Nurseries and Baby Gear

Car Seat

I know the pumpkin car seats have an expiration date on them. My question is can you use them after the date? Would the hospital check and have a problem?
Thanks

Re: Car Seat

• My hospital doesn't check the car seat at all. I wouldn't use past expiration date, but I know plenty that will. I've read that your car insurance won't cover medical expenses of child in an expired car seat, if in an accident.

There are programs to get a free car seat. Ask your hospital, social services, or do an Internet search for free car seat in your city. Sometimes they are not income qualifying.
  • asm07asm07 member
    Please don't use an expired seat. There are several inexpensive options for infant or convertible seats that will be much safer for your new baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Car seats have expiration dates for a reason. You should never use a seat past it's expiration.

This gives great info on why seats expire and the dangers of using them if expired https://csftl.org/expired-seats/
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • I had to look up what a pumpkin car seat even was (I have never heard that term before). I agree with the other posters, the hospital probably wont check, but there is a reason that ALL car seats have expiration dates on them (the plastic breaks down over time - especially sitting in cars that get hot/cold constantly). I would be hitting up programs for a free or discounted seat (if I couldn't afford a new one), before I would put my kid in a expired car seat. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Please don't put your child in an expired carseat. The little bit of money you would save on using expired rather than buying one that still has life left in it is not worth your child's life should you get in an accident.
  • The hospital will only check that you have a car seat installed in the car.  That being said, It is not safe to use an expired car seat.  The plastic can break down over time and the harness could rip right out of the plastic car seat shell, harming or even killing your baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12