Baby Names

I was at my OB office this morning...

And they display all the birth announcements from the current year on this big wall. I was trolling for girls names, of course, since I'm in the third trimester and we still don't have a name.

I was amazed by the repeat names that kept popping up:
Arden
Peyton
Paige
Penelope
Guliana
Are the ones that stand out.

I was even more surprised there were no Emmas, Madisons or Avas.

Does this strike you as odd? Or Do you think names surge in popularity in specific regions? Are there any names unique to your area that arnt on the top 100 list?

Re: I was at my OB office this morning...

• bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited July 2015
    Overall the list doesn't strike me as too odd.  Peyton is insanely trendy so it's everywhere and Penelope is as well.  But yes names do vary more in usage by region.  I would suggest looking at your state ss list to see how it compares to the overall US if you are curious.  My area has a much higher usage of hispanic and Italian names.  We took Valentina off our list because not only was it quickly increasing in general in our state it was much higher. 

• Yep, sounds about right.

What people fail to realize is, with names distributed much more evenly then they were in the 80's, trendy names are more likely to have overlapping usage within a peer group. 
  • Loading the player...
  • bbiutmcph said:

Overall the list doesn't strike me as too odd.  Peyton is insanely trendy so it's everywhere and Penelope is as well.  But yes names do vary more in usage by region.  I would suggest looking at your state ss list to see how it compares to the overall US if you are curious.  My area has a much higher usage of hispanic and Italian names.  We took Valentina off our list because not only was it quickly increasing in general in our state it was much higher. 

Didn't know you could do that! Thanks. Ill definitely look at that.

Also, I love Valentina. My friends were either going to name their daughter Valentina or Arya. They chose Arya. : /
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I think Emma, Madison, and Ava are super common in kids these days but not so much with new babies. I work in a high school and see a lot of these.

It's so funny that names I consider "mom names" are Diane, Deb, Patty, Cathy, etc but in about 40 years the Emma's and Madison's will be "mom names"
  • Well, I am disappointed in my state. I checked out the top 100 for NC and found Londyn made the list. Really? I just can't.
  • Just saw that my top girl name is the 3rd most popular in my state. Time to rethink it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I love the name Peyton, but from the 1st season of One Tree Hill...not the Manning. But it has become super super super trendy. I'm also having a boy with a Steelers fan, so it isn't like I could still use the name. Anyhoo... yeah maybe those names are just popular at your office? Where I'm from, they do the whole "-lee" thing; like "Baylee". I'm not a fan but  they aren't my children.... I truly dislike cutesy names and old people names on people. In my mind, the person has to be able to grow with the name. the "-lee" craze, for me, stunts the kid's growth and maturity at like 19. 
  • The by state list is so helpful! Norah may be trendy on here.. But it's not on the list where i live!