November 2015 Moms

Baby Registry - Cloth Diapering

Hi,

I've been on this board for a while - but this is my first post.  My name's Margaret - and we're having a little girl on Nov. 28. 

I'm just finishing up a registry for the shower my sister is throwing for me and have been researching what I'll need to get started with cloth diapering once the baby is born (we are really committed to trying to make cloth diapering work).  Did anyone register for cloth diapers and, if so, do you have a list of what a registry should include?  Or any tips on kits that are available?  Or even any general recommendations?  There is so much info. out there and I'm getting a little overwhelmed!

Thanks!

Re: Baby Registry - Cloth Diapering

• Hi! I can help a bit but don't forget to check out the cloth diapering board. Super helpful for me when I got started.

Register for a variety of brands and types unless there is a type you would prefer to stick to based on what you've researched. We went with prefolds/covers primarily and a few all in ones for out and about. The only diapers that "didn't" work out were bumgenius newborn diapers (regular bumgenius did fine). You just have to factor what works best for you and your family. Some people prefer all in ones because that's all their daycare allows, prefolds because they're cheaper, etc.

Buybuybaby is a big box store that carries a few brands so if you're registered there you can add a few to your registry. I put a few on there when I had DD but I also had a separate online registry from Nickis Diapers. I didn't get many cloth diapers at my shower, but most of my friends made fun of our decision and doubted we would stick with it (which we did obviously).

Don't forget to register for good wet bags for the nursery as well as for your diaper bag. I prefer Planet Wise. Affordable and come in a few different sizes. We also got a Ubbi diaper pail and love it so much we made sure to get another one for this one (DD #1 isn't a year old so we needed two pails). I wash every 2-3 days and there is absolutely no smell.
    Off BC since January 2012/TTC #1 since April 2012
    October 2013 IUI #1 - 5mg femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    November 2013 IUI #2 - 5mg femara + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Crinone = 12/16/13 FIRST EVER BFP!!!  DD Blaire Noelle 8/26/14
    Surprise!  2 under 2 is happening!  Due 12/5/15 (updated)

• urby87urby87 member
    Different brands work best for different babies, so I think the general consensus is to try a few different brands out at first and see what works for you and your LO.  As far as the number, that depends on how often you're wanting to launder them, how often your LO soils them (babies that go past 40 weeks tend to soil less frequently than babies that are born at 40 weeks or earlier), and a number of different things.  I am registered for cloth, but I didn't really know how many to register for.  I registered for a couple of covers from a few different brands, plus a few different types of inserts.  That way we have a starting point where we can mix and match a little and figure out what's working and what isn't without having a large amount of something that might not work out for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're doing a diaper service with prefolds, so i registered for thirsties duo covers. There are also online forums and Facebook groups where you can buy, sell, and trade diapers.
  • Everyone likes their own kind.
    I would see if you have a local store or class you can take on them. We have a store about an hour away that holds monthly classes.

We started with a service using prefolds and our own Flip covers.
    Then we ended up buying our own prefolds and using them with the flips. It saved a ton of money over the service.
    Target now carries a lot online.

This time we bought a few new Flip covers and some NB inserts until he gets a little bigger and we can use what we have.
  • I second the ubbi diaper pail. Works great for cloth.
    We registered for reusable wipes and prefolds. I also put a bunch of different types of covers on our Amazon registry. Once we figured out what we liked, I used the completion coupon to buy the rest of the covers.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Related question: is there an appropriate/polite way to let people know that you're planning on using cloth for registry purposes? We're really lucky that a local store has a one month newborn rental program so we can try a lot of different types/brands of diapers before buying the type we like. This might be worth looking into, OP.  Maybe there's a local boutique in your area or diaper service that has something like it. 

It's pretty amazing but because of it we won't have cloth diapers on our registry to clue people in.  I know some of my friends have received mostly diapers at their showers--as in enough for them to make it through months or even a full year without buying any. I'm sure we could use some here and there but I'd hate to either return or get rid of dozens of boxes of diapers that people intended for us to use.  I understand that we shouldn't tell our guests what to give/not to give, but I could also see people getting offended if they later saw us using cloth or heard us talking about it and realized we didn't use the giant table of diapers they got us. 
  • mmk29mmk29 member

Related question: is there an appropriate/polite way to let people know that you're planning on using cloth for registry purposes? We're really lucky that a local store has a one month newborn rental program so we can try a lot of different types/brands of diapers before buying the type we like. This might be worth looking into, OP.  Maybe there's a local boutique in your area or diaper service that has something like it. 

It's pretty amazing but because of it we won't have cloth diapers on our registry to clue people in.  I know some of my friends have received mostly diapers at their showers--as in enough for them to make it through months or even a full year without buying any. I'm sure we could use some here and there but I'd hate to either return or get rid of dozens of boxes of diapers that people intended for us to use.  I understand that we shouldn't tell our guests what to give/not to give, but I could also see people getting offended if they later saw us using cloth or heard us talking about it and realized we didn't use the giant table of diapers they got us. 
    Is there an information/special message space on your registry? Most of the time you can just put it in there, so that when people see your registry they'll see your personalized note.
  • Maybe try an Amazon wish list! You can add to it from sites all over the Internet, not just Amazon and you can include a little note about your preference for cloth instead of disposables. Then you can combine all the registries to one and simply things! It's been great for us!
  • Related question: is there an appropriate/polite way to let people know that you're planning on using cloth for registry purposes? We're really lucky that a local store has a one month newborn rental program so we can try a lot of different types/brands of diapers before buying the type we like. This might be worth looking into, OP.  Maybe there's a local boutique in your area or diaper service that has something like it. 

We wrote a little thank you at the top of the info section of our registry and put that we were using cloth and wouldn't need any disposal diapers. We also asked our moms to spread the word.
  • YouTube videos of moms showing their stashes really helped me. We went with Charlie banana (people got us everything on our registry except those I thought that was strange-we did end up with people gifting us disposable diapers at our shower though)