December 2015 Moms
Options

Felt baby, now I don't

I'm a second time mom and 18 weeks. I'm pretty sure I've been feeling little baby flutters for the last five days. Yesterday and today I haven't felt any. I know the baby is still very small, but I'm still worried. Anyone have experience with this?! TIA!!

Re: Felt baby, now I don't

• Options
    This early the movements are still very sporadic. I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    I'm almost 20 weeks, I felt her off and on since 14-15 weeks, not regular... She has been getting regular more BUT there's days where she maybe moves twice that I'm aware of... I call it her lazy days or her being comfy lol... Or too busy to pay attention. Yesterday I didn't feel her any I don't think or any this morning/afternoon... She started getting rowdy around 8 & hasn't stopped lol... Just give it another day or so if nothing call your OB to calm your nerves, dopplers are amazing too for days like those.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kleshellekleshelle member
    edited July 2015
    Also, I know someone who is about 24 weeks she felt her baby daily 3-5x a day and she went 3 days without a single movement finally went to the ER for that and another issue, baby was completely fine. Don't stress too much! :)
  • Options
    I'm almost 20 weeks and haven't really felt baby move. I'm a STM.
    The doppler at home and doctor reports help reassure everything is fine.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. STM, 18 w and have felt Flutters everyday for a week and now yesterday and today nothing.
    While I have no words of wisdom, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. And I'm sure we are both fine!
  • Options
    tetchytetchy member
    I am having this same experience.  I have attributed it to baby being in a different spot or moving higher up and being in a spot where it is harder to feel. 
  • Options
    I'm a STM and have felt this bub since about 16.5 weeks, I'm now 18w 4d, the past few days I've felt barely anything but had a Drs appt the other day and heard the heartbeat so not too worried, the movements haven't gotten constant yet and probly won't for another few weeks
  • Options
    I asked my mom about this and she said I kicked her like 1x the entire pregnancy.... I was a lazy baby. Hopefully your baby is just like me and likes naptime. If you are worried, your ob.
  • Options
    I am 19 weeks on Wednesday and didn't feel the baby at all this weekend. Today, lots of fluttering going on. I think it is very normal at this point!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    kmkaull2 said:

I am 19 weeks on Wednesday and didn't feel the baby at all this weekend. Today, lots of fluttering going on. I think it is very normal at this point!

Same here! 19 weeks Thursday and nothing all weekend but a super active bubba today!! Movements will get more regular soon, with my ds I didn't feel them consistently til 22 weeks.

• Options
    Like others have said, it's very common at this point on pregnancy. Sometimes it's as simple as baby being in a position where you don't feel it but s/he's still moving. I found out at my anatomy scan that I have an anterior placenta so this is especially true for me right now.

If you feel you need to; try eating a meal, drinking some juice or milk, and relax for a while. Sometimes babies become more active after you've eaten. Other times you just haven't felt them if you've been moving, or they're sleeping.
  • Options
    Squirt has been being felt since 15w5d, I'm now 20w2d. SO can feel her from the outside and has told me she wakes up as soon as I go to sleep. I sleep like a rock (something that worries me about going into motherhood a little) my SO can pick me up and move me, can have the tv on and pretty much toss a party in the room and I won't wake up unless I want to. Than again I've babysat my niece and I think besides my 16,(yes 16) alarms one of which sounds exactly like the smoke detector and crying are the only 2 things that actually wake me up
  • Options
    @susiaustin My husband sleeps really deep, like what you're talking about. He's fairly well known among my family for falling asleep at gatherings and sleeping through EVERYTHING (including the infamous naked temper tantrum). Sometimes I keep nudging him until he wakes up (usually for his alarm when it wakes me). Mostly I'm the one that gets up with the baby. We've just agreed he takes his turn sometime during the day so I get naps after an all nighter. Maybe if it's an issue, you can work out something like this?
  • Options
    ess242ess242 member
    Thanks, all! I definitely feel better :).
  • Options
    @Mizuiro007 he works nights so that we don't have to do put the baby in daycare. I work days. Lucky for me I know crying wakes me, but also I wake up every 2-3 hours at night now, and have since I found out I was pregnant. SO is convinced my body is training me, I'm up for 10-20 minutes than out like a light. Before pregnancy if I was woken up there was no point of me even laying back down because I was up until the next night.
  • Options
    @susiaustin My mom has always told me the same thing, that pregnancy has a way of preparing you for parenthood and the different sleep.
  • Options
    @susiaustin I absolutely agree with @Mizuiro007 your body prepares you in pregnancy to wake, just wait til the 3rd trimester hits!! It gets worse lol also
    When bub is born your sleep cycle will change to be in line with the baby so you will wake, you'll be in tune with bub so don't worry about that too much :)
  • Options
    @sassysister18 Oh I know. This will be my second baby in a little over a year.
  • Options
    Try not to stress :) I have felt my baby daily for a week and now have gone a day without feeling her/him! But I've been extremely bloated lately so think she/he's just tucked under something! :)
  • Options
    At such an early gestation we do not put a lot of weight on feeling movement. It's hit or miss. My ultra sound tech described it to me as trying to move a bucket of water with a feather, it's just hard work for something soooooo small and not very strong. If you don't feel it yet just give it some time. In a few weeks you won't be able to miss it. I wouldn't be concerned till you are closer to 23 weeks.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    This my first pregnancy and I have been feeling sporadic movements since around 12 weeks. The ultrasound tech didn't believe me until she brought him up in the screen and I told her exactly where he was, and there he was going nuts lol. Due to an anterior placenta, I don't feel him for days sometimes depending on where he is. Only when he stretches or is very active do I feel him low and on the sides. I can go days without feeling him, then one morning he's so energetic I feel little kicks for hours. When he's most calm is when my ligaments are most painful, so maybe growth spurts play a role in making baby tired?
  • Options
    Unless you were the one feeling it, I doubt you know that. Negative nancy.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

You should feel your baby's first movements, called "quickening," between weeks 16 and 25 of your pregnancy. If this is your first pregnancy, you may not feel your baby move until closer to 25 weeks.
  • Options
    "May not" doesn't mean "will not". Science is not all knowing ;) If his movements had been just gas I wouldn't have been able to tell them where to put the ultrasound wand or the Doppler from 12 weeks on and have them find him exactly in that spot. Moving like crazy, no less.
  • Options
    I love some peoples incessant need to be right. It's great how worked up they get when someone doesn't go right along with what they say. Lol. It's OK for people to think different than you without getting chastised, believe it or not.
  • Options
    Oh, it's really not polite either to put down another person for something they believe. It's actually pretty rude and demeaning. It isn't cute and nobody enjoys a know it all.
  • Options
    And you know for an absolute fact it's impossible for a ftm to feel movements as early as I did? Of course you know. And of course I know what I felt and have been feeling since. We obviously won't convince each other so why be so horribly rude about it? It doesn't matter if we see things differently we can still choose to be civil human beings, as I am sure (well, I hope) that you teach in the class room. If I were a teacher, I would be appalled to hear any student of mine speak to someone in such a manner.
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited July 2015

Ok fine if you don't want To go with science then why not try logic ? The baby is literally 3 inches big during that time. It has almost no muscle mass. It's movements are mostly little reflexes. Very rarely , a STM will feel the quickening at 15 weeks when the baby starts to literally DOUBLE in size. This is because her insides have been pre stretched . You literally have a large peanut with little limbs , in a amniotic water balloon, incased in all this tight muscle.

I work in an environment where I deal with patients that will not see reason no matter what evidence I say. It's normal just to smile and nod and let them go on their way rather then have to tell them they are wrong multiple times. I don't need negative reviews coming to my boss because I made a patient upset for telling them what they didn't want to hear more than once.  I'm not saying all this to be mean or disrespectful to you, but its so , so , SO off reality that if I don't say something I feel like I will suffer some sort of karmic punishment.

P.S. I don't know if you have or haven't yet.  But I strongly recommend buying and reading these two books:  What to expect when you are expecting, and AAP's Caring for your baby and young child, 5th edition: birth to age 5.  Those two books cover almost everything you need to know about pregnancy, and what to expect.  I found them very helpfull and educational.

It isn't about telling me what I don't want to hear, I don't care about that. It's about being so nasty about it that gets me. There's no reason for that kind of attitude towards someone you have never met and will never meet.
    Oh, if you're getting complaints maybe consider your bedside manner? Just trying to be helpful here. If I sought professional advice and someone spoke to me like this, there would be issues for sure.
  • Options
    magburt said:

Funny, cause my kindergarteners probably believe in unicorns too.

So done with this. Read a pregnancy book.

Fine with me :)