March 2016 Moms

Prenatal Vitamins

It doesn't seem to matter what time of day I take them, either Im nauseous all day, or I wake up throughout the night feeling like I'm going to vomit. FTM so I've never been through this before. A friend of mine told me her doc said that Flinstone vitamins were acceptable. If that's the case someone let me know because that sounds WAY better than what I've been taking!

Re: Prenatal Vitamins

• mb0112mb0112 member
    Compare flinstones to prenatals and see if anything is missing. Folic acid is a big reason for prenatals, something to do with preventing birth defects.

Are you taking prenatals with food?
  • Yes I've tried with all three meals, and still feel terrible. They both have what claims to be 100% of my daily folic acid. Although I'm clear one of these is for children. The case was the same with my normal One A Day multivitamin.
  • Loading the player...
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    When did you start taking the prenatals and when did the nausea start? If you started taking them shortly after finding out you are pregnant maybe it is really morning sickness, not cause and effect with the vitamins.
  • I take my prenatal vitamins before bed but mine have a ginger and digestive aide to them and I think that is what is keeping my MS at bay. I have heard you can take flinstone with a folic acid but I would ask your doctor first. I get my prenatals from Whole Foods they are the 365 vegetarian brand.
  • I think you need 800 mg of Folic Acid daily. I doubt there's that much in a Flinstone vitamin. But you could probably take the Flinstone and supplement with additional Folic Acid. I've been taking a gummy prenatal. It has everything in a regular prenatal other than iron, since the iron made me sooooo constipated. Maybe the iron is upsetting your stomach? 
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • J234J234 member
    Have you tried different brands of prenatals?  Your doctor might be able to give you some free samples.  

I found that the Honest Company ones had more B vitamins than the other vitamins I was taking and I really feel more energized.  They do make me a little nauseous though so I take them at night.  Good luck!!!
  • RAW with folate has been great for me.  I did Vitafusion gummies last pregnancy and they were pretty good (and inexpensive).  I'm having a hard time actually swallowing the pills this time.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• maelicmaelic member
    You don't really need to take prenatals, only folic acid. If they're upsetting your stomach try switching to folic acid supplements (800mcg), those usually go down easier. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took da few before finally not feeling sick. I got mine at Costco. They are nature made. You may want to try that.
  • What kind are you taking? I started with one brand and they made me vomit. I switched to a gummy called VitaFusion. You can take them any time of day, doesn't have to be with food, taste like a candy and easy on the stomach! They've got everything you need including Folic Acid and DHA! Love them!
  • I really like the Rainbow Light one a day vitamins. They don't make me sick, and you can take them with or without food!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first pregnancy I threw up every time I took my prenatal because they were HUGE. My ob had me taking 2 Flintsones a day so I did the same thing with my second pregnancy. This time however my ob said that flinstone vitamins don't do what I need them to. So I would check with your dr. The ones I'm taking now are nature made. They are smaller so it's easier. I take them after dinner and continue to snack and drink something to sooth my stomach
  • I'm taking Rainbow Light, and it's terrific (it has ginger to aid with digestion). Have you tried taking your prenatals at night before you go to bed? I've heard from friends who have experienced MS after taking theirs that they had success just popping them a few minutes before going to sleep. Good luck!
  • What kind are you taking? I started with one brand and they made me vomit. I switched to a gummy called VitaFusion. You can take them any time of day, doesn't have to be with food, taste like a candy and easy on the stomach! They've got everything you need including Folic Acid and DHA! Love them!

Those are exactly what I take! I haven't had any issues, and they are tasty!
  • atuaitanuatuaitanu member
    edited July 2015
    I take the same ones as @mrsnicolerodriguez they are awesome.
  • @mrsnicolerodriguez I take these too, I LOVe them, however you don't get iron so you might need to take a supplement of iron, I recommend getting slow release iron. (:
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    Maybe try taking Unisom tabs with your prenatal before bed? That'll help with the nausea overnight and into the next day. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a hard time with vitamins even while not pregnant- the rainbow light prenatals have worked well for me! They've never made me sick.
  • Back when I told my PCP we were thinking about TTC she had a great idea - get a prenatal vitamin without iron and then you can experiment with different iron supplements to see which ones you tolerate. There isn't a whole lot of selection, I've been using GNC which I like. (Taking it for 2.5 years actually, I'm so neurotic it actually took me that long to decide I was ready to try!)  I was taking Rainbow Light plant based iron supplement but it's pricey, so I got CVS brand iron on sale...BIG difference. Bleh. I actually stopped taking iron over the past few days until I meet my midwife tomorrow and I'll ask her about how much I need.

BFP: 7-5-15
    EDD: 3-11-16
    29yo First pregnancy! 

• I take the gummy ones, too. I think the iron in other prenatals is what makes people feel sick. If you are getting iron elsewhere in your diet, the gummies are great!

Pregnancy Ticker

• TeamMagik said:

I'm taking Rainbow Light, and it's terrific (it has ginger to aid with digestion). Have you tried taking your prenatals at night before you go to bed? I've heard from friends who have experienced MS after taking theirs that they had success just popping them a few minutes before going to sleep. Good luck!

@TeamMagik Im taking Rainbow light too! Love them. I recently switched to their Prenatal One bottle and I think I prefer the Complete Prenatal System. Their DHA is amazing, no fishy taste. :)