Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Hello & Free Childcare?

ChocodoxiesChocodoxies member
edited July 2015 in Toddlers: 24 Months+
Hello!

I'm not new to TB but I've been MIA for a bit. I am 33 and have two daughters, Ariel Rose (Pandabear) age 2yrs, and Monica (TootsieBelle) age 7yrs. I'm a SAHM and DH works from home as well. I wanted to say hello, and ask you all a question. I've searched back recently and don't see this topic, so my apologies if this is a repeat or a "beaten till dead" horse. I posted here and at the SAHM board. I really need some advice.

My cousin is 22 and just had a DD2mos with a former flame. He is completely not involved, though she's holding out hope. She just started a full-time position at a dentist office and I offered to watch DD 40hours a week for $100/wk. She flipped out and the long and short of it is that I "don't do anything all day anyway", that her DD sleeps most the time, and I'm family so I should do it for free because "that's what family is for". Her non working mother refused to watch DD.

My question is (with the average cost being $250/wk in Northern Ca) is expecting $100/wk for 40hrs of childcare a ridiculous price? What would you do/say?

(Please forgive me if my siggy is out of date. I'll update ASAP.)
Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Hello &amp;amp; Free Childcare?

• Options
    I don't think it's a ridiculous price, I think it's very reasonable and generous- especially since you already have 2 children of your own. Just because she is family doesn't mean you're obligated to babysit her kid all week for free. If she doesn't want your services and does not want to pay that, then she'll have to put her baby in a DC center or look elsewhere.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    $100/wk is dirt cheap. I wouldn't do it for free myself either.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your cousin needs to get over it.  I'd love to pay $100 a week!!  (daycare centers where I am are around $230-$250/wk & in home $150-$200/wk per child). She'll be in for a reality check when she shops around for daycare outside of family and realizes that its not cheap.  She's working full time, so she should be able to afford at least that.  Plus, you deserve to be compensated for your time as well.  Babies take a lot of attention - even if they do sleep a lot - and you have your own kids to take care of too. 
  • Options
    Let her start looking for an alternative. She will wise up really fast. $100/week for full-time childcare is a DEAL. Jealous of that offer!