March 2015 Moms

Annoying Co Workers and Pumping

Every single time I go back to the office after pumping someone chimes in with a "gosh, finally!" It's so stinking annoying and I'm getting upset because I feel like my boss is going to catch on and not let me pump anymore. I usually take about 20 - 25 minutes. Is that crazy long? Anyone else getting grief for pumping at work?
Pregnancy Ticker
For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

Re: Annoying Co Workers and Pumping

• Your boss can't stop letting you pump (assuming there are more than 50 employees and you're covered by FLSA). You have the right to: 

"reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for 1 year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk." (from the US Dept of Labor)

That's not too long. 
    Think of a witty reply and say the same thing every time until they get bored of giving you a hard time. "How did you manage without me?"
    Don't apologize. It is your right.
    Haha! I like that response. Thanks :)

Unfortunately, there are only about 6 people in our office, so I'm not protected. My boss is really great about working with me since I've had LO. I hope he continues!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I need to have a co-worker cover for me while I pump.  Lucky me (sarcasm) I work with a bunch of guys.  He calls my morning & afternoon pumping sessions 'breaks'.  Like I'm back there eating bonbons and watching TV instead of hooking myself up to a milking machine like a dairy cow. :)  I told him its the farthest thing from a break.  He also called my maternity leave 'vacation'.  I think he's trying to be funny, but he just doesn't get it.

My office only has 5 people, but the company itself might have close to 40-50.  Either way, I'm taking my 'breaks' and they can just deal with it. I'm usually only gone 15-20 minutes, and then spend my lunch break pumping as well.
  • EDWHIPEDWHIP member
    I have a similar problem, but I don't get actual comments.  Just dirty looks.  One of the co-workers never had children and the other one doesn't understand why I don't formula feed.  If my boss wants to give me a raise to cover the cost of formula I actually might consider it!!!  I pump 3-4 times a day @ 10-15 minutes each.  There are people in my office who take longer butt breaks!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • EDWHIP said:

I have a similar problem, but I don't get actual comments.  Just dirty looks.  One of the co-workers never had children and the other one doesn't understand why I don't formula feed.  If my boss wants to give me a raise to cover the cost of formula I actually might consider it!!!  I pump 3-4 times a day @ 10-15 minutes each.  There are people in my office who take longer butt breaks!

Haha butt breaks :))
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I am gone for 35-40 minutes at a time... :-SS
    But I only pump twice during the day (even though LO eats 3-4 times at daycare, so I try to pump longer to make up for it) and I often work while eating lunch. A friend of mine is hourly and her work interprets the "reasonable break time" as literally break time. So in order to pump at work, she needs to work an extra hour each day to keep her same income. :( At least they give her the pump time, because it could be so much worse, but it sucks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I seriously give you working/pumping mommies credit! I hated pumping so much that I ended up just nursing my kids. It's so awesome that you guys are keeping at it! I don't think people realize what a HASSLE it is; all the cleaning, storing, pumping, labeling, sanitizing, bottle training, etc.

Next time someone gives you attitude you should just look at them and say, "What?!?! PROBLEM?!?"

Bunch of ignorant butts!