Babies: 0 - 3 Months

5week old probs

my son is 5 weeks going on 6 he doesn't let me do anything!!...im a ft mom. I would play with him sing talk feed (never prop up the bottle because I want to bond with him and also he has bad gas) I only carry him when needed but now he constantly wants to be In my arms I've tried to go out with a carrier he doesn't look comfortable he looks all over the place in it I tried adjusting it too we both feel uncomfortable. He doesn't want to sleep anywhere his swing bassinet crib he wants to sleep in my bed he reaches out when I slowly put him down to check if I'm still there and when he doesn't feel me he wakes up he cries so much and it's a scream cry he's not colic because it doesn't last hours straight I just don't know how to get him to entertain himself and sleep alone he cries to be held even when he's awake and I'm startin school again soon what to do!!!

Re: 5week old probs

• Do you swaddle him when he sleeps?  If not, try that and see if that helps.  DS wakes himself up within a few minutes if we don't swaddle him, but with it, he sleeps tons and is a complete game-changer!  I would break down and cry if not for swaddles! 

Also, maybe try another type of carrier.  I tried a few different ones before I found a few that I'm more comfortable in, and they're a life-saver at times!

What if you try to put him in his stroller?  Maybe it's just the movement he needs, but then he can still see you too. 

And lastly, when we took a newborn sleep class, they told us over and over that right around six-weeks is a peak fussy point for most babies, and there is often sleep-regression.  So if this is new behavior, it's probably related to that development and growth spurt, and it will end soon! :)  If he's always been like this, just keep trying different things.  You'll find stuff that works for you!!  
  • How he's acting is completely normal for a newborn. He's very young and needs you for comfort. It's tough on you but you just have to power through without getting frustrated. He won't always be this way.

Most babies don't like to sleep alone or flat on their back. Try a tight swaddle and maybe put him in something with an incline?

I know you are starting school and I know you are frustrated but this little tiny baby should be your priority. He just wants to be close to you.

• Loading the player...
  • I tried swaddling he gets out every time and cries I keep trying though ..im gonna try a different carrier so far I know the vacuum calms him down lol thanks guys
  • erin79erin79 member
    Week 5 was a total b!tch this time around (can't remember with my first).  It's a Wonder Week, which apparently means that they're learning something new and are extra fussy.  DD would not sleep at all during the day unless I held her even though she had been doing great the week before.  It should pass in a few days, but it definitely sucks while you're in it.

A lot of people swear by the Rock n Play for sleep, so I suggest trying that.
  • After this wonder week period could they go back to being easy going? Mines 6 weeks and I find he's hard to put down
  • erin79 said:

Week 5 was a total b!tch this time around (can't remember with my first).  It's a Wonder Week, which apparently means that they're learning something new and are extra fussy.  DD would not sleep at all during the day unless I held her even though she had been doing great the week before.  It should pass in a few days, but it definitely sucks while you're in it.

A lot of people swear by the Rock n Play for sleep, so I suggest trying that.
    We are 5.5 weeks now and DD refuses to sleep anywhere but on top of me, and has been doing this for about a week. She's 50/50 on accepting the bassinet at night, but during the day if I move her off me she screams bloody murder. It's exhausting...but at least she sleeps a lot and doesn't fuss much. I just wish we were having better nights.
  • erin79erin79 member
    @katharineharris & @delujm0 - It should pass soon.  I would rock and bounce and sway and shush for an hour just to get 10 minutes of sleep.  Rinse and repeat all day.  It is EXHAUSTING.  I found that taking her on a long walk in the stroller was great for my sanity.
    DD is 11 weeks now, and is a dream.  Seriously, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)