January 2016 Moms
Options

Job interview on Wed and 16 weeks pregnant HELP

I know this question has probably been answered but I couldn't find anything. So I have a good job opportunity at this office I applied to and they want me to come in for an interview. Problem is idk wether to tell them I'm pregnant or not. I know honesty is the best policy but I don't want them to not hire me b/c I'm pregnant. There is also the fear that they could let me go if I tell them afterwards if they do hire me. PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: Job interview on Wed and 16 weeks pregnant HELP

• Options
    You don't have to tell then and it is illegal for them to let you go because of it. I say don't tell.
  • Options
    If I was you, I would not say anything until they offered the position to me. Then, I would kindly accept and let them know I am pregnant and when my EDD is. I don't think they would back out of the offer at that point (for legal purposes).  I think that since you are already 4 months along, accepting the offer then waiting a few weeks to tell them would be worse and possibly make them resent you for withholding that information. If you're in the US, they're also not legally obligated to grant you maternity leave since you will not have been with the company for 1 year prior to the birth of your baby. That's why I would let them know before you start, because if they really like you they might be willing to work with you afterwards.

Good luck with your interview and I hope it all works out for the best!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's up to you. Honestly I had an interview while pregnant. I told them because I had to do a physical an blood work. Which will clearly show I'm pregnant. I didn't think I'd get the job but a week later I got the call. An people say jobs can't fire you. But some jobs did. Because it's like you kept something from them. They may not let you go for that reason. But they'd find something if they really want to be an ass. It's just jobs don't want to pay extra insurance an cover pregnancy nor maternity leave
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, I'm nervous to tell them afterwards but I'm going to take your advise and not say anything. :D
  • Options
    jeanbug12 said:
    You don't have to tell then and it is illegal for them to let you go because of it. I say don't tell.
    It's also illegal for them to ask you if they choose to do so during your interview, if you are showing. Just an FYI.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    Fyi if you search "interview" you should be able to see several threads discussing this! They helped me out a lot and a lot of us decided that honesty was the best policy and are disclosing during the interview and it sounds like for the majority of ladies that most employers have been very accepting of that fact and appreciative of the honesty. Several of the girls have disclosed and got their job offers! It is illegal to not hire just because you are pregnant so if you are the best candidate you will get the job!
  • Options
    While it's not legal to not hire you because you are pregnant, you'd have a very hard time proving that you were the best candidate and the only reason you weren't hired was because of your pregnancy.  Typically, at least in my field, HR is the one that contacts the candidate and gives them the offer.  I would tell them then.  HR would know better than to withdraw the offer, but the results could be manipulated if you tell them at the interview.  That said, though, I don't think I'd want to work for a company that isn't family-friendly, which to me means one that is unwilling to hire a pregnant woman.  Also, a company that would pass up the best candidate just because she will be off 6-12 weeks is pretty short-sighted.  So really it's about your comfort level.  Anecdotally, I have several friends and family members who interviewed and were hired when visibly pregnant - no disclosure was needed! 

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow!
  • Options
    Just started my new job this week! I told them at my third interview. I didn't want to risk getting hired and have them fire me or be annoyed with me. They were understanding and it's such a relief to have it out in the open!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020