January 2016 Moms

Exclusively Pumping

Any stms exclusively pump before?

I breastfed my daughter for the first 8 weeks and we were both miserable. I hated it so much and I wish I could have enjoyed that time more. I switched to pumping after that and pumped for 6 months but I had such a tiny supply. I know I wasn't eating the right foods or drinking enough water. But I loved pumping and bottle feeding so much more. It was a lot more work but it worked for us.

I plan to try breastfeeding first but if I still hate it, I hope to exclusively pump again.

Any tips for keeping supply up when pumping? Good foods to eat? A good pump schedule?

Re: Exclusively Pumping

• SovvySovvy member
    Pump as often as you would nurse, so in the first month, you know that means every 2 hours, around the clock. Eat iron rich foods, lots of carbs and fat, lots of water. Make sure your flanges fit properly.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • I didn't exclusively pump, but I definitely found that when I skipped a nursing/pumping session my supply was teeny the next time around. Making sure you do it frequently and completely is the big thing. Try expressing yourself after you finish with the pump to get any milk the pump didn't get out. Pumps can't always get all of the milk out and if your body senses that there's milk left over, it'll slow production because it thinks it means it's producing too much for baby. Those were the tips I got from my lactation consultant when I told her I'd be BFing and pumping. Maybe just schedule an appointment with one of them?
  • Loading the player...
  • They teach moms of preemies to pump and then do hand extraction after because it helps get more out than pumping alone and helps increase supply by actually emptying the breast. I'm sure you could probably Google or you tube instructions to help with that.
  • I breastfed but pumped when I went back to work. One thing that I found was that I built a pumping session into my scheduled even if I was breastfeeding in the beginning to build my supply ( I either pumped a little after each nursing OR I pumped first thing in the AM before he ate when I had the most supply and forze it). . This way I was making a little bit more than I needed but had some set aside in freezer for a day I needed it or my supply dropped. Drink tons of water, like 80-100 oz a day. Also, make sure when you are pumping ( I know it is hard) but you want to stop pumping when there is no more drops coming out for a few minutes. THis makes sure that you are "emptying the best the pump will do" and telling your body to make this much more. IF you have to miss a session, make sure you are getting enough milk to make up the amount baby ate when you were not nursing, even if it isn't exactly on the same schedule.
  • I EPed as DS just did not want to latch and it became too frustrating. I think I did a 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, and 10pm pump bc that worked well with my work shifts. I was able to EP for a year on that schedule. It was not easy though as you know so I am hoping breastfeeding works this time around :)
  • I pumped bc my son was in the NICU and I have lots of meds to take (chronic migraines and kidney stones). I pumped every three hours except for a 6 hour stretch at night. I was religious about doing it. That helps keep supply and I have ZERO leaks. I also produced double what my huge baby wanted. I only went 3 months and then he ate for another 4 without formula ...totally not typical but helps with having twins this time.

The LC in The NICU told me to pick a schedule and stick with it. Your body learns your cues and won't freak out if your baby cries. Not everyone is that way, but it was true with me!

Whatever you decide will be what works! Use the lactation consultant when you are there at the hospital. They are so underused and are there to help you. Also ask if you can call after you leave. My pedi had an on call one as a service to her patients. Even though I didn't deliver at her hospital, I was still considered a patient since my son was.
  • Thanks everyone! I definitely need to make sure to ask the lactation consultant things at the hospital.
  • I could never pump more than a couple of ounces at a time. I had an adequate supply and did not have any issue feeding DS but for some reason I couldn't pump. I have a medela pump so that wasn't the issue. Not really sure what was wrong with me. I was a prisoner to breastfeeding. It's ok though, it didn't bother me so much. I'm hoping I'll be a little more successful this time around.
  • I could never pump more than a couple of ounces at a time. I had an adequate supply and did not have any issue feeding DS but for some reason I couldn't pump. I have a medela pump so that wasn't the issue. Not really sure what was wrong with me. I was a prisoner to breastfeeding. It's ok though, it didn't bother me so much. I'm hoping I'll be a little more successful this time around.

This was me exactly. Pumping was torture to get anything out, but he did great on the breast. Everybody's different, I hope pumping does you well this time!
  • I EP'd with DD due to latching issues. I pumped every two hours for the first few weeks then went to every 3. I actually had an over supply. I really hope breastfeeding works this time around. I did not enjoy pumping.
  • mrhargr said:

I EP'd with DD due to latching issues. I pumped every two hours for the first few weeks then went to every 3. I actually had an over supply. I really hope breastfeeding works this time around. I did not enjoy pumping.

This exactly. DD never latched so I EP. I pumped ever 2 hrs from birth until 12 weeks, then every 3 hrs until I quit at 10 months, cutting out the night pumps when she stopped waking up during the night. I ended up having to buy a huge deep freezer because I had so much milk, hence my stopping at 10 months. She still had enough milk to make her to 16 months.

Tips - drink lots of water, gatorade, etc to keep your supply up. Pump for a full 15 minutes each time. If your supply is dropping, add another 5 minutes until you boost back up.

Honestly, EPing was super easy. I see my sister BFing for an hour trying to grt her baby to eat, sleeping very little, and still having no supply. I will definitely EP this baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aelocke said:

mrhargr said:

I EP'd with DD due to latching issues. I pumped every two hours for the first few weeks then went to every 3. I actually had an over supply. I really hope breastfeeding works this time around. I did not enjoy pumping.

This exactly. DD never latched so I EP. I pumped ever 2 hrs from birth until 12 weeks, then every 3 hrs until I quit at 10 months, cutting out the night pumps when she stopped waking up during the night. I ended up having to buy a huge deep freezer because I had so much milk, hence my stopping at 10 months. She still had enough milk to make her to 16 months.

Tips - drink lots of water, gatorade, etc to keep your supply up. Pump for a full 15 minutes each time. If your supply is dropping, add another 5 minutes until you boost back up.

Honestly, EPing was super easy. I see my sister BFing for an hour trying to grt her baby to eat, sleeping very little, and still having no supply. I will definitely EP this baby.
    I spent the first months spending an forever trying to make bf work and I was so much happier when I switched. To me, ep was more work but so so much easier and better for my sanity.
  • I am completely open to it if it needs to be done. I'll have to pump at work anyway so it wouldn't be much more added to that and I'm sure I would get used to it. 
  • For supply... I would always make lactation cookies and they work probably a little too good. Sometimes the next day I would need to throw some cabbage leaves on my boobs. Just google/Pinterest it and you'll find loads of recipes.

For comfort ... I would try Medela nipple cream, it's way better than that Lansinoh stuff. It's creamy and goes on so much easier. Just keep those puppies lathered up, it helps with the pain of the suckling.

Kellymom.com has the best breastfeeding tips and also stuff on pumping...check it out if you are interested.

If exclusively pumping works, then you go girl. That seems like a lot of work to me, but you do it when a lot of women would just give up on breast milk. That's awesome.
  • I exclusivly pumped with my first daughter for a year (she never latched and I beat myself up over it). Like others said, you have to pump as often as you would feed baby to get the supply to grow. Every 2-3 hours in the beginning, even at night. I do have to say I don't think I'll exclusivly pump if this new baby doesn't latch. It was not good for me mentally. Definitely contributed to the postpartum depression.

This time I told myself I'll give the breastfeeding a try week at most. If it works, awesome. If not, I'm going formula.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mama to one girl: born 12/2009. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • A good pump! The Medela freestyle was awesome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I exclusively pumped with my lil guy because he was premature and I had to add a high calorie powder to help him gain weight.

I found it easy to exclusively pump except when my lil dude became fussy mid pump and had to be held. That was a giant pain in the ass. It also made it easy to transition to go back to work as well has giving my husband/family a chance to feed him so I could take a break.

I used to the Lansinoh pump and plan to use it again for sure.
  • I ep for my daughter for a yr. I really wanted to nurse but it didn't work and I beat myself up about it. I hope that bf works this time around. If not I will go to ep. Pumping worked for us bc it kept my sanity in tact and we could have gone dates. I know it's selfish but I needed it for sanity. I already ordered the kiinde kit. I really hope nursing works
  • kkh225kkh225 member
    I EP for a year as well due to poor latching. It was hard work, but it was worth it to me. I pumped every three hours for 6 weeks until my son started sleeping through the night, then I just dropped one at night. I did a lot of hand expression as well. I ate a lot of oatmeal, drank tons of water, and didn't worry about my caloric intake for about 6 months. At about 6 months, I cut down to 4 pumps a day and then down to 3 at 9 months. I liked allowing other people to feed him and help out when I had to get stuff done.