December 2015 Moms
Options

New Job, Pregnancy Disclosure Help

I need advice & am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. I'm 20 weeks pregnant due December 6th & recently just applied & got offered for a front office receptionist @ a doctors office full time M-F 8-5. I have just filled out paperwork, back ground check, etc & my first day will be on Monday. I did not disclose my pregnancy as it is not really noticeable yet nor required by law. I am trying to figure out when is an appropriate time & approach, I would like to keep this job, but I'm extremely worried & anxious on how to go about this.

Re: New Job, Pregnancy Disclosure Help

• Options
    I suggest proving that you are an excellent worker? I'm sorry I can't give more advice...
    A girl I work with didn't tell my boss she was 6.5 months pregnant when she got hired. (You couldn't even tell.) Now, a month later she is taking a month and a half off unpaid, leaving my bosses in the same predicament they had when they hired her to cover a maternity leave. She is not even an excellent employee and is really hard to work with. But they kept her because they wanted to give her more of a chance.
    It can be definitely different in each scenario and where you live. But I suggest telling whomever necessary immediately and being very hardworking to prove you are worth it.
  • Options
    I say tell them now. If you tell them now and they fire you, then you have immediate grounds for legal action because there's not yet a performance-based reason they should let you go.

If you wait, they could let you go and blame it on something else.

I may be wrong, but either way, I don't think maternity leave is guaranteed until you've been with a company for a certain period of time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you tell them now and they choose not to hire you on or they fire you it's actually going to be extremely hard to make a legal case out of it, because the employer could say it's for any random reason. While discriminating against a woman for being pregnant in the workplace is illegal, it still happens quite often.

I am 19 weeks and I just started a new job as well. I told my manager on my first day of training and luckily she was very supportive about it. I would suggest waiting till maybe your first week is over, then finding time to set aside to talk with your manager/supervisor/etc. alone and tell them.

Best of luck to you :)
  • Options
    Is there a 90 day intro period?
  • Options
    @duckinoven I believe so, in 90 days I will be up for an evaluation to get a raise etc. I will not qualify for FMLA. I am the only person in this position as well, and they needed it filled urgently. I think I have decided to tell my manager after this first of week training so that they can get to see a bit of my work ethic & personality, etc. I'd rather tell them sooner than later because quite frankly I feel bad & it is affecting my anxiety a lot as I continously think about it.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I had an interview yesterday with a medical clinic as a registration clerk and I just got the call. I didn't tell them I was pregnant. The thing I'm worried about is that the job is a temporary position ending in January. I was hired to cover a woman on her maternity leave. I have no idea what to do because I'm due December. They are gonna be in the same position they are in now. I feel so bad.
  • Options
    Madylynne said:

@duckinoven I believe so, in 90 days I will be up for an evaluation to get a raise etc. I will not qualify for FMLA. I am the only person in this position as well, and they needed it filled urgently. I think I have decided to tell my manager after this first of week training so that they can get to see a bit of my work ethic & personality, etc. I'd rather tell them sooner than later because quite frankly I feel bad & it is affecting my anxiety a lot as I continously think about it.

Certainly disclose when you are comfortable, I know I was terrible about keeping it quiet. It's also good that you know there's an immediate need. Have you thought about how much time away you will need for baby? Might be good to have an idea about your time away needs prior to disclosing so you can have a productive conversation with your boss. Good luck! Please let us know how it goes
  • Options
    I interviewed for and was offered a new job at 10 weeks, and I felt it was the right thing to do to tell them after they made the offer but before I accepted the position. At that point, it would have been illegal for them to take back the offer, and would I really want to work for a company that would do something like that anyway?

I'm a high school special education teacher so my pregnancy will absolutely impact my job (in that I will be out for a while on maternity and there is no one to take over for me), but it was the right decision for me to go in to it with them knowing. I think at 20 weeks you won't be able to hide it much longer, and when you do disclose they will know you kept it from them for a while, although you aren't required by law to tell them. You should especially tell them if it is causing you anxiety. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member
    I agree with PPs about telling them sooner rather than later and when you are comfortable.

But I am also entertained by the idea of not telling them and just waiting until you are ridiculously obviously pregnant and watching them squirm about the (proverbial, not literally you) elephant in the room but not legally being able to ask.
  • Options
    **UPDATE so I decided to go ahead and tell my site manager that I'm expecting & to my surprise it went well! Just planning to do my best, show a good work ethic, & it doesn't seem there will be any problems taking leave and returning to my position. Such a weight off of my shoulders, I am definitely relieved.
  • Options
    @Madylynne woohoo! Congratulations That is great news! Such a relief and great indications of an employer supportive of your family.