February 2016 Moms

Migraines, migraines, migraines!!!

is anyone else out there getting several migraines a week right now? I started getting them at 10 weeks and I'll be 12 weeks now on Saturday. I suffered from migraines prior to getting pregnant, but they had gone away completely with pregnancy up until 10 weeks. I'm really hoping it's just temporary because otherwise it'll be a really long pregnancy. Tylenol isn't cutting it! Any suggestions on how to get them to go away?

Re: Migraines, migraines, migraines!!!

• I would call your dr and see what they recommend.
  • mamaekmamaek member
    edited July 2015
    I get them. My doctor prescribed something for when I get them and also made some recommendations to try and avoid getting them/detecting them on time.
    So yes, call your doctor. They'll know what's best for you based on your individual needs/history.

Edit to add
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yes, definitely planning on talking to my doctor. :) I have an appt next week for my 12 week, and I will ask her then unless they get a lot worse in the meantime. I was just under the impression that tylenol is the only thing you can take for headaches/migraines that is safe for the baby. @kikacakes, what did your doctor prescribe you if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to ask my doctor about that medication specifically. 
  • I got them a lot before pregnancy and got my first one while pregnant last night. Definitely not fun! I hope your doctor gives you suggestions on how to ease them! When meds don't work for me, I put an icepack on the back of my neck and then lay down in a dark, quiet room and sleep it away.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • mamaekmamaek member
    @amygooch i want to say it's Tylenol-like. But I'm not in the U.S. So I would stick with what your MD recommends for you.
  • ok no worries! Thank you @kikacakes!
  • I have been getting them from the very start! I'm so sad that I can't take Excedrin Migraine anymore. My doctor prescribed me something called Fioricet which is a combination of Tylenol, caffeine, and a barbiturate. I try not to take it too often unless it gets really bad because the ingredients make me a little nervous but she said it is safe.
  • @amygooch my doctor actually said if my migraines come back to try Tylenol first and if that doesn't work it is okay to take one Exedrin Migraine, she did say not to take them often and to definitely stay away from Aleve, etc.
  • I'm currently on day 3 of a severe migraine. I usually get them in the beginning when I cut out caffeine but I'm battling neck pain from a car accident I was in last year and it has triggered a couple of bad ones. It's torture. I'm literally staring at my work computer right now debating wether I should keep working or take the rest of the day off. I've tried everything...sodium, caffeine, tylenol, dark room, sleep and fatty food. Nothing is working :((
  • This was something my doctor and I talked about before DH and I were TTC as I was so worried about the frequency and severity of mine. He prescribed a medication (the name escapes me!) that is safe for pregnancy, but I have not needed to use it yet (knock wood). Hopefully your doc can help!
  • MetsenMetsen member
    Coca cola, not diet and lots of it! Somethong about the combination of caffeine and sugar shock really helps me. It certainly does not stop an attack, but it makes the pain bearable.
    I get migraines almost weekly, when I am not pregnant. Fortunately for me, however, pregnancy makes the attacks both less intense and less frequent. This was also the case during my first pregnancy, so I think it could get better for you later in your pregnancy also.
    Best of luck.
  • Also, some natural ways to help migraines are peppermint oil and pressure point massages that you can google. They do not always work but sometimes they do and it is miraculous so it's always worth a try. I like to rub a dab of peppermint oil on my temples and wrist if nothing else is helping.
  • Having the same prob here, talked to the doc and she suggested taking extra strength Tylenol with a half a can of Coke or some coffee. She also offered Codeine, said it doesn't hurt
    baby? I'll try the caffeine route and see if that helps before considering that.
  • I have been getting them too. Had them prior to pregnancy, and while we were away last week I got one so bad I had my first pregnancy throw up in the bathrooms at Disney. It was awful. The only thing that helps is lots of sleep from me. I just need to go to bed when I get them!
  • I get massages for my migraines. I have a myo-fascial release therapist who works on my neck, shoulders, base of skull, and skull to release tense muscles. Amazing. At home, try taping 2 tennis balls together and lay on them on your pillow, trying to keep them near the base of your skull, one on each side of your spine. In the last few weeks this has been the only thing that allows me to relax enough that I can sleep some nights.
  • I have only had one since my bfp but it was pretty bad. I second the poster who suggested coke (but not diet). Tylenol and caffeine helped, along with a cool cloth over my eyes and an ice pack on my head. Best of luck - what a rotten time for recurrent migraines.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have been getting them from the very start! I'm so sad that I can't take Excedrin Migraine anymore. My doctor prescribed me something called Fioricet which is a combination of Tylenol, caffeine, and a barbiturate. I try not to take it too often unless it gets really bad because the ingredients make me a little nervous but she said it is safe.

I was prescribed this also yesterday by my OB and it didn't do a thing for me . Going on day 4 now. , I feel like crying but that only makes it words
  • Are they migraines or tension headaches? I suffer from both and have Rx but I'm not taking it now that I'm pregnant. I've also had some headaches now that I'm 10 weeks so I've been looking at all the ingredients in my food...go figure one thing I've been eating contains MSG, which can be a trigger. I have a lot of dietary triggers to my headaches anyway, but not being able to take meds makes me more careful about them. Good luck!
  • I got them before but now I get them with "aora". Not sure if I spelled that right. But I got a cold facial mask that I leave in the fridge. Then my dr told me to use caffeine as a medicine. This seems to be working. Also drink lots and lots of water to prevent.
  • The intake nurse I saw last week advised me to drink up to 16oz of coffee daily to help prevent migraines while I'm pregnant. I know coffee is controversial and some people like to avoid it, but I like to avoid having migraines! Knock on wood, I haven't had a single migraine since becoming pregnant. The nurse said the pregnancy could be preventing them or it could be the coffee (or a combination of both.) I say it's the coffee :-)