Baby Names

Names with traditional/common spellings

My husband is from a different country, and when we first were discussing names, I was pretty adamant about our son having an American name. I have a complicated name, and it's been annoying to me my whole life. I wanted our son to have a name that wouldn't make his life more complicated- a name that was familiar, easy to spell, and not so common that he got confused with the 3 others in his class. Paul, Joel, and Calvin all topped my list. Well, lately, my husband has been suggesting names from his background. At first, I was on board because they were familiar.

However, he wants to use the traditional spelling. He says that it's still an American name because it sounds American, but I know that it will be misspelled. My husband says that his family will spell the name wrong if we use a common American spelling. He also says our surname is of his origin and our son will look like that ethnicity, so his name being different shouldn't be a surprise. So it got me thinking- do you think using a traditional spelling is better than using the common English spelling? For example Filip or Philip? Alexander or Aleksandar? Josif or Joseph?

Re: Names with traditional/common spellings

• I think the best part about America is that we are a blend of so many cultures and a name like you have suggested would be just fine. If your husband wants to spell the name in a way that is correct in his culture, that is totally okay. If the kid gets a couple of wonky names on his Starbucks, he will survive. You both have to be on board though!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • I would lean towards the American spelling. I understand your husband's reasoning, but in a sea of youneek names most people won't think it's a cultural thing, just you trying to be different/cool. I wouldn't want to spend my whole life correcting/spelling my name for people, especially something as traditional as Alexander or Joseph.
  • Loading the player...
  • I also think you should stick with the traditional American spelling. If his last name is ethnic, then he's going to have to spell that for everyone his whole life, so spelling his first name all the time would be a bit much. I think it would be easier for your in-laws to figure out how to spell it than for your son to have to spell it for everyone he meets his whole life. 

Btw, I LOVE Calvin. It's topped our list too :)
  • if his last name is ethnic then spelling it to match should be no problem.
    it really isnt that difficult for people. with all the crazy ass spellings that people make up a real ethnic names is a breath of fresh air.
  • I agree with your husband and would go with the spelling that fits the surname. I've had to pronounce and spell my name for people my whole life, but it doesn't bother me. Not to mention, if he's got 3 Alexander's in his class, I think it'd be nice to be the Aleksandar. If you were wanting to spell it like this to be youneek, I'd say GTFO. However, being that it's a cultural thing affords you some leeway.
    BabyFruit Ticker