January 2016 Moms
Options

Vegetarian craving Meat

I am 14 weeks 5 days and for the last 2 weeks I have been craving chicken tenders so bad. I have been a vegetarian/pescatarian for 15 years so I don't want to just give in and go for it but no meat substitutes have eased the craving. Any other veggies out there experiencing this? 

Re: Vegetarian craving Meat

• Options
    Me! I've been vegetarian for most of my life, but am craving meat so bad. 12 weeks 6 d. I have to admit I have been eating a bit of meat in the last 2 weeks as I figure my body must be missing something. A bit of free range chicken, some tuna and salmon have made a big difference. Usually I am repulsed by meat, now I'm repulsed by salsa, salad and vegetables. Wtf?
  • Options
    Eat it! Your body craves what it needs (within reason, no one needs a dozen donuts, lol).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cawalpcawalp member
    @willashbaby I definitely feel like I need a dozen doughnuts lol

For OP, while I was not a vegetarian it seems like this baby wants me to be. I cannot even look at meat without wanting to throw up. So sometimes your body just wants/doesn't want certain things. I'm sure you know how to get enough protein, other than that just fight the cravings. There's nothing in meat (besides taste) that you can't get somewhere else.
  • Options
    willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited July 2015
    @cawalp compromise with two :)
  • Options
    skfgskfg member
    I agree w/pp, the craving is one way your body is telling you it needs something. I am not a vegetarian and rarely eat red meat as it typically causes me a fair bit of inflammation. Right before I found out I was pregnant and the first month I constantly craved red meat, it seemed I couldn't get enough. Once I gave into those cravings and ate a lot of red meat, my MS lessened and once my body got the iron/protein my cravings stopped.
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    Disagree that your body craves what it needs. That's a myth, except in extreme circumstances. Studies have proven cravings are much more mental than physical. If they were about health, people wouldn't crave chips and sweets and all that other nutritionless crap we think we will die without.

Not sure where you live, but I'm a vegetarian and find that each store carries different brands that all taste unique. If your go to brand isn't doing it for you, try a different store. Gardein, Oh Naturel and Presidents Choice all have solid fake chicken, but I have to go to three different stores to get them.
  • Options
    I have slowly been introducing meat into my diet since finding out I'm preggo. (I'm 10+3) I've made sure everything has been super clean and mostly local. As a long-time vegetarian I would admittedly sometimes eye my husband's prochuitto sandwich or step-daughter's ckn fingers so I'm wondering if my 'pregnancy cravings' are just an excuse to get down on that! Remember, you can always go back.
    ME (31) DH (44) DSD (10) DSD (7)

IVF following failed VR.....

"The snow falls, each flake in its appropriate place."

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year and also found myself craving meat during pregnancy, when it normally would gross me out. I've just embraced it, eating a burger or chicken when it sounds good and generally sticking to no meat otherwise. I couldn't even think about eating veggies for a few weeks because of the nausea, so I figure it was my body's way of telling me to get the iron and protein elsewhere.
  • Options
    Ha! I am the complete opposite.  Former meat eater, cannot stomach the thought of meat since being pregnant.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    mg137mg137 member
    For what it's worth, I find that my body is really good at craving what it needs during pregnancy. If you don't have any serious moral or health reasons not to, you might consider eating some meat. I only eat humanely raised meat so you could try that to lessen your meat footprint. ;)

Otherwise have your dr check that your iron isn't low if you haven't already.
  • Options
    mg137mg137 member
    Also consider high protein smoothies. If your iron is fine your body might just want more protein.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to have my doc check my iron levels just to make sure and hopefully I won't succumb to those chicken tenders!
  • Options
    Yes! 

Although, honestly, I can't call myself a vegetarian. It's more of an effort, or preference. I eat meat on occasion, particularly when I'm craving it or feeling off. I've learned to really listen to my body over the past few years. I did some research on nutrition, and while protein is typically what people ask about, it's actually an iron issue. Protein is easy to get from plants. Iron is too, but there are two different types. The iron found in meat is different, and if you need it, you need it. Especially when pregnant, and for me personally as I am often iron deficient anyway, I eat meat (usually chicken) when I feel off or weak. It always brings me back to even-keeled. 

That said, everyone is a vegetarian or vegan for a different reason. If this compromises your beliefs, talk to your doctor about supplements or other ideas.