February 2016 Moms

Fitness Check In (Week of July 19)

How's it going, ladies? Anyone setting any new fitness goals? Plans for workouts this week? 

Re: Fitness Check In (Week of July 19)

• We just got a bike trailer for DS so I'm super excited to start biking again (he was getting too big for the little seat we have attached to my bike for him). We went on a short ride yesterday and it felt so good!

Today we are heading out to the lake to kayak for the afternoon. It feels awesome to be mostly over this morning sickness and getting active again.
  • I'm not a morning person, so working out when I wake up just is not an option for me. I was really busy at work this past week so when I got home, the thought of working out was just not there. Plus the heat. No thanks. I'm hoping to work out this week since the weather will be cooler. Fingers crossed!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Switching to a new schedule this week (was 11-7:30 and now will be 9-5:30) so I'm hoping it won't exhaust me too much that I can't go to the gym. I'd like to start going at least 3 times a week again, especially since I'm really not running so I can probably handle more frequent workouts.
  • I swam for 40 mins or so this morning and am planning to make it to the gym 4 days this week (fingers crossed).
  • Went to spin class this morning and it kicked my butt!!! Planning to do weights 3x this week, with swimming, cycling, running. I also need to start doing yoga again. Was doing hot yoga before, and now that I'm not I feel super sore. Maybe I'll try a prenatal class on YouTube.
  • I was getting a 30 min workout in every day, but the nausea And exhaustion really kicked in this weekend. Hopefully will get back on the routine tomorrow!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Stepped it up to 3.5 miles daily 6 days a week.  I also lift everyday.  I have to get my running in in the morning because my nausea gets worse at the day goes on

• Going for a walk this morning with DS. Hoping I can jog a little but I don't want to push it so we'll see how I feel. 12 weeks today and no nausea in sight!
  • SO and I have been taking walks around the neighborhood, biking when I'm up to it (I work 7:30-5 Monday through Friday so I'm usually exhausted by the end of the day). But I have one more semester of undergrad and I'm looking forward to the required PE I need to graduate. Since I'm pregnant, I'll be set up with my own personalized work out plan and as long as I stick to it, I'll get credit for the class, plus get some much needed exercise in!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• I train horses professionally for show jumping. I've tapered off some of my more "exciting" mounts and am down to only two full time riding horses at the moment and am focusing on teaching. That said, riding 6 horses a day has kept me really super fit and it's been easy because I love it and it doesn't feel like exercise.

I'm a FTM and just hit 11 weeks today and by September my plan is to have weaned off the riding entirely. So, I'm looking for things to do instead that will keep me on track. DH and I walk our dogs 5km every morning but I want to do more. Suggestions?
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Still swimming and yoga. For those dealing with sciatica stuff (first I'm so sorry, it is not fun!!) it seems to be helping :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Still swimming and yoga. For those dealing with sciatica stuff (first I'm so sorry, it is not fun!!) it seems to be helping :)

OMG, the sciatica is insane at the end of the day! I've never done yoga -can you recommend anything? I do seem to feel more nauseated after bending over lately though so that's why I'm wondering if it would make that worse.
  • esca18esca18 member
    Zumba once, yoga class, and 3 cardio/light weights workouts are my goal this week. I feel so much better when active though my stamina is lower than I am used to. Also researching prenatal yoga DVDs to buy on Amazon.
  • Full body weight training. Trying to find the perfect medium that still helps me build muscle but not overexert myself either. FTM so not sure how hard i can truly push myself lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • To say I have been irregularly going to the gym would be an overstatement. I was going 5 days a week for weights and cardio religiously... Until exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks around 7 wks, as well as shortness of breath and a racing heart with exhertion. Kept walking the dogs with DH 3-4x/wk but since I'm feeling so much better I intend to add in 3 days of more active cardio and light weights before I completely turn into a bowl of pudding.
  • Walked a little over three miles pushing DS in his stroller this morning. It felt awesome to get outside again! I didn't jog, though. I don't want to push my luck and make myself sick.
  • I had to call it quits with my kickboxing workout this week. I have been doing kickboxing and resistance band training for almost 2 years, but I just can't keep up with the class anymore and I don't feel like pushing myself that hard is worth it at this point. I am 9 weeks now and plan on still staying active (walking, lifting, etc) 5-6 days a week. I will definitely be getting more active once school starts up again as I teach 1st grade and they always keep me active!!
  • Wow. You guys are amazing! I've been so beat by morning sickness and being exausted, I haven't done ANYTHING! Which I think is making more exausted to do anything... Feeling a bit better now at week 9... I work from 9-8 so planing to do something in the morning before I head to work...
  • Walked the dog, and hit the gym for some treadmill running and lower body work out. Ultimate tomorrow and hopefully the gym Wednesday -Friday. Feeling so much better now that the exhaustion seems to be more sporadic and less constant
  • Walked the dog, and hit the gym for some treadmill running and lower body work out. Ultimate tomorrow and hopefully the gym Wednesday -Friday. Feeling so much better now that the exhaustion seems to be more sporadic and less constant
    I freaking LOVE ultimate, haven't played in awhile. Where do you play? I took the class at my college twice and DH and I played every Friday afternoon for yeeears. Gosh I miss it.
  • Finally got back to the gym last night after two weeks of packing, moving and unpacking kept me away.

Did a 30 minute warm up on the elliptical and then did arms/chest weights for 50 minutes with H. I'm going to enjoy these last couple of weeks of being able to do bench press and exercises similar before I need to scale back on over the head and on my back.
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:
  • I have seriously fell off of the fitness wagon and I'm so mad at myself.  I had lost about 45 lbs from end of January until BFP and then when the nausea kicked-in, it went downhill from there.

I need to get back to something.  I was doing like 15-20 miles/week running and I loved it.  I just need that energy back, which you get from exercising,..such a vicious cycle! 

I'm going to youtube some prenatal yoga videos to ease back into it, I think.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been so exhausted I have done nothing for like 3 weeks! Prior to BFP I had trained for a bodybuilding show and so was lifting 6 days a week and running 4-7 days a week. I feel like a sloth but it's all I can do to keep my eyes open after 3pm (makes work interesting!) Hoping this subsides soon so I can get back to lifting light weights and doing short runs or biking. Good on all of you ladies managing to keep up a routine!!
  • I was doing water aerobics twice a week, and am supposed to go tonight, but the nausea really kicks in when I move a lot or my heart rate gets up, and I'd rather not get sick in the pool.
  • Honestly, weeks 6-8 were brutal for me. I feel a little bit better but it still is so hard to force myself to work out. 

I work 10 hours and commute for an hour and half each day.  I used to work out 5 times a week with no problem but I have hit such an energy slump, it's so incredibly difficult to muster anything more than just making it through the work day and getting home to my bed. Is anyone else commuting and working full time?

Btw, new to this board. Nice to meet everyone!
  • Yes! I am almost 10 weeks and am finally getting some energy back. My goal this week is to do some light weight lifting , yoga and some brisk walks. Good luck ladies!
  • MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited July 2015

Still swimming and yoga. For those dealing with sciatica stuff (first I'm so sorry, it is not fun!!) it seems to be helping :)

OMG, the sciatica is insane at the end of the day! I've never done yoga -can you recommend anything? I do seem to feel more nauseated after bending over lately though so that's why I'm wondering if it would make that worse.

Hmm that's a hard one to do since I'm so horrible with pose names lol! I started with Bikrams traditional 26 postures (easy to find on google) and I just skip the ones that require any sort of forward bending. Then I added some hip stretches like eye of the needle and pigeon pose with chest up in a back bend. I also do the supine hamstring stretch. Back bends are great for sciatica, so camel pose is good. Whatever you do, just stop if you feel any pain. My PT also told me to activate the kegel muscles when posing to strengthen those muscles as they help support and stabilize the spine. It wouldn't hurt to book a personal session with a yoga instructor to get going! They don't charge too much for private sessions.

Edit to add: bridge pose is great for sciatica too.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• @funkypineapple try going to doyogawithme.com! There are tons of free yoga classes that you can sort through by difficulty, length, and type. There are even some great prenatal classes! I love that site and have done lots of them :)
  • Ok you have inspired me. I'm going to attempt my second workout since getting preg :-)
  • salixjoy38salixjoy38 member
    edited July 2015
    HBirdie said:
    Walked the dog, and hit the gym for some treadmill running and lower body work out. Ultimate tomorrow and hopefully the gym Wednesday -Friday. Feeling so much better now that the exhaustion seems to be more sporadic and less constant
    I freaking LOVE ultimate, haven't played in awhile. Where do you play? I took the class at my college twice and DH and I played every Friday afternoon for yeeears. Gosh I miss it.

We have a community league over the summer, it's pretty well developed up here, and the community is amazing. It's one of our main social circles and how H and I met! I the winter we join the intramural league at the university, it's basically more community members than university students. We pay an extra fee, but since we are on the west coast we can play outside all year, and the university has turf fields and lights.

Played a double header (two games) and actually felt great last night! I was fast again, still got so thirsty though. Couldn't stay asleep this morning so I'm heading to the gym now!

P.s did @HBirdie get banned? Why?
  • Still running weather conditions are beautiful! Makes me happy!

• HBirdie said:

Walked the dog, and hit the gym for some treadmill running and lower body work out. Ultimate tomorrow and hopefully the gym Wednesday -Friday. Feeling so much better now that the exhaustion seems to be more sporadic and less constant

We have a community league over the summer, it's pretty well developed up here, and the community is amazing. It's one of our main social circles and how H and I met! I the winter we join the intramural league at the university, it's basically more community members than university students. We pay an extra fee, but since we are on the west coast we can play outside all year, and the university has turf fields and lights.

Played a double header (two games) and actually felt great last night! I was fast again, still got so thirsty though. Couldn't stay asleep this morning so I'm heading to the gym now!

I'm on my phone and don't know how to link the forum but just search for "worried to start a thread"
  • 12 wks tomorrow. I was a daily home yoga junkie and started prenatal yoga today after a month and half off from nausea and exhaustion. It felt so different, definitely really felt a new center of gravity and feel super tight in the hips. Lumbering elephant came to mind

• HBirdie said:

I'm on my phone and don't know how to link the forum but just search for "worried to start a thread"

It wasn't for that. Someone went through and reported some old posts that were snarky. :-q
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I'm dog walking most days and also started working at summer camp so running around playing games with kids all day! Going to start yoga soon but it is so expensive in London £15 per hour D:
  • wasn't for that. Someone went through and reported some old posts that were snarky. :-q
    I just feel like that terrible thread stirred up a bunch of drama and it turned into a hate-fest on her. I felt really bad for her
  • Prior to finding out I am pregnant I lifted weights and walked uphill for 20 minutes about 4 times a week. When I found out I was pregnant I took a little break from the gym and recently started back up. Oh man it's way harder than I thought! I made sure I ate before I went and had plenty of water but I was completely out of breath and feeling like I was going to pass out the whole time. Then when I got home I was completely exhausted for hours. Hoping this will pass because I really wanted to stay in the gym during this pregnancy.
  • Running about 3 times a week and trying to squeeze in the elliptical at the gym/other cardio at least once a week... I feel so different even though I never really stopped so I shouldn't be that out of shape. I get much more out of breath! I'm also more aware of pushing myself too hard so that could be a reason I can't do as much as I used to. Planning to keep it up through pregnancy! I've also been watching my food/calorie intake and have actually lost about 2 lbs so far (not on purpose). Should I stop watching food/calories at this point?