1st Trimester
Options

4 weeks pregnant + unhappy mother

Recently I found out I was pregnant for the first time after two positive tests on two different days. I know it's still too early to really get excited, but I was hoping that my mother would show an ounce of happiness but she hasn't. She was the first phone call I made when I found out I was pregnant and all she kept saying was that with blood work, it could turn out to be false and not to get my hopes up. I get that. Then today on the phone we were talking and she told me that if the doctor confirms its a negative, that she wants to "talk about my life with me," aka tell me why at 25 my husband and I shouldn't be having kids yet cause we haven't done this or that, etc.

It's really discouraging how unsupportive and pessimistic she is. My mum is usually my support system but right now it feels like the opposite. It almost seems like she would rather have me not pregnant right now. My mother is very loving towards me, so I guess I find her attitude unusual.

Re: 4 weeks pregnant + unhappy mother

• Options
    Talk to her and tell you how you feel then. Especially if this is unusual behavior for her. Congrats on your BFP!
  • Options
    Has your mother ever experienced a miscarriage or false positive pregnancy test? It is possible she is trying to manage expectations and save you from a hurt that she has experienced. Its also possible she is just being a kermudgin. Either way, dont let her steal your joy. CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kata18kata18 member
    Honestly, I don't think she experienced either of those. She did however have my older sibling right after high school and me a few years later. Starting to wonder if that's what this is really about... having a baby too early without "experiencing" life first.

Thanks for all the congrats :)
  • Options
    Sorry. My mom is an asshole too. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was 18 when I was pregnant with my first. She will get over it. Once the baby's here she will be estatic !!
  • Options
    Sometimes parents just have this idea of how their kids should live their lives and we have to remind them kindly that we have our own ideas, hopes,and dreams! :) she might think she's saving you from being a mother too early or something, especially since she was so young when she had her first, but that varies from person to person since we are all different with different ideas and opinions! Maybe remind her that you don't feel like you're missing out on anything by being pregnant, but that you feel you will be experiencing life more fully! :) good luck, and congrats! :)
  • Options
    Ignore her.
  • Options
    Don't worry, my mom was the same way. The first time I found out I was pregnant, I hung up on her. I hung up on her this time too when I told her. I think she was just in shock so much that she said some stupid things. When your baby gets here, all of that will change, trust me. She will be so happy...hopefully...if not, just throw some dirty diapers in her car on a hot summer day. ;) 

• Options
    For my first pregnancy I was 21, in college, and not married. No one in my family was happy... until I had my son and everyone fell in love him. I agree with PPs, your mom may be grumpy now, but just wait until she's holding your bundle of joy. 
      BabyFruit Ticker      image