December 2015 Moms

7th ring of hell

i have NEVER had heartburn like this... Ive had it since last night and ive been chugging yogurt and tums all day and if i eat anything else it comes back... Fml this is horrible

Re: 7th ring of hell

• I'm sorry you feel so awful! If it continues you might want to check with your OB about Zantac because mine is absolutely fine with it.
  • A natural method is ginger, a colleague of mine bought me some caramel flavored ginger hard candies(still super nasty) but instant relief.
  • Loading the player...
  • SO does shots of apple cider vinegar. And my granny always mixed it with water, lemon and honey. I'm not sure it's for me, but I guess if I'm ever burning alive I will suck it up and try.
    Oh, and get the organic kind with the mother.
  • I've had it kinda bad too. I second the apple cider vinegar, it neutralizes the problem about 30 minutes after a shot of the ACV and then I have no trouble for a couple days. It tastes gross at first but really really works! Cheaper than an Rx too. Good luck!
  • Milk based products though instant relief is felt. The milk actually triggers your body to produce more acid! Try and take Zantac. I'm on Prevacid 24hr every day if I don't take it in the morning I will be up all night in pain. Zantac didn't work for me but Goodluck
  • Beckah31 said:

SO does shots of apple cider vinegar. And my granny always mixed it with water, lemon and honey. I'm not sure it's for me, but I guess if I'm ever burning alive I will suck it up and try.
    Oh, and get the organic kind with the mother.

My heartburn has been worse than ever before. Normally ACV with the mother works very well but I tried it the other day and it was torture going down. Maybe your gran's recipe is worth a try because the honey will soothe it on the way down.
  • Yep! Last pregnancy it started much later but I'm already taking acid reducer (approved) almost nightly. I can't sleep/eat/function without it. They say it's becuase the baby has hair but not at 17 weeks right?? DS was born with a FULL head of hair... good luck!
  • I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I can't see how apple cider vinegar would help with heartburn. I mean heartburn is caused by an over production of stomach acid. Vinegar is also an acid. You neutralize an acid with a base. But if you say it works based off personal experience then,... hey??? My personal experience with taking a shot of the apple cider vinegar (not for heartburn) caused my stomach to burn like fire until I threw it up and then I had a raw throat for a few days. I just can't get on board with a lot of the old wives tales. OP I'm sorry your suffering but I really hope you do find some relief. Your OB should be able to give you something if it continues.
  • I second talking to your ob about Zantac. My ob allows it and it really helps with the tums.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I did a 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and water and then I just set up for a couple hours and it eventually want to way but it was horrible it was going since the night before I've never had Heartburn like that thank you everyone
  • I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I can't see how apple cider vinegar would help with heartburn. I mean heartburn is caused by an over production of stomach acid. Vinegar is also an acid. You neutralize an acid with a base. But if you say it works based off personal experience then,... hey??? My personal experience with taking a shot of the apple cider vinegar (not for heartburn) caused my stomach to burn like fire until I threw it up and then I had a raw throat for a few days. I just can't get on board with a lot of the old wives tales. OP I'm sorry your suffering but I really hope you do find some relief. Your OB should be able to give you something if it continues.

I am all for trying home remedies, but if it doesn't work then I say go with image
  • missphilmissphil member
    edited July 2015
    Here is some science: All vinegars except Apple cider vinegar produce an acidic effect in the body. ACV is actually very alkalizing. This is also true about lemon juice for example. It is acidic and then becomes alkaline as it enters the body.

Here's a link that explains the research of one doctor on the subject. https://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/acid-alkaline-balance.html
    But I will say that the alkalizing effect of ACV is pretty well known and probably has been researched by many scientists.
  • I've had heartburn since before I found out I was pregnant. I tried absolutely every remedy I could find to avoid medications but nothing worked. It felt like my sternum had been dipped in pure acid. It was so bad it gave me headaches and I was barely able to eat. Everything made it worse and it was 24/7. I broke down and started taking 20 mg of Prilosec a day, sometimes needing 40 mg. I figure it has to be better for the baby that I am able to consume a healthy diet without being miserable. Nothing compares to the sweet relief I had once it kicked it. It was glorious.
  • Tums didn't work for me. I started taking Pepcid and it's been a life saver!
  • Absolutely ACV works to neutralize stomach acid, however, be sure you buy raw, unfiltered ACV like Bragg's. It contains additional enzymes that assist in digestion. It has positive effects similar to Kombucha, which is also good for heartburn.
  • I tried the all natural raw apple cider vinegar at work for a couple days and it got too bad and now I'm chewing on Tums when I go to the doctor on the fourth I'm going to see if I can get a prescription or something else I don't know what else to do it is constant I can't even eat without getting heartburn
  • I don't have any suggestions, but I really feel your pain. Every afternoon I feel like I have swallowed three bowls of burning fire. TUMS is my best friend. 
  • I was doing pepcid and 3-5 tums/day, still battling the fire. Doc recently put me on Protonix (FDA category B, so safe) and one in the morning before breakfast kills the heartburn ALL DAY. Sweet, sweet relief.
  • Gaviscon works! Tums did nothing for me