January 2016 Moms
Options

News report on prenatal Dna test

Re: News report on prenatal Dna test

• Options
    I'm glad we denied those tests.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was explained about these tests and how high their accuracy rate was so I just did one these blood tests on Thursday. I figured I rather know now than later if anything were to show up...

Makes me mad I wish someone would of explained it a lot more in detail like the video did. I would of been devasted as that couple were if I received that news!!!!!
  • Options
    To rephrase not mad I took the test but if my results were misinterpreted I would be given those accuracy rates.
  • Options
    That's my opinion. I was generalising to the 97% I mentioned.

I don't have anything else to say on the matter. I'm so not defending myself for a valid opinion when so many women on here are purposely nasty and no one calls them out. I love my brothers and I don't agree with society deeming them and people like them unworthy of life. I'm sure not going to apologise for that.

Have a nice day.
  • Options
    Exactly what she said. These tests are NOT diagnostic, they are less invasive than diagnostic tests and simply looking for risk.

Many people who choose to get these test done simply are planners and want to be prepared for if there is an abnormality, not necessarily decide to terminate the pregnancy. ESPECIALLY off a test that again... determines RISK, not diagnosis.
  • Options
    kmcc14kmcc14 member
    I'm about as pro-life as they come, and I had the genetic testing done.  I'll admit it was mostly because I wanted the ultrasound, and I wasn't going to have my first until 20 weeks otherwise.  But I also think it is good to be prepared if there is a risk detected.  Of course I find the 97% statistic heartbreaking for babies with downs risk.  However, I have seen many, many posts on here from women who would not terminate no matter what the results, but just want to be prepared.  I've also seen several posts from women who want the test just to find out the sex early.  I understand why this is a touchy subject for someone who has family with special needs, but everyone does the test for different reasons.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lyannast said:

Eh, not a fan of prenatal testing. I think you should just love your child no matter how they come. Everyone has a right to life.

Plus they're inaccurate way too often.

This is an ignorant thing to say. There are many reasons to get the prenatal testing done and I believe "not loving your child" isn't one of them. Get some perspective.
  • Options
    As I said before, I was thinking of the rate of abortion statistically. What I said was because of the numbers and stories I've heard since living life with my brother.

If you're doing the test because you want to be informed, that's great. But the reality is, you're not the majority.

I'm going to stop posting on this now because it's really emotional for me. I'm already more emotional than usually and this is a subject that upsets me even without the extra hormones. I apologise for any offence, but that is my stance on testing where termination is concerned. I should have clarified that's what I meant in the first post. I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about termination but again, sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    This is exactly why we don't do any testing.
  • Options
    This is why women need to be educated and do their own research. The cell free DNA gives you ODDS, that's all. Have an amnio to confirm if you think you need more information, or don't if you want the baby no matter what. People just need to be educated enough to understand these things. 
  • Options
    Testing IS a VERY personal choice. I am almost 34 and chose to do so. My doctors office just called (on a Saturday - strange!!) to let me know that the test for everything came back negative. I am so relieved! Of course I would love my baby either way, I don't think testing says that anyone won't. I am just the type of woman who likes to be prepared for everything that I can (mentally, emotionally and physically) and so that is why I chose to do the blood work. We opted out of determining gender in a blood test because in Canada it's almost $1,000 and not covered by my extended benefits. I am almost 13 weeks and so in a few weeks we will know ;).
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing @je&moeder 
    This is the kind of thing people need to hear. I would be far more concerned about my baby being completely incompatible with life than having DS. 
  • Options
    Well, she seems to have GBCB'd anyway.  8-| Some people cannot handle other people's opinions or the internet. 
    Me:28 DH:35
    Married: 7.23.11
    DD:10.17.12
    EDD #2!:1.17.16 

• Options
    @lljbean yes! I almost wanted to post that on her thread but I figured I should just ignore it rather than give her what she probably wants. 
  • Options
    aphilli8aphilli8 member
    edited July 2015
    lyannast said:

As I said before, I was thinking of the rate of abortion statistically. What I said was because of the numbers and stories I've heard since living life with my brother.

If you're doing the test because you want to be informed, that's great. But the reality is, you're not the majority.

I'm going to stop posting on this now because it's really emotional for me. I'm already more emotional than usually and this is a subject that upsets me even without the extra hormones. I apologise for any offence, but that is my stance on testing where termination is concerned. I should have clarified that's what I meant in the first post. I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about termination but again, sorry for the confusion.

My opinion is your stance on what people do with their own bodies is irrelevant. That's what is so awesome about bodily autonomy.

This is emotional for a lot of people, which is why you should think before you make sweeping generalizations. Thanks for the apology though.
  • Options
    nanampnanamp member
    This is absurd. These are screening tests. Not meant to be diagnostic. They are meant to help you make a decision about whether to do a test like CVS or amnio.
    One day, they have the potential to replace those tests - but every doctor should know that we aren't there yet.
  • Options
    We got a lot of hard people on here. As Osteen would say... "Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I worked as a CNA with disabled children and occasionally adults. And the truth is more than half of the patients I have had, their disability occurred after birth and was not genetic. I will not place judgement on people who choose to terminate an extremely ill child, but as parents we must all realize that we are committed to these children for life, no matter what, and not just until they are 18, even if they are born healthy. I've seen kids choke and have near drown accidents that left them severely disabled. I've seen ADULTS have motor vehicle and motorcycle accidents that have had to return to the care of their parents. Where as I understand the idea of caring for a disabled child (and adult) for the entirety of their life is very frightening, we all must realize that life is uncertain and your baby being born without genetic problems doesn't illiminate that possibility. I mean this as "food for thought" and hope no one takes offense.