October 2015 Moms
Options

FYI - The Bump is aggregating your baby registries and may be making private registries public

Note: If your baby registries are Public you probably don't care about this, but if some of your registries are Private/Unlisted, you might care...

I recently discovered that my private/unlisted Target registry was aggregated by the Bump, displayed on a Bump registry page I didn't know existed, and become publicly findable via Google. My MIL actually came across it while googling my husband's and I's names--it came up as the 1st result in Google under our names.

(I am only creating private/unlisted registries as "lists" for myself to keep track of what I need to buy and in order to obtain completion discounts. We are assuming we are not having a shower and will be buying most all the baby's items, so this registry was 100% set to "private" from the time it was started and was private at the time I learned the Bump was displaying the contents. Although the contents of the registry are not a big deal (didn't have any crazy embarrassing stuff on the registry list), I still feel that it is an invasion of privacy for the Bump to be aggregating private registries and making them public somehow.)

If you want to check what the Bump is displaying for your registries go to:

https://registry.thebump.com/manage

Some more info: https://www.thebump.com/a/baby-gift-registry-help

"Whenever you create a registry with one of our retail partners, we’ll add it to your profile."

You have to "hide" any registries that you don't want to appear on your automatically generated Bump page.

Maybe I'm a privacy weirdo but just wanted to let others know about this just in case!

Re: FYI - The Bump is aggregating your baby registries and may be making private registries public

• Options
    Good heads up! The bump is good at things like this.

• Options
    swelniakswelniak member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for sharing! I have a private Amazon list (this is #2 for us and we just need a couple things- plus I did it for the completion coupon) and it's not listed. Maybe it's just for Target? Weird!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    swcmswcm member

Yep luckily my Amazon registry didn't get pulled in either @swelniak . I have a bunch of nursing and postpartum recovery supplies saved on there that I would find awkward to ask for!

• Options
    Ugh I am glad you posted this because I had no idea. I was able to hide mine thankfully! Like op I only made a private registry as a list for myself and possible coupons. That makes me mad! They shouldn't be able to link registries that were created as private. Yo bump, They were created private for a reason!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ugh I am glad you posted this because I had no idea. I was able to hide mine thankfully! Like op I only made a private registry as a list for myself and possible coupons. That makes me mad! They shouldn't be able to link registries that were created as private. Yo bump, They were created private for a reason!

This is also why I never post personal photos on here. If you read the TOU any you post you are basically giving them the right to use. I'm sure the registry list also is why the have you registered banner thing has been all over the app.

• Options
    Thank you! The registry rector sucks anyway, it never updates and even after emailing the help section I've had issues with it. I'm just going to remove my registry links all together!
  • Options
    I just pulled my Bump registry page up on my phone. Do you have to access it on a desktop in order to hide it?
  • Options
    swcmswcm member

I used the desktop to hide mine, but it looks like you can hide it on the app too:

Go to "Tools"

Click "Baby Registry"

Click "Manage registry"

Click "Profile settings"

Click "Your Registry Settings" --> shows options to hide registries