February 2016 Moms

Firing my ob... furious!

alisonclay1alisonclay1 member
edited July 2015 in February 2016 Moms
I've had 2 appointments with this ob and she will not listen to me. I went in the first time on July 17 and they did an ultrasound. They couldn't see the baby at all and assumed I was about a week and a half to two weeks earlier than I thought and she brought up possible early miscarriage. Okay, I was upset, but I had also been worried about it. We scheduled another ultrasound for a weeks time to check everything out again. Later that day I am looking through the app I use to track my periods and realize that it's got me having 2 periods in may and it dawns on me all the sudden that I was late in may, over a week late. We go back and BAM there's baby! I see it clear as day and so does hubby. We're so happy! Then we get to the room to talk to the doctor, she still wants to say I've miscarried, even after I explain to her the mix up, because she didn't see a heartbeat yet. Now though the baby is measuring at just over 6 weeks (right smack on track with the lmp). We then convince her to give us 2 more weeks and to recheck everything then before we make any decisions. Now here's where I'm angry, I checked my records from the last visit online yesterday and she's put in the records that I've already miscarried. I'm livid! I haven't miscarried, the baby has shown obvious growth and my hcg levels have been rising. Also, symptoms haven't dropped of at all, they're increasing and new ones coming on occasionally. I'm at 9 weeks right now, so if I went in for another ultrasound today, baby should measure at 7 weeks and aside from obvious discomforts of a first trimester pregnancy, I feel great!

I'm not really asking for any advice or anything, I just needed to vent.

Re: Firing my ob... furious!

• I would be livid too! Hope you have better luck with a new OB!
  • I'm so sorry you have to go through this! She's doing a great job making an already stressful situation even more stressful!! I'd definitely make an appointment with another OB explaining to them that you're pregnant and want to be seen ASAP so you can get another opinion. At this point, even if everything works out perfectly (I'm crossing my fingers it does!) you already don't trust this OB to make the best decisions for your health and your baby's, and I feel like that will be too hard to overcome!
    The only thing to maybe keep in mind, it she has to use actual diagnosis codes to bill your insurance/document on your chart so if you're seeing "threatened miscarriage" or something similar, that's how they have to bill.
  • Loading the player...
  • This post is very confusing. If you're 9 weeks today, why would the baby measure 7 weeks? You had two periods in May, but they were late? Your doc insists you're miscarrying, but you're sure you're not? She is basing that only on the fact that she couldn't find a heartbeat? That doesn't seem right.

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I feel like I'm missing something here, which probably means you are missing some information as well. I would talk to the doc again, even though you are not comfortable with her, because you need to know what's going on in your body and get all the information.
  • I'd definitely try checking with another office just to be sure. It will give you a second opinion and maybe someone who will take a little more time and care to either ease your fear or confirm a loss. Either way, it seems really insensitive of your OB to be so cold about it. FX for you that it all works out. When are you supposed to go back again?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • cantobean said:
    This post is very confusing. If you're 9 weeks today, why would the baby measure 7 weeks? You had two periods in May, but they were late? Your doc insists you're miscarrying, but you're sure you're not? She is basing that only on the fact that she couldn't find a heartbeat? That doesn't seem right. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I feel like I'm missing something here, which probably means you are missing some information as well. I would talk to the doc again, even though you are not comfortable with her, because you need to know what's going on in your body and get all the information.
    Her app tracked 2 periods.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Yes I'm very confused too. I don't understand the two periods thing or the 9 weeks but measuring 7 either. Maybe your OB also didn't understand what you were trying to tell her.... or maybe she does but you guys aren't on the same page. I would talk to her again and see why she has written down "miscarriage", and then try to get on the same page. If that doesn't work definitely ditch this one and find a new OB and figure things out.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"

• cantobean said:

This post is very confusing. If you're 9 weeks today, why would the baby measure 7 weeks? You had two periods in May, but they were late? Your doc insists you're miscarrying, but you're sure you're not? She is basing that only on the fact that she couldn't find a heartbeat? That doesn't seem right.

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I feel like I'm missing something here, which probably means you are missing some information as well. I would talk to the doc again, even though you are not comfortable with her, because you need to know what's going on in your body and get all the information.

Her app tracked 2 periods.

....again, what? So her phone app invented a period? Or something?
  • Basically it did. It went ahead and tracked when I was supposed to have my period and then tracked from when I went and put in my period. It didn't erase the orgional one that didn't actually happen, like it's supposed to.
  • From your lmp is how many weeks pregnant you are, but the babies actual age in the womb is typically 2 weeks after your lmp. That's where the measurement comes from.
  • I am confused too. If they measure the baby at 6 weeks, minus the 2 weeks between period and ovulation, your fetal age is technically 4 weeks, but you are 6 weeks pregnant. So, of you are saying you are 9 weeks, but the baby 'should' only measure 7 weeks, you may be misinformed. If you are 9 weeks, the baby should measure 9 weeks. I will be 11 weeks tomorrow and baby measured 11 weeks at today's ultrasound. however, I got pregnant 9 weeks ago, I am positive because 12 weeks ago I had a d&c for miscarriage. The dating ultrasounds account for those two weeks.
  • I think that depends partially on the doctor. That is just how she's been doing it.
  • If you don't agree with her opinion I think it would be good to seek another opinion from a different doctor.

If you are correct and your doctor is wrong sounds like you won't want to be working with her anyways.

Let us know how it goes. Fx it goes the way you want. Simply update on the original thread.
  • I've had 2 appointments with this ob and she will not listen to me. I went in the first time on July 17 and they did an ultrasound. They couldn't see the baby at all and assumed I was about a week and a half to two weeks earlier than I thought and she brought up possible early miscarriage. Okay, I was upset, but I had also been worried about it. We scheduled another ultrasound for a weeks time to check everything out again. Later that day I am looking through the app I use to track my periods and realize that it's got me having 2 periods in may and it dawns on me all the sudden that I was late in may, over a week late. We go back and BAM there's baby! I see it clear as day and so does hubby. We're so happy! Then we get to the room to talk to the doctor, she still wants to say I've miscarried, even after I explain to her the mix up, because she didn't see a heartbeat yet. Now though the baby is measuring at just over 6 weeks (right smack on track with the lmp). We then convince her to give us 2 more weeks and to recheck everything then before we make any decisions. Now here's where I'm angry, I checked my records from the last visit online yesterday and she's put in the records that I've already miscarried. I'm livid! I haven't miscarried, the baby has shown obvious growth and my hcg levels have been rising. Also, symptoms haven't dropped of at all, they're increasing and new ones coming on occasionally. I'm at 9 weeks right now, so if I went in for another ultrasound today, baby should measure at 7 weeks and aside from obvious discomforts of a first trimester pregnancy, I feel great!

I'm not really asking for any advice or anything, I just needed to vent.

Qfp (quote for posterity- just in case anyone doesn't know)
  • Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope this turns out well for you! Unfortunately, though, as others have stated, the baby should measure in line with your LMP. You state that since you're 9 weeks now, the baby should measure 7 weeks, but that's not correct. It should measure 9 weeks. It is correct that you've been "pregnant" for 7 weeks, but the measurement should be in line with your LMP as this is accounted for. Sorry again to hear about this stress and you should definitely find a new doctor if you're not comfortable with yours.
  • Something like this happened to me. Not with respect to the phone app, but with a preliminary diagnosis of miscarriage. At 6w3d the fetal pole measured 5.2mm Crown to Rump Length, but no heartbeat. Our health guidelines state that this is a miscarriage but of course a final diagnosis should not be made without a confirming ultrasound after a certain period of time.

You are focusing on the confusion about the dates relating to whether the doctor understood the date of your LMP. But I am not convinced that the date of your LMP is the basis of the doctor's notation re: miscarriage....

This is an emotional time and it is normal to be scared and nervous and confused. I am not sure based on what I have read that the doctor has given you reason to be angry though...

Please do keep us posted.

FWIW the next ultrasound for us adjusted our dating and revealed a healthy heartbeat. Fingers crossed for you and your little one.
  • edited July 2015
    These ladies are definitely right. Maybe a misunderstanding with the Dr? If you are 9 weeks pregnant, baby also needs to measure 9 weeks pregnant or very close to. If baby is measuring 2 weeks behind, the Dr. does have reason for concern. Maybe you just have a few dates wrong and things will be fine (fingers crossed!) but there is a definite mix up or miscommunication between you two somewhere.

Edit: because apparently I can't spell miscommunication.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • These ladies are definitely right. Maybe a misunderstanding with the Dr? If you are 9 weeks pregnant, baby also needs to measure 9 weeks pregnant or very close to. If baby is measuring 2 weeks behind, the Dr. does have reason for concern. Maybe you just have a few dates wrong and things will be fine (fingers crossed!) but there is a definite mix up or miscommunication between you two somewhere.

Edit: because apparently I can't spell miscommunication.

This. I can understand being upset about your dr saying you miscarried when you didn't, but yall are clearly not on the same page about everything else. Fx everything works out. Keep us updated!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    That's bizarre... Find someone else for sure.
  • I think that depends partially on the doctor. That is just how she's been doing it.

That's weird. I've never heard of a doctor bringing up fetal age. They always go by weeks pregnant. Are you sure she said that?

• There are miscarriage guidelines that distinguish between fetal age and gestational age. I thought that was the norm until I spoke with my doctor. My doc was very firm that pregnancy time does not distinguish between fetal and gestational age. But I know what I have read! These are published guidelines that apply to Canada and US. Then I had to explain pregnancy math to my husband. Very confusing at first!

• moomeemoomee member
    I actually have a book called Your Pregnancy Week-by-Week and the fetal age is 2 weeks earlier than the actual due date.
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • If you are 9 weeks from LMP, baby should measure around that.  Definitely not 2 weeks less unless you ovulated really late.  As others have said, the measurement is based on LMP.  Do you know approx when you ovulated?  When was LMP?  I will be hoping for the best.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • moomee said:

I actually have a book called Your Pregnancy Week-by-Week and the fetal age is 2 weeks earlier than the actual due date.

We understand what it is, it's just unusual for a doctor to even mention it when measuring, let alone go by it.

• I'm also a little confused here and think you should talk to someone - whether that is your doctor or a new doctor - to figure it out. In terms of the two periods thing, how many days off would that put your LMP date? That would clear things up for me, and if it's just a few days then that likely wouldn't change much in the measurements. I hope you get some answers soon
  • I think one of the issues is that she gave the doctor the first date of the first period that her app tracked which was wrong instead of giving the date for her actual LMP which was a week later. That would put her at only 8 weeks pregnant and if she ovulated later than expected, she's only 7 weeks along. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I think there's a simple solution here.  Don't get caught up in the timing and how many weeks.  Find another OB get an ultrasound and if there's a baby with a heartbeat then yay!  I would also go by the measurement of the baby in the ultrasound and adjust your due date.  But that other OB--how insensative of them to just label you as miscarriage since there's clearly a baby still in there.  Best of luck!
    Second-time Mommy & OPML 
    M/C (Angel Baby) 10/2011
    AKZ 2/20/2013
    LPZ EDD 2/24/2016
  • I agree with previous poster except for the last sentence.

How can it be insensitive for a doctor to make notation in a doctor's chart? (This is assuming of course that the online records are the medical chart.)

July 17 -- 6 weeks gestation -- fetal pole but no heartbeat. Size of fetus not mentioned in thread.

July 25 -- 7 weeks gestation (or just under) -- fetal pole but no heartbeat. Size of fetus not mentioned in thread.

Aug 1 will be 9 weeks gestation.

Dont get me wrong - fingers crossed that little one is viable. This wait until the ultrasound in another 1.5 weeks will be nerve-wracking. So much compassion for anyone going through something like this.

We see a couple of indicators that there have been multiple miscommunications here but no reliable indicators that OBGYN is being or has been insensitive or worthy of OPs intense anger.

At least we can all agree on one thing -- early pregnancy really really sucks sometimes. It is not for the faint of heart.
  • It definitely sounds like a mess, and all the miscommunication would be driving me nuts, and the waiting game sucks! I hope your next appt eases your nerves and definitely goes better than your last!!! Keep us posted and good luck!
    Happily Married to Tim {10-11-2003}
    Isabella {09-02-05} & Savannah {03-02-07} & Bradley {02-06-10}

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Definitely some miscommunication between you two. And obviously if you don't feel comfortable work your current ob you should definitely seek out a new one.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Just curious if you had an update. How are things going?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just curious if you had an update. How are things going?

I've been wondering the same thing!
  • I am regretting weighing in. What if she did miscarry? If she updated us it might seem more about right/wrong diagnosis than getting support. My bad. OP if you are out there I am sorry.
  • I was told at nine weeks it may be to early to hear a heartbeat. It gets better at 10 weeks.