica is often times pain that runs all the way down the legs.
  • Everyone needs here needs to buy a U Shaped pregnancy pillow, they are life savers for this pain at night. I can actually sleep through most of the night by having one. It's amazing!!
  • flas said:

I'm having some crazy pains radiating from my right hip, through the right butt cheek and down my leg a bit. It was so bad the other day that I couldn't walk and had to go home from work. My leg even gave out on me and I almost fell. Argh like seriously how much pain is too much pain. I'm going to be bringing it up at my next appointment.

This sounds like sciatica and its awful. When I was pregnant with my first child, I had it so bad that I couldn't even walk up the stairs, I had to crawl up them. I remember that it was even hard lifting my legs to get into the bath tub to take a shower. Once I had him, it took a day or two to go away and it was such a relief. The sad thing is that the way it started was from me swiffering the kitchen floor which is something so ridiculously simple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Oh yes. It's really not fun at all. This was the first pain id gotten in my lower back/bottom area (about two months ago) and then it went into tailbone pain and now it's more in my hips. Not sure if it's all related but I can definitely sympathize with you. I had sciatica flare ups pre-pregnancy so I had a feeling I would probably have issues :(. The best luck that I've had so far to manage pain is investing in my snoogle pillow (having the support between my knees seems to help), stretching before bed each night, and sitting on a heating pad (for tailbone Pain i used ice pack too). Hope you get a break from it soon!