March 2016 Moms

First OB appt...bring the husband?

FTM here wondering if I should bring my hubby to my 1st OB appt tomorrow. We already had our first ultrasound so I'm assuming this will just be an exam and lots of questions to answer. I'm 6 wks 5 days.

Re: First OB appt...bring the husband?

• I would bring him I'm sure he has questions too
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • I wouldn't.  It's probably an internal/pelvic exam and not that he isn't going to see your goods eventually anyway but it doesn't seem necessary at this point, if you ask me.  Especially if he was already able to attend an u/s.  Maybe ask him ahead of time if there's any specific questions he has for the Dr that you can ask on his behalf.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would ask him whether he wants to be there or not. Explain what is going to happen and let him decide. My dh tries to be involved as much as possible so he really wanted to be there. I had a pelvic exam but it didn't phase him (after all he stood in the OR during my c section).
  • Hmmm...I guess I should double check with my doctor to see what is planned for my first visit? I just assumed we'd be having an US along with many other fun activities
    March '16 August Siggy Challenge - Summer Fails
    imageBabyFruit Tickerimage
  • My husband came with me to my first appt when I was pregnant with DS. It was a long appointment with a ton of questions and a pelvic exam. It wasn't really necessary for him to be there. He won't be coming for the first appt this time around, just the ultrasound appts.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• My husband will only be at appointments with an ultrasound.  The rest are so routine and nothing special that it isn't necessary for him to be there but its definitely a personal preference.  Ask your hubby what he wants to do. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • I brought my dh. He wanted to go and meet the doctor and plans on going to as many as possible. I did warn him about what to expect, nothing real exciting and a possible exam.
  • My boyfriend won't be coming with me to any doctor appointments until my 1st ultrasound pictures! :) it's hard for him to get off work.
  • Bring him if you can, especially if there's an u/s. Either way he should be informed.
  • I should mention that my second appt last time I found out I had a MMC so he want to be at every appointment in the first Trimester when we have a better chance of being out of the woods. He also felt awful he wasn't there and I dealt with it on his own. Not that I want to scare you I'm sure it is routine.
  • mns81mns81 member
    FTM here too. We had our ultrasound last week but my first appointment is on Thursday and my husband is coming too. I asked the receptionist when I made the appointment. They go over family history so it's helpful for him to be there for at least part of it. He'll come for the first hour and then leave and I'll get blood work and the exam taken care of.
  • I should mention that my second appt last time I found out I had a MMC so he want to be at every appointment in the first Trimester when we have a better chance of being out of the woods. He also felt awful he wasn't there and I dealt with it on his own. Not that I want to scare you I'm sure it is routine.

Same story here. I told him not to come at my 11w appt because I was getting a pap, but then found out baby didn't have a heartbeat. This time around he'll be at every single one until I get to the every other week check-up phase. Agree with @bntfroggie - not trying to scare you at all, this was solely my experience.

• I would definitely have him there for the first one. If something is wrong, you won't want to be there by yourself.
  • I'm a FTM too, I've asked DH to come to as many appointments as possible. I guess I don't see why the pelvic exam is a big deal? If you're pregnant he should be well acquainted and I think it will be good to start getting him desensitized to seeing people working in my nether regions. I am sure there will be more than a few down there once delivery time comes. Also, I've heard that men can have a harder time connecting to baby directly after birth. I'm hoping that if he is there for all the steps he will feel more connected initialy. 

• I would ask him what he wants to do. If he wants to be involved then kudos to him. My DH liked to go just so he could see what an appointment was like. If he doesn't feel comfortable being present during the exam he can easily step out of the room and you can let him back in when its finished.
  • labacker said:

I should mention that my second appt last time I found out I had a MMC so he want to be at every appointment in the first Trimester when we have a better chance of being out of the woods. He also felt awful he wasn't there and I dealt with it on his own. Not that I want to scare you I'm sure it is routine.

Same story here. I told him not to come at my 11w appt because I was getting a pap, but then found out baby didn't have a heartbeat. This time around he'll be at every single one until I get to the every other week check-up phase. Agree with @bntfroggie - not trying to scare you at all, this was solely my experience.
    Thank you both for sharing, I hadnt even thought about something like that occurring. I mentioned it to my DH and he let me know he'd be coming to all the 1st trimester appointments
    March '16 August Siggy Challenge - Summer Fails
    imageBabyFruit Tickerimage
  • @finesse10986 I just re-read my comment and I must have been half asleep while writing it so sorry for not proof reading.  Good luck to you and I'm glad DH is coming along.
  • DH will be coming with me to my first appointment. I have the same doctor as my last pregnancy so I assume I will getting an ultrasound this first time. Last him he came with me to 90% of appointments for my whole pregnancy. I want him at this one for sure just in case something is wrong. I am not worried about what he will see as he has seen it all before including a c-section and everything that occurs after.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SarisbSarisb member
    My husband went to every single appointment with our first, he is planning on being there for this pregnancy too.
  • I asked my doctor if my husband should come to the first prenatal exam, and she said no because it was basically an informational meeting and a pap smear. She said to bring him to the second exam because we'd be able to hear the heartbeat by then. He's gone with me to the ultrasounds, though.