• Options
    imageimage
    Due 11.16.17
    Baby Girl 12.9.15
    MC 2.1.15 @ 5 W - Chemical
    MC 4.7.14 @ 21 W - Turners Syndrome

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry but I am still confused as to why those other posters were SO angry about you throwing your own baby shower. I remember you asked a specific question too, and that went totally left. Sorry you had to deal with that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You don't even know how much I want to gif I just haven't even attempted it yet. One day I will sit down and read the numerous directions on how to do it and just try... 
  • Options
    @magburt now I want details about your previous board drama

• Options
    I hadn't asked for their opinions on throwing my own shower, I was trying to understand what the problem was in the first place with doing something like that. Instead of being informative/supportive they just tried to make me feel like a complete moron. A poster on here earlier did a great job of explaining why it was bad etiquette and how to avoid that if I wanted my own shower/party without it seeming like I was just being gift grabby. There are ways to answer support boards like the bump is supposed to be and actually help people without tearing them apart in the process. It's not like I came on and was like "hey guys, I do tons of drugs while pregnant and don't understand what the issue is," I was trying to see why it was bad form to throw my own shower. Yeah, I told them I didn't see what the problem was and that I was planning on throwing my own, but that was because everyone was just typing eye rolls at how pathetic people were for throwing their own and not explaining why it was even a bad thing. 
  • Options
    Again, nobody is angry. It's just astounding to some people how entitled others are. A shower is a gift, if no one offers to throw you one, you just don't get one. In the grand scheme of things, not that big of a deal. It's not a life event like a wedding, graduation or the birth of your child. It really is just a party where people shower you with gifts to care for your new baby. I can't imagine hosting a party in my own honor where people are expected to bring gifts. It just seems desperate and so very awkward.

I have a huge family also both my parents have a lot of siblings and I have at least 40 first cousins. I still kept my guest list under 50 people.
  • Options
    That's kind of silly to say if no1 throws you a shower you just don't get one. I don't think that's how it works lol
  • Options
    taysuntaysun member
    @LetMePatYourHairLots do you also think women wearing pants is a new thing that isn't right?
    Obviously everything new doesn't always stay and isn't always right but I think gifting honeymoon experiences isn't a horrible thing to become normal.
  • Options
    Why is it disturbing? Just because a couple didn't go to an expensive place and register for fancy dishes, and prefers to have a great life experience over having things that doesn't make it any less meaningful. It's what is meaningful to the couple and it's better to have a couple that wants it use money towards a great honeymoon, than on fancy China they may not ever really use. Personally if I was spending $100 on anyone I'd rather know it didn't end up as something gathering dust in the back of their cabinet and actually got used, even if they used it to buy themselves dinner, at least it wasn't wasted. 

When my DH and I got married I was in college and not making great money, and he was working 2 jobs to try and pay for the wedding. Once again, my family couldn't really help with the wedding beyond buying me the wedding dress, so we had to pay for everything else. My DH had never been out of the country at that point and we had saved up exactly enough to travel to Europe and live off of a $50 a day budget for food, trains, souvenirs, and whatever other surprises came up. We didn't have wiggle room to go and do things or buy a nice dinner, or pay for entry into museums or whatever else caught our eye while over there and that was with us waiting 2 months after the wedding to go to try and save more. Having our guests help fund the honeymoon made it one of the greatest experiences ever because we actually got to do things like go on the gondola ride, and get into the museums, and have dinners, and pay for the surprise $200 luggage fee from ryanair which would have left us not eating for 4 days otherwise. I appreciated that so much more than if I would have gone and registered for pretty dishes etc because honestly DH and I just don't care about that kind of stuff. We would rather travel. 

Personally I think it's totally cute and acceptable if a couple wants gift cards, or a start a down-payment for a house fund, or pay for a honeymoon experience etc etc because you know it's something the couple really truly cares about. Not to say a couple can't care about dishes, some couples would much rather have those and that is perfectly fine as well. Some people just don't want or need more things so why not get them something they do actually want/need? What is disturbing about that? 
  • Options
    When I got married, I didn't get a bridal shower. Nor was I going to get a Bachelorette party, because my maid of honor was my younger sister, who was not aware of tradition. In fact, none of my family or friends are well-versed in this whole traditional way of doing things. Maybe we lack proper etiquette, maybe we just don't care, whatever the case may be, my family didn't even know I wanted a bridal shower, so didn't think to throw me one.
    When I found out I was pregnant, I did feel the need to ask - not for someone to host it, but if anyone was planning on hosting it, and once again, nothing. So I started a pintrest board and added my mom and sister, and they have caught on, and are really excited.
    Maybe I was rude by the way I went about this?
    But I don't think anyone should be attacked based on their opinions, questions, or situations, especially by traveling board to board just to do so
  • Options
    rewarereware member
    Peony1982 said:

That's kind of silly to say if no1 throws you a shower you just don't get one. I don't think that's how it works lol

That's actually exactly how how it works. Same with a bridal shower.

Oh wow. Speaking of 'silly girls living in their own silly world.'

You girls really should get out more.
  • Options
    I too am old school where I don't think it should look like you just want 'stuff' from people, but it's definitely in the approach. I think the bigger issue is that no one is offering to throw you one
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    313Meg said:

magburt said:

@melissadmag seems like the trolls followed you home.

See... :)

Quote box fail--------------------
  • Options
    I'm going to host my own baby shower just because I'm a bit of a control freak. I see nothing at all wrong with hosting your own. I mean it's your baby, your baby shower, you shouldn't be forced to do something you don't want to just because of "bad etiquette". It's not their shower, don't let them tell you how to do it.
  • Options
    taysun said:

@LetMePatYourHairLots do you also think women wearing pants is a new thing that isn't right?
    Obviously everything new doesn't always stay and isn't always right but I think gifting honeymoon experiences isn't a horrible thing to become normal.

Wow. That's an epic stretch there.
  • Options
    Forgive me for being a troll because I disagree, but I would never ask someone to pay for my honeymoon. We couldn't afford anything huge so we took a small 3 day trip to a nearby hiking place. We didn't hit everyone we knew up for money. It may be ok in your circle but I didn't grow up that way.
  • Options
    Actually I was very polite and didn't specifically bash anyone, as you say, I merely presented my viewpoint. But cool story.
  • Options
    War of the Worlds on TheBump!
  • Options
    MelissadmagMelissadmag member
    edited July 2015
    @rgz I can respect that feeling. Nothing you said was in any way insulting and you just explained your views which I don't mind at all. I know some girls on here have been saying they would do things like throw 3 different showers due to all the different people in their lives that would like to attend one. Putting the whole throwing one for yourself thing aside for a moment would it be better to maybe throw a family only shower, a friends only shower, and a coworker shower or is that just too much as well? I can understand that 100 people would be a crazy amount of people and if people are expecting to go to a small gathering and be able to have a conversation with the MTB and get some one on one attention that would be difficult with so many people. Is it a better idea to split them up and have a handful of baby showers? Or baby parties so it's not just a gift grabby thing? DH and I just have a lot of people that have already voiced that they want to come to our shower and it's adding up fast, especially since we already had so many family members that would obviously come. 
  • Options
    I do remember the baby shower post on Dec15 being a bit scary. It is weird to me that THIS is an issue that people get all up in arms about... boring, don't care! 

My mom told me she thinks I should host my own (because she is kind of inept when it comes to this kind of thing...) and I told her about the etiquette problem so she is going to 'host' and I'm going to guide her through it... our choices were changed by that discussion on dec15 because I don't want to offend anyone close to me (though I really think my circle couldn't care less). At this point I just don't even want to do it anymore. How is this fun? Bf wants to have a co-ed party at our house and now I'm all worried that people will think it's in bad taste. Too much stress over silliness!

SaveSave
  • Options
    I think it would definitely depend on what you feel more comfortable doing. I'm personally having 3 because of big family and my family split up while I was young so doing things seperated is the norm to me. I personally like both ideas. If you do have the one with over 100 people, maybe just inform the guests that it's a big baby shower with not just family but friends and coworkers? I think it would be kind of fun to meet so many people and get to know everyone.