Baby Names
Options

Is this a good compromise?

I need y'all's all-wise name advice AGAIN! (I promise once I come up with a name I'll stop being obnoxious!)

so I'm now back on the name Julia, but DH isn't that fond of it as a first name. He does love Italian names (we're half Italian) and cool nicknames.

What do y'all think of doing Giulia as a compromise? He can call her "G", which he likes, but it's still a form of Julia? Or does the alt spelling/anything else turn you off from it?

Siblings are Caroline and Roman if that makes any difference.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is this a good compromise?

• Options
    I like it! You both get something you want here. The siblings don't really match but I am not really one who subscribes to the whole sibling names should match idea.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options
    Will it bug you that everyone will misspell her name until you correct them?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love it and I think it is a good compromise. 

• Options
    @ss456 I think it might...

• Options
    I think it's a nice compromise, but it would drive me crazy telling people how to spell her name all of the time.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    Love it and I actually prefer that spelling!
  • Options
    I think it is a good compromise.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    As far as spelling I don't think it's that big of a deal at all.  Granted I am Italian and live in a populated area but still it's not that hard to say with a G, it's a legit name and if she is using a nn of G it's even more obvious.  You aren't spelling something to be different but using a variant, correcting a few people wouldn't bother me.  

• Options
    I love that spelling. My son's name is Conor and no one can spell it right. You get used to it after a while.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I love it!
  • Options
    I love it!
  • Options
    I love it. I love Italian names. If you still don't feel settled on it you can always go to behindthename.com and look through the Italian female names. But that's very close to how we found our current compromise we are thinking of going with Viola instead of Violet.
  • Options
    Thanks so much! I really do like the name, but (and this might be a little crazy), I feel like if my one girl has an American-type name, my other should too. I think that's my hang up. It's like with each kid we named them increasingly more Italian as we went, which is annoying to me.

• Options
    jeanbug12jeanbug12 member
    edited July 2015
    Would he go for something like Julie, Juliana, Julianna, or Julianne? That was my comprise with DH, I love Julia he does not, but he does like Julianne. Those wouldn't have the misspelling issues and I think they pair well with you other children.

But, I do like Giulia too!
  • Options
    Giulia is much better than julia imo~!
  • Options
    I like it, but I do feel it looks weird with Caroline. Love the suggestion of Juliana above.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    I agree...why not Juliana (Giuliana), you can still call her Julie/Julia for short
  • Options
    We have a Julianne in our family, and Giuliana was on the list with DD1, it's too long for me, and Julia is my late grandmothers name, so it's honoring her in a way (though I do love the name)

Maybe I'll just let it sink in a bit for DH, and in a few weeks if he's still not fond of Julia I'll suggest Giulia, then drop it if he doesn't take the bait! In his defense, he does like Eleanor (bc of the nickname El), and that's a beautiful name too... Y'all are a great help, thank you for comments/suggestions!

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Good compromise. I like Julia more though.
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about it. She will forever have to correct people's spelling, and I agree that it seems like a strange choice with Caroline. I think you can find a more mainstream Italian name: Aria, Liliana, Stella, Alexandra, Elena, Violet.