December 2015 Moms

2nd d+c

Hey all-
I've been absent for ages, mostly because I'm no longer pregnant... so, you get it.

My baby had a chromosomal abnormality (Turner's) as well as life-threatening cystic hygroma and it was recommended I terminate the pregnancy sooner rather than later, as the baby was already very sick and the baby's hydrops could start a "mirror syndrome" in me making me sick as well.  I had an induction at 14wks and gave birth to my little girl 12hrs later, but couldn't pass the placenta, so ended up with a d+c anyway.  It was a month yesterday since the induction and I was still spotting.  After a hcg test (only 4, but should be 0), and a scan showed sgnificant tissue left behind as well as blood flow to the area, they decided a second d+c was in order, as infection would be likely to occur soon and my body seemed unwilling to pass the tissue on it's own. So I did that yesterday- it was quick enough, and I'm already back home.

So really, I'm here because I have a question though for anyone who has been through something like this before:  I've just had a second d+c and I wanted to know what to expect.  If you've been through something like this before please post and let me know!  So far I bled a little at the hospital but almost nothing here at home.  I haven't really been up and about, just resting... but I really feel pretty decent.  Some cramps, but I more think they're food related (I didn't eat anything for nearly 24 hrs yesterday, so I'm just processing, I'm sure...). 

I'm hoping that everything is truly cleared out this time and that I stop bleeding quickly.  Really ready to move on, get a few periods and try again... feeling sad to be thrown back to square one, but hoping for less spotting and faster healing now....
Please let me know if anyone has any experiences to share.  Thanks for all your support ladies.  I really hope to post something positive on here soon!!!

1st Pregnancy: EDD 12/31/15; Diagnosed Turner's with terminal cystic hygroma 13wks; induced at 14wks, +3 d+c's.
2nd Pregnancy: BFP 10/8/15; EDD 6/21/16

Re: 2nd d+c

• So sorry, no experience but thinking of you and hope you get your answers. Again sorry for your loss.
  • I'm so sorry you had to go through that and for the loss of your daughter. I hope that the bleeding subsides and that your HCG zeros out soon. I have heard that it can take a few weeks to completely drop. I wish you the best and take care of yourself. Get your rest and heal. Thoughts are with you.
  • Loading the player...
  • nram25nram25 member
    Hey I don't have any experience just wanted to give you my condolences..Sorry for lost and I'm praying for a speedy recovery.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss! There are just no words for a loss like that.
    Please know you're in my thoughts.
  • No advice but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you!
  • So sorry for the loss of your little angel. You are in my thoughts.
  • So sorry for the loss of your little angel. You are in my thoughts.
  • tesarytesary member
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you.
  • I don't have any experience with this. But I wanted to give you my condolences on the loss of your daughter. Hope everything goes good this time and you will get your rainbow baby soon.
  • I am very sorry for your loss. People really respond to D&C differently. Some people will have little to no bleeding, some will have some light bleeding. For the most part I would recommend you take it easy, give yourself time to heal and if you have significant bleeding or painful cramping contact your OB or PCP to be seen right away.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter and that you had to endure a 2nd d&c. Wish I could offer you some information but no experience here. Fingers crossed for a rainbow baby soon!

SaveSave
  • I am so so very sorry this has happened to you. I have had 2 d&cs, 2 seperate pregnancies and one complete miscarriage, and both times I bled for about a week and a half and had mild cramping. It was worse when I didn't drink enough water.
    After my first d&c I got pregnant after 2 cycles. After my second one (this current pregnancy) I never had a period inbetween. DH and I had intercourse once 11 days after the surgery and that's when I became pregnant. I didn't realize it could happen that quickly so if you are wanting a wait period, use contraceptive. Feel free to PM me, best of luck. I hope to see you back on the bump soon.
  • I didn't have a second d and c only one... Unfortunately for me the dr. said I'd feel pain, wear the diaper mesh for a few days and stock up on pads. I had zero pain for three days and no blood clots/loss. Day four I was in horrible pain, unbearable but since she warned me I just cried through it for about 15 hours. At my day five check up they thought I might have to go a second round. But, I found out I was actually passing kidney stones and my d and c at the same time! The only thing they could think of was the prenatal vitamins had calcified. It's rare (don't I feel lucky). So I felt like I had a double whammy. I'm so sorry for your loss. Mine was last February and we got pregnant in April so a little over a year later. Thinking of you and your family!!
  • I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of love and FX for your rainbow baby! (((Hugs)))

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss, i can't imagine having to go through what you are. Stay strong and keep your head up, you will get your sticky baby soon!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.
  • I'm sorry you had to go through that. I don't know much about what you are experiencing, but you and your loved ones will be in my prayers.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Hugs and prayers
  • So sorry to hear your news; take time to recover and I'll be thinking of you and your family.
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bled for a couple of weeks after my D+C but straight after hospital for a couple days was very light and painless and then after a few days it got heavier and slightly more painful, few days after it just went down to spotting really and carried on like that for a few weeks, stopped, had a period for a day, and then got pregnant in the first month of trying with my rainbow baby. Dr had said we are most fertile after a loss and they we'rent joking. Thinking of you at this terrible time and I hope you get better soon and get your precious rainbow baby soon. Thinking of you
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I did not have a 2nd D&C but I also had retained tissue following my first D&C. I was so sick I couldn't get up for literally weeks. I ended up taking an ambulance back in and having to finish up the m/c at home with Cytotec.

My experience may have been atypical. I was still bleeding off and on 6 weeks after the first D&C. It also can be very hard to zero out with betas. They can drop fast or can linger around those levels for a long time (1-2 months.) my best advise to you would be to keep being monitored closely and listen to your body. If it tells you to rest, try to listen.

You can PM me anytime. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
  • I had two D & Cs last year as I had a miscarriage, then the first D & C then I bled for 9 weeks and had to have another as the doctor left some behind. The recovery after the second was pretty quick. Tired the first day or two and a little sore, well kinda, not hugely, then stopped bleeding after a week. As I had the two D & Cs so closely together I had to wait 3 months before trying again for my body to get back to normal and let my uterus heal properly. Good luck and best wishes to you with your journey xo
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope your body heals soon and you can try for your rainbow baby. 
  • April2014, I was got sick and ended up in the ER with fever and vomiting every 15 minutes. I was 17 weeks along and my baby had passed away. I was induced to have him... He came out of me around 2 am and so did a whole lot of blood... Soft ball sized clots. The drs put 1 bag of blood in me before the d/c and 1after. I did not bleed after the d/c and had no physical pain. Emotional pain was absolutely the worst. I cried for about 6 weeks. I went on birthcontrol pills to give my body time to recover before trying again. I had 2 real cycles after I stopped taking the pills and now we are expecting twins. They are healthy and growing well so far.

I shared all that in the hope that you find some encouragement/hope for yourself. I am sorry you had to go through that loss.
  • fioripfiorip member
    Having a d&c it's a very traumatic experience. I've seen patients cry through the entire procedure from the emotional toll, not the physical pain. It's a very hard thing for doctors to do and the procedure itself even though is "simple" it tends to be tricky and deceiving. Take your time to heal your body, heal your soul, it's never easy to lose a child at any stage. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope you can get pass this and have a beautiful baby in your arms soon.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Sending you my condolences for your loss along with many thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
  • Sending you hugs!
  • Hugs and warm thoughts , you'll be ok :) take extra time to take extra care of yourself and love yourself through the pain
  • Sending my thoughts and prayers your way, I'm so sorry you're going through this.
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. With my 2nd loss, I had a d&c at 10 weeks. Continued heavy bleeding off and on for 3 months. The did another ultrasound and found tissue they missed. After the second d&c, the spotting was much much lighter and stopped within 1-2 weeks. 
    MC @ 6 weeks 11/2008
    MMC @ 10 weeks, D&C 3/2009
    Princess P IUGR miracle 05/04/10

Mr. M 09/22/11
    MC @ 6 weeks 06/2012
    MC @ 7 weeks 09/2012

Baby J 07/12/13

EDD 12/5/2015
  • Thinking.of you! Sorry for your loss- I hope you get your rainbow baby soon ♡
  • Oh I'm so sorry for loss and all that you are going through. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for healing both physically and emotionally.
  • Thank you all for you kind words and thoughtful responses. 
    So far so good....2 days no bleeding-- not counting my chickens just yet, but wouldn't it be nice if I just *didn't bleed* and a month from now got my period?  Can't hurt to dream.  Feeling pretty decent and hoping to heal much faster this time.  Thanks again everyone.
    1st Pregnancy: EDD 12/31/15; Diagnosed Turner's with terminal cystic hygroma 13wks; induced at 14wks, +3 d+c's.
    2nd Pregnancy: BFP 10/8/15; EDD 6/21/16

• I'm so sorry for your loss!
    I have had two d&c's, two seperate pregnancies, and the first one I was farther along so there was much more bleeding. I remember large clots for about a week. The second one I wasn't as far along and only bled lightly for a couple of days! I'm guessing because they got the majority of the tissue out the first go around that you won't bleed as much but I could be wrong as every body is different.
    I'll be keeping you in my prayers!