Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Losing weight before pregnancy

hey all! I'm back after 5 years with DD and DH has finally agreed to having baby #2 with an agreement of me losing 10-15 lbs. reason being I went through postpartum depression 6 months after having DD. can anyone recommend ideas how I should go about completely this weight loss in a healthy way so I can also continue throughout my pregnancy once I do lose and get pregnant? I'm so excited that he is ready for #2 and so is DD.
thanks all in advance

Re: Losing weight before pregnancy

• Options
    Weight watchers or something along those lines. I did ww for my wedding and by losing weight the healthy way, it's slow and takes time. Ww helped me see the progress and stick with it. One of my friends loves the my fitness pal app.
  • Options
    That's exciting! I would say start small like cutting out unhealthy foods, smaller portions, more fruits and veggies. I've had good results with the FitnessPal app and heard good things about Weight Watchers. Get active, try a walk eveynight or maybe YouTube some workouts you can do in the living room while your DD takes a nap? I just joined a gym and have enjoyed the classes where I think you get a better work out cause they push you more.
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second FitnessPal! If nothing else, it forces me to think about what and how much I eat because I have to write it down in the app. It makes me more conscious of what a serving size is.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Thanks girls I'm gonna look into those options in the morning! I'm super excited
  • Options
    Check out Blogilates.com and blogilatestv on YouTube. Tons of clean eating recipes and amazing workouts. No equipment required for the workouts and you can do them at home. I lost 22lbs following blogilates.
  • Options
    I did the 6 week "Eat to Live" program and lost a little over 20 lbs in 6 weeks. If you don't want to buy the book you can find the guidelines for the diet online. 
  • Options
    I love MyFitnessPal. I'm also using TOPS for support. It's basically an international weight loss/healthy living support club that offers tools and motivation for a lot less money than Weight Watchers ($32/year for online membership.) If you can find a meeting close to you at a convienient time, monthly dues are about $5/month on top of that.

I learned about it from a friend that joined while she was pregnant to help her keep from gaining too much weight, but many of the members are quite a bit older around here.

GL!
  • Options
    As much as I hate this reality, losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Change your diet to lose weight, exercise to get fit. These two are not the same thing! Diet is essentially balancing calories in and calories out. I like tracking calories through Livestrong/My Plate. My best recommendations are to not go to an extremely low calorie diet. Women need at least 1200 calories a day to maintain basic bodily metabolism (read: brain function, heart function, etc). Eat less than that, and you risk sending your body into starvation mode. You don't need to do fad diets or juice cleanses. Eat good, whole foods in modest portions. Protein, fiber, and healthy fats will keep you feeling full longer. Some whole grain crackers or fruit with peanut butter will be a much healthier choice than a 100 calorie snack pack or fat-free yogurt packed with sugar or artificial sweeteners. I lost 50 lbs with this philosophy a few years ago, and gained it all back once I abandoned my healthy lifestyle. I'm now down 10 lbs and on the long hard road back. Whatever changes you make, make sure that they fit in with your life and attitude in a sustainable way. There is no point killing yourself for two hours at the gym every day if that's not something you can sustain for the rest of your life. TLDR: make sure you approach weight loss in a healthy and sustainable way, whatever options you try!
    This! I pretty much did the same thing, with 30 minutes of exercise 4-5 times per week and lost 20 pounds in 2 months and have maintained it.  I would still like to lose more, but I let myself backslide and haven't stuck with it.  I am back to eating healthier now and adding in exercise a few times a week (working up to my 4 x per week).  I love MyFitnessPal.
  • Options
    I second the food scale.  You can get them pretty cheap now and it's a real eye opener.  Portions are not what you think they are until you weigh/measure them out.  
  • Options
    A food scale is a must! It lives on the counter at my house, and has helped DH and I to lose a collective 85 pounds (along with the other things I mentioned.)
  • Options
    There was a "Whats your favorite workout" GTKY that is probably a couple pages back by now but that had some really great fitness inspiration in it too.

This board inspires me in way more areas than just TTC! :) 

Thanks all for being open and honest about your diet and exercise tips.
  • Options
    I'm currently doing Curves Complete and that's working great for me. Already lost 12lbs in six weeks (but I am very big so I burn more calories than people with a lower start weight). You start with a week of 1200 calories a day and then go on to 1500 calories per day. I'm going to keep going with that until I get KU, and then go to 2000 a day, but still using their recipes and exercising until my bump gets too big. Exercising is an essential part of it, but it's only 30 minutes a session so NBD. I'm a total couch potato/lazybones and I totally manage 3-4 sessions a week.

Food scales are great. I think I got mine too wet or something because it wouldn't turn on just now and I feel totally lost. :P
  • Options
    Whatever you do, one of the biggest things that can help you is cutting out anything with hydrogenated oil, canola oil, and artificial sweeteners in your diet. The number one thing the clinic tells bariatric surgery patients is to eat healthy fats (like omega-3s, nuts, avocados), cut your portions to a normal size, exercise for 30 minutes 5-6 times a week, and eat 6 smaller meals a day instead of three larger ones. Now, bariatric patients generally have very high BMIs, so you wouldn't have to exercise as often, but on the same token, exercise won't really help you lose weight unless you change your diet. It can help to increase your metabolism, so it is important, but you can lose weight without it just by altering your diet. The key is to make a plan you can actually stick with. Good luck!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I agree with a lot that has been said already! I'm currently trying to lose weight before pregnancy as well! I love myfitnesspal. It has helped me lose 5 pounds already in a little over three weeks. Also, working out even if it's a simple walk on the treadmill. Nothing too overbearing on your body. This is a great thread because I feel like a lot of women wonder the same thing! Goodluck!
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    I wanted to loose weight and be more healthy and my doctor recommended Whole30. I looked into it. Everything you need to know if available on their website for free. It has changed my perspective on eating. It's a program similar to paleo and the focus is on learning about how food effect you so you can make better choices. It is only 30 days plus a reintroduction of 10 days if you choose. The first one I did I lost 12 lbs and my husband lost 17 lbs on diet alone, I think I worked out twice that month only. It has been about a year and I am down 30 lbs, I haven't been strict Whole30 that whole time but I definitely have learned how to nourish my body better. I would recommend this to anyone. I have attached a photo so you can see my results. Www.whole30.com
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    ftrMrs0 said:
    While I think PPs are on the right track here, I'm with @lalala2004 when asking "wut?". 

I understand the necessity of giving yourself the best chance during and after pregnancy for a healthy weight----I'm just confused on your H giving you an ultimatum and proverbial "carrot on a stick" situation in regard to losing weight.  If you want to lose weight, great, go for it, but for your H to dangle that in front of your face---I don't get it.  Also, I'm not sure I understand the weight loss and tying to postpartum depression.  Is one causation for other, or...?

I think everyone's PPD is different, but hers may have been tied to her weight. I know my depression and anxiety were tied to my weight. I do agree though, It seems kind of cruel that DH would do that, but on the same token it might just be that their family works well on incentives. I think that part's probably personal and she might not want to share. 
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    But she did share. She didn't say "I want to lose weight" she said "DH has agreed we can have a baby if I lose weight"
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    0Face0Face member
    And the beauty of forums is---if she doesn't want to answer, she doesn't have to.  I just was curious if this was something that might start a line of thinking that would bring about discussion, IF that person wants to.

Formerly: FtrMrsO

Me: 34  DH: 35

Married: Oct. 2007

TTC #1:  June 2015

BFP#1 3/19/16  MC 3/28/16

BFP #2 5/26/16 EDD 1/31/17

• Options
    I didn't mean anything by it >,< I just meant past what she already has. Sorry ladies. 
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    coffeeB4teacoffeeB4tea member
    edited July 2015
    As much as I hate this reality, losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Change your diet to lose weight, exercise to get fit. These two are not the same thing! Diet is essentially balancing calories in and calories out. I like tracking calories through Livestrong/My Plate. My best recommendations are to not go to an extremely low calorie diet. Women need at least 1200 calories a day to maintain basic bodily metabolism (read: brain function, heart function, etc). Eat less than that, and you risk sending your body into starvation mode. You don't need to do fad diets or juice cleanses. Eat good, whole foods in modest portions. Protein, fiber, and healthy fats will keep you feeling full longer. Some whole grain crackers or fruit with peanut butter will be a much healthier choice than a 100 calorie snack pack or fat-free yogurt packed with sugar or artificial sweeteners. I lost 50 lbs with this philosophy a few years ago, and gained it all back once I abandoned my healthy lifestyle. I'm now down 10 lbs and on the long hard road back. Whatever changes you make, make sure that they fit in with your life and attitude in a sustainable way. There is no point killing yourself for two hours at the gym every day if that's not something you can sustain for the rest of your life. TLDR: make sure you approach weight loss in a healthy and sustainable way, whatever options you try!
    This! I lost 35 pounds a few years ago just eating mindfully and cutting out a lot of the junk. I also found an exercise program that was fun & joined with a friend (we did a bootcamp, but really it could have been anything) I kept it off for 2 years before I stopped paying attention and gained some of it back. I'm working my way back to that point now though.

Also, I really hope that you are losing this weight for yourself and not for YH or anyone else. Health and weight are such personal commitments are usually more sustainable if you make the decision to pursue them of your own choice.
    Triple LFAF IVF Cycle:

• Options
    0Face0Face member
    @FireInWonderland No need for apologies, we're all good here.  My curiosity was just piqued.

Formerly: FtrMrsO

Me: 34  DH: 35

Married: Oct. 2007

TTC #1:  June 2015

BFP#1 3/19/16  MC 3/28/16

BFP #2 5/26/16 EDD 1/31/17

• Options
    jnnfrrose6jnnfrrose6 member
    edited July 2015
    hey all! I'm back after 5 years with DD and DH has finally agreed to having baby #2 with an agreement of me losing 10-15 lbs. reason being I went through postpartum depression 6 months after having DD. can anyone recommend ideas how I should go about completely this weight loss in a healthy way so I can also continue throughout my pregnancy once I do lose and get pregnant? I'm so excited that he is ready for #2 and so is DD. thanks all in advance
    Ok, maybe I'm looking for trouble where there is none, but are you saying your DH will not have another baby with you unless you lose weight? As an ultimatum? There's nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight and be healthy if you need to, but this seems like a questionable arrangement on his end.... If you want to lose the weight, great. If you are only losing it because he wants you to, and won't have a baby with you unless you do, I think that's a problem. If I've misunderstood, please forgive me.

This was what I got from it as well. DH is only on with having another *if* OP loses some weight? And the "finally agrees to having #2" reads weird to me to, like its something he didn't/doesn't want, but he finally broke down and agreed only if OP loses the weight. Clearly tone and background are missing, but those are some red flags to me.
  • Options
    Joining this party a little late but I would second a couple of these posts: I have done WW and blogilates and have had wonderful outcomes with both of them. I have found that actually attending WW meetings has been the most helpful for me. Once I abandoned going to meetings and not working out as frequently, I gained 10 pounds back. I've also heard good things about Yoga with Adrienne. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP about My Fitness Pal, eating healthier, and proper portions. I like to go for walks and I use Jillian Michaels DVDs sometimes. Jillian Michaels will give you a good, quick workout with strength training if you can't make it outside or to the gym. 
  • Options
    I don't know if you drink a lot of caffeine but I do know when I stopped I lost about 8 lbs just an idea to get you started in a small way
  • Options
    I would also agree that the idea of having a #2 is more of a conditional idea based on the way it has been presented but maybe the presentation was incorrect.

My 2 cents on weight loss are that I would completely agree with the 80% of the weight loss is from diet change.  I did a cleanse last year and didn't work out at all during that time or maybe was doing yoga?  I noticed a significant difference in the way my clothes fit at the end of the 3 weeks of the cleanse.  Diet plays a huge role in overall body composition and function.  I've spent some time with some seriously physically fit individuals whose key phrase when people would ask them about ways to tone up and lose weight was "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym".  You can work out all day long 5-6 days a week but if you are eating McDonald's everyday you will still not get the results you are looking for. I would recommend a good protein shake also to help with any cravings.  I use a product called Isagenix and I have my shake every morning for breakfast.  I feel like if I start my day on the right track, its easier for me to keep making good choices all day.

Also, try anything and everything as far as workouts go, especially if you've never been very active before.  You won't know whether or not you like something unless you try it and keeping a variety of things in your workout routine is beneficial in so many ways!! It will help keep you from getting bored, you'll meet that many more people that share that interest and help keep you motivated and its good for muscle confusion so that you see more results.  Weight lifting is also a huge thing too that so many women especially leave out of their routine.  

Good Luck!
  • Options
    I have had great success with a nutritionist. Basically eating a little healthier, eating at the right times to keep your metabolism running, exercise whether it's 10mins a day or 1hr you have to stay somewhat active. Try setting up an appointment with a nutritionist, it's no gimmicks, no pills, just real life! If you want some tips google nutrish mich, we love her!!! Me and my husband have lost a total of 110lbs since feb! Good luck in whatever you do!!
  • Options
    We also only drink water or seltzer we have eliminated all other drinks except our coffee in the am :)

• Options
    Weight loss is a great thing. Over the past few years, I've lost nearly 80 pounds from diet and some exercise, but mostly diet changes. However, I find this post odd. 10-15 pounds, although great, it not a significant amount of weight that would make anyone NOT have PPD after birthing a child. That's something caused by hormonal imbalance and other factors. The fact that OP specifically stated that her DH agreed to TTC ONLY IF she would agree to lose weight first, strikes a nerve with me and I'm surprised it didn't with others as well way before the posts that were made. I would like to hear from OP a little more explanation, but she seems to have gone missing. 
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Options
    lest12lest12 member

I also did a double take on DH's weight-loss requirement.  I hope there is more to it than the way it was presented because it sounds really messed up.

image        image

• Options

Weight loss is a great thing. Over the past few years, I've lost nearly 80 pounds from diet and some exercise, but mostly diet changes. However, I find this post odd. 10-15 pounds, although great, it not a significant amount of weight that would make anyone NOT have PPD after birthing a child. That's something caused by hormonal imbalance and other factors. The fact that OP specifically stated that her DH agreed to TTC ONLY IF she would agree to lose weight first, strikes a nerve with me and I'm surprised it didn't with others as well way before the posts that were made. I would like to hear from OP a little more explanation, but she seems to have gone missing. 

I completely skimmed over the DH part last night... That's what I get for bumping late at night. I agree that this is a huge red flag for me too. If DH ever told me that I had to lose weight before I could do ANYTHING, there would be hell to pay. OP, I seriously hope that you just phrased it badly, and that what you meant is that your DH is just trying to encourage you to get fit because he knows your weight was a big part of your PPD last time. As you wrote it though, it sounds very sketchy!!

• Options
    I second the Whole30, especially if you need a basis for starting to eat well. I have done about 4 rounds and lose around 10lbs each time (yet gain it back when I start eating unhealthy again :-q ). But it still gave me a better understanding of how to eat well and what type of food I should stick to. It also helps with so many other things (ie sleep issues, skin problems, etc)!

It takes dedication but is so worth it!
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options

I completely skimmed over the DH part last night... That's what I get for bumping late at night. I agree that this is a huge red flag for me too. If DH ever told me that I had to lose weight before I could do ANYTHING, there would be hell to pay. OP, I seriously hope that you just phrased it badly, and that what you meant is that your DH is just trying to encourage you to get fit because he knows your weight was a big part of your PPD last time. As you wrote it though, it sounds very sketchy!!

I'm so sorry I also posted late and didn't realize how that came across. DH is encouraging me to be more fit before getting pregnant. It bothered me when he said it to me and I'm not a big girl to begin with I'm 5'2 159 lbs when I was pregnant with DD they I was borderline diabetic which is another reason he's worried about my weight. Based on weight charts and such my size and weight are considered "obese" I'm
    Also very self conscious of my weight so as much as it bothered me that he said to lose weight I'm understanding it's just to look out for me.
    We moved out of state about two years ago so this will be our first baby without our parents and other relatives around.
    Hope this helped a little, sorry about the OP it was late and I was up sick.
  • Options
    OP that makes more sense. You and I are about the exact same height and weight and so I can definitely identify with you there. I also complain to my DH fairly consistently about my weight but yet haven't done much to change it, but he still supports me 100% and I hope yours does as well. In the end, don't beat yourself up if you don't get to your 'ideal body' before you become pregnant. The important thing is to be healthy for yourself and for future baby.
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Options
    Thanks for coming back to clarify, OP. It does sound like he is just concerned for your health.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Really sorry ladies I was diagnosed yesterday with a bad upper respiratory infection and this morning conjunctivitis in both eyes. I was up late bc I was sick and should have proof read and clarified better :) but now I hope I was able to answer questions that were asked.
  • Options
    OP that makes sense.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16