Babies on the Brain

Clothes shopping

So DH and I are talking about TTC later this year. And while out and about this weekend I ended up at Nordstrok Rack and bought a few cute dresses and some jeans. Later that night I got to thinking... Am I wasting my money if my body is going to change in unknown ways sometime in the future or should I enjoy dressing the body I have now. Anyone else holding off on buying certain clothes based on a future pregnancy? My BOTB is pretty all consuming apparently.
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: Clothes shopping

• meggyme said:

So DH and I are talking about TTC later this year. And while out and about this weekend I ended up at Nordstrok Rack and bought a few cute dresses and some jeans. Later that night I got to thinking... Am I wasting my money if my body is going to change in unknown ways sometime in the future or should I enjoy dressing the body I have now. Anyone else holding off on buying certain clothes based on a future pregnancy? My BOTB is pretty all consuming apparently.

I vote for enjoy dressing the body you have now! You never know what could happen with PG/TTC. Many women fit into their pre-baby clothes again before too long. I try to live by the rule (that I think I saw lurking somewhere) not to live like you're pregnant until you are.
  • I try to live by the rule (that I think I saw lurking somewhere) not to live like you're pregnant until you are.

I love this. Some days it's a fine line between preparing for pregnancy and being consumed by it. Sometimes it's difficult when you're not actually TTC to latch onto anything you can do to prepare. This was one of those moment. I did buy two banging dresses though.
  • Loading the player...
  • I say enjoy dressing for the size you are right now. Everyone loves an awesome dress
  • Yes, I agree! ^ ^ ^

Enjoy those banging dresses! I will be on the hunt for a dress soon; extremely formal wedding in December and month before we TTC. I'm going out with a bang, before baby #2 comes around.
  • @HookEmNelson we are TTC in January as well but this will be our first
  • I just realized I was over thinking the months of what's going on. We are actually starting to TTC in December and wedding is in November. My mind is clouded with being too excited.
    You got this! 2016 will be our year!!
  • You should always dress for the body you have, not the body you want (pregnant or otherwise). Everyone feels better when they know they're looking good.
  • Go for it! It may take a while but you should be able to get back to your pre-baby clothes. The only thing I would hold off on is shoes. I had no idea your feet grow after having a kid and sometimes your feet swell while pregnant. I bought some really cute shoes right before I got pregnant and I never got to wear them again. I had to get rid of a lot if shoes and get all new ones (good excuse to go shop but sad to say goodbye to my favorites). I've also heard that with each kid you have, your foot can grow too! I have 2 kids now and I was a 7 1/2 and went to an 8 after my 1st and stayed that size.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would dress for your body now. You never know how far into your pregnancy you will begin to show.
  • Go for it! It may take a while but you should be able to get back to your pre-baby clothes. The only thing I would hold off on is shoes. I had no idea your feet grow after having a kid and sometimes your feet swell while pregnant. I bought some really cute shoes right before I got pregnant and I never got to wear them again. I had to get rid of a lot if shoes and get all new ones (good excuse to go shop but sad to say goodbye to my favorites). I've also heard that with each kid you have, your foot can grow too! I have 2 kids now and I was a 7 1/2 and went to an 8 after my 1st and stayed that size.

Oh shoes are the worst. I was a 7.5 and now I'm pretty much an 8 too. The width has changed as well. Stick with the shoes you have.
  • Nooo not the shoes! I already wear a 9W and have to buy special shoes on the internet. Is foot binding an option (only semi-serious I swear)?
  • I'm with you @housewifehobbyist! Shoes are so expensive. I can't imagine my whole shoe collection being useless to me
  • It's a horrible reality.
  • I agree with everyone else. Dress for your body now. You can always use the clothes as motivation after the baby. :)

On a slight side note, am I the only one that buys a top or a dress and thinks, "Oh, this is cute. OH! This might work as a maternity top/dress... Go me! Planning ahead! *self high five*" Haha!
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Bahaha!  I've looked in my closet and been like "What could I wear when I'm pregnant"...  
  • I have lots of maxi dresses that will work :) 

Aside from justifying my purchase of a million maxi dresses, I don't really think too much about whether I'll fit in clothes during or after pregnancy. My weight has fluctuated so much in the past 10 years I have a wardrobe to fit myself in like four different sizes.
  • So has anyone held off buying shoes, or at least expensive shoes?
  • I didn't know before being pregnant, so it didn't really stop me. I just knew that during the end of my pregnancy that Birkenstocks were the most comfortable for my feet. They were my go to shoes for work.
  • I pretty much wore flip flops my entire first pregnancy (even in winter) I swole up a lot and it was so bad after birth, I couldn't wear slippers in the hospital or to go home. With my 2nd, I didn't have any swelling and wore my same shoes. Stretchy shoes are ideal. So if you have to buy shoes make sure they have a little give to them so you could wear them longer. I can still wear some of my flats and boots but none of my heals or sneakers fit. I tried to sell them even. Nothing. I ended up donating them cause all my friends have bigger feet than me. I'm gradually rebuilding my shoe selection.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't know before being pregnant, so it didn't really stop me. I just knew that during the end of my pregnancy that Birkenstocks were the most comfortable for my feet. They were my go to shoes for work.
    I've been wanting to invest in a pair of Birkenstocks! Now that you've said this I think this gives me a reason to purchase them ;) Thanks, @HookEmNelson!
    I've been wanting to invest in a pair of Birkenstocks! Now that you've said this I think this gives me a reason to purchase them ;) Thanks, @HookEmNelson!
    I love my Birkenstocks. I love hearing this too. Maybe I'll have a reason to buy a couple more pairs... Heh Heh. I think it's so funny, whenever I wear them DH likes to make the comment, "Babe, your Oregon is showing..." :P It'll always hold a special place in my heart.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Birkenstocks are the best! Now I'm convinced I need another pair. Just because of y'all.