June 2015 Moms
Options

Food Discussions?

im curious as to what you guys eat/ snack on/ cook while juggling your LOs
for me its not much, feels like i have no time for food, but when i do make food when DH isnt home its mostly carbs of some type.

any ideas/ favourites?

Re: Food Discussions?

• Options
    Apples and almond butter
    Bags of almonds
  • Options
    Protein bars, fruit, sandwiches, lean pockets ....Klondike bars ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cliff bars, toast, crackers, anything I can shove in my mouth super fast.

Mostly carbs
  • Options
    Lactation cookies, fruit, crackers and cheese or hummus, nuts, toast, and lactation shakes.
  • Options
    I can make a sandwich pretty fast and scarf it down. My husband bought Cinnamon Roll PopTarts. I haven't had a poptart in years and those things are pretty great, not necessarily healthy but hey, whatevs. I also grab a banana before my first feed and then a bowl of cereal after. I have a bowl of grapes next to me some afternoons while I BF and hubby got some hummus and crackers

Anyone else tried eating while BF and dropped food on their little one? Haha
  • Options
    I'll eat a bowl of cereal over / to the side of LO while he is laying on the boppy and bfing in the morning. For snacking, I'll also eat lactation cookies (the chocolate chip ones in those recipes shared somewhere here in June moms are actually mostly oatmeal, and VERY filling, tho very crumb-y too. Hold a napkin under it otherwise you'll shower crumbs all over LO, lol), pop tarts, and hubs found some 'tropical' trail mix at Walmart that has almonds, cashews, dried cranberries, both green and dark raisins, dried pineapple, dried mango, and dried banana chips in it. I'll pour myself out some of that and snack it while he is on the boob. (Almonds and cashews are good for milk) More easy snacks are yogurt, those cottage cheese doubles, veggie chips (dried slices of various veggies), microwave burritos or taquitos. Also, fruits like bananas, oranges, take a few minutes to slice up an apple and cheese to go with, strawberries over angel food cake

I feel bad about letting him cry when he is hungry, but mama has to eat too or I'm no good to anybody. So I will let him cry for a few minutes while I fix myself a bowl of cereal or nuke a burrito or portion myself out some trail mix and grab a yogurt and spoon to round out the meal / snack. I try not to fix an actual meal with him bawling - I don't want to leave him unhappy for long enough to chop and prepare and all that - but the less than 5 min it takes to get this stuff? Do it. You gotta eat.

Looking forward to once I can use the ktan I ordered to wear him so I can actually (maybe) prepare some stuff like steamed broccoli or soybeans for snacktimes, and preparing actual meals for dinner when hubs is on duty instead of having to rely on microwave dinners or trying to prepare dinner around a questionable window of quiet time
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ksimo6ksimo6 member
    Cereal. Toast. Sandwich.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    kbbtahkbbtah member
    I have absolutely no appitite...anyone else? I know I need to eat but nothing even remotely sounds good.
  • Options
    kbbtah said:

I have absolutely no appitite...anyone else? I know I need to eat but nothing even remotely sounds good.

I'm the same. I was all ready to comment what I eat while juggling LO, then I realized that I haven't been eating other than the days DH and I cook dinner. I either have no appetite or no time for anything other than like a cheese stick or I have the chance and literally nothing sounds at all good.
  • Options
    It's really hard to eat while bottle feeding :(

But my main breakfast is Greek yogurt and granola. Easy to eat one-handed.
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    @mellymar, i'm impressed that you eat cereal while nursing - I feel like LO is way too squirmy and would somehow cause a mes, or distract me so I do. I do ok while he's in the k'tan though.
    Lately my go to snack has bananas and pb. I like to keep raw almonds on hand while bf. For breakfast i love cold oatmeal - mix your oats and milk (and topping), put it in the fridge over night and it's a quick breakfast.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    kbbtahkbbtah member
    Thanks @frankengibbs . It feels good to not be alone :)
  • Options
    @kbbtah You're definitely not alone, I never thought I'd be the kind of person that would have to remember to eat! Lol
  • Options
    Raw nuts and cheese, yogurt, fruit, various bars, jerky, hummus
  • Options
    I eat an egg on a bagel thin every morning. I also eat oatmeal, cereal, crackers, and chips and salsa. Yes I eat it over LO. I'm BFing and feel absolutely ravenous throughout the day!
  • Options
    mindaa said:

@mellymar, i'm impressed that you eat cereal while nursing - I feel like LO is way too squirmy and would somehow cause a mes, or distract me so I do. I do ok while he's in the k'tan though.
    Lately my go to snack has bananas and pb. I like to keep raw almonds on hand while bf. For breakfast i love cold oatmeal - mix your oats and milk (and topping), put it in the fridge over night and it's a quick breakfast.

I don't use proper cereal bowls. I use really deep bowls. Actually, my go-to 'bowls' are Tupperware storage containers. Not huge ones, but that should give you an idea of how deep they are so I don't spill.

Also, huge second on the pb and bananas. I make sandwiches of that. So yummy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mellymar I do the same thing although I pump and then feed. But I have been telling lo since week 1 if mama doesn't eat than baby doesn't eat. This is partially true cause my most milk I get comes after my big meals. She seems a little more understanding with me then my dh when he is watching her and has to eat.
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    I'm also breastfeeding and I get really hungty. I usually have oatmeal or yogurt sad granola for breakfast. I eat lots of sandwiches and try to throw salads together whenever I have time so they're ready. Hummus, almond butter, and fruit are my go to snacks/quick meals.
  • Options
    elizab14 said:

I can make a sandwich pretty fast and scarf it down. My husband bought Cinnamon Roll PopTarts. I haven't had a poptart in years and those things are pretty great, not necessarily healthy but hey, whatevs. I also grab a banana before my first feed and then a bowl of cereal after. I have a bowl of grapes next to me some afternoons while I BF and hubby got some hummus and crackers

Anyone else tried eating while BF and dropped food on their little one? Haha

M
    Yes! I have totally eaten while BF and dropped food on LO! I find it challenging to BF and eat at the same time! Especially with a squirmy wormy LO!

• Options
    I have had ZERO time to eat - seriously. I stock up on protein and granola bars, ready to eat chicken strips and salad. Most of the time I only drink a protein shake before Daddy gets home. I'm lucky if I can sneak in a chicken salad while she's napping. Not that I should complain too much, it has certainly helped me drop the baby weight! I'd suggest getting the ready to eat chicken strips - Price Chopper sells some that are natural and preservative free, its great protein ready to eat! I drink the Visalus protein shakes too - super low in calories and sugar so I can feel good about not putting a bunch of junk in my body.
    Engaged to the best guy I know and Mommy to the sweetest girl!