February 2016 Moms

Bad luck (trigger )

edited July 2015 in February 2016 Moms
my brothers son passed away two days before his due date. He was perfect. It was one of the hardest things I had to witness as my brother carried his first sons casket to be buried. That was in 2001. To honer his memory we were thinking if we have a boy we could us his name as first or middle name. His name was Andrew Anthony. We are thinking Jacob Andrew vice versa Would this be bad luck?

Re: Bad luck (trigger )

• mandym4mandym4 member
    edited July 2015
    I don't think it is bad luck but, I would talk to your brother and sil about it and try and get a read on their feelings. It may be hard for them to watch a little boy grow up with the name of their child who passed. Maybe as a middle name would be better? I actually read a thread a while ago addressing this topic from the woman's perspective whose child had passed and she was very upset and felt that her child's name should be untouchable as it was a very painful experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys. To replace him is never my intention just want to honor him. I will definitely asked before we make that decision.
  • Ask and then maybe use the first name as a middle name even if he agrees

I would not just ask him I would ask his wife!!! Women are more aware or feel more about things like this.

If it were me I would NOT want to hear that name over and over again! Middle name would be more honorable
  • notasycophantnotasycophant member
    edited July 2015
    OP, I agree that it's better to consult with your family.
    Would you mind adding a " trigger warning" to your thread title. It can be disconcerting for some of the moms. Hope you find a way to honour your nephew.

Edited-grammar.
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    edited July 2015
    OP, I agree that it's better to consult with your family. Would you mind adding a " trigger warning" to your thread title. It can be disconcerting for some of the moms. Hope you find a way to honour your nephew. Edited-grammar.
    Agreed about adding "trigger warning."

Definitely ask before. I wouldn't worry about bad luck, but I think using the name could be very tough for them. If I was in their shoes, I don't think I would be comfortable with someone using the name even though I would appreciate the sentiment.

Edit to add: please don't use the same first name. I think that's a bit much. I would use it in the MN spot.

• I think it would be so sweet and thoughtful to use his name as a middle name. What a nice way to remember and honor him by. I don't think it would be bad luck. Like the others said, I'd talk to them about it first though.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am sorry if I offended any one. I don't know what trigger means and I did not know I had to put in title.
  • Thanks for your advice guys. Sorry if I offended any one
  • I am sorry if I offended any one. I don't know what trigger means and I did not know I had to put in title.
    It's just a good idea to add it to the title since it mentions losing a baby. It's hard for some of the ladies with similar experiences.

You can edit your original post and add (trigger warning) to the end of the thread title.

• RRC216RRC216 member
    Eeek. Heart is in a good place but ask your brother first. Maybe as a middle name but not first. That's "his" sons name. It might be a slap in the face. I'd definitely ask him out of respect. I personally would be angry if my sister's used my sons name who passed.

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
    C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
    BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

• Like the other ladies said, ask your brother first. I would personally take using it as the first name off the table and only ask him about using your nephews name as a middle name.
    I've never thought about this situation, but I lost my son and hearing/seeing his name (not a common name) the few times that I have has been very difficult.
    Using it as a first name would seem disrespectful somehow but as a middle name would be honoring.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think middle name is appropriate, but not first. If the child was still alive would you use it as a first name? A middle name? Carrying to term for them would feel like their child was a big part of their lives and I feel like using it as a first name, when it's kind of already been used, would be strange.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy