Birthday Parties
Options

What age do you stop gifting nieces & nephews at?

annie10annie10 member
edited July 2015 in Birthday Parties
What age did you/ will you stop giving nieces & nephews presents/gift cards? Or will you ever stop? Our oldest nephew is 19 & is living on his own (though still taking money from his parents & honestly pretty immature.) I don't think we will do a gift or gift card this year. Only partially for financial reasons but mostly because I feel like we have to stop sometime. And he'll be out of his teens. Anyway, not a big deal just curious if others have a certain age they stop at. If it makes any difference we only have 1 sibling with kids & their family has 6 with some being quite younger than the oldest nephew, so we will contnue to gift for them for sometime.

Re: What age do you stop gifting nieces & nephews at?

• Options
    Hey there,
    I'm new to this specialty area, but I noticed no one responded so maybe I can help. I come from a large family. My parents, aunts and uncles still gift us all well into adulthood. They usually do cards with some money in them (like $25-$100, depending on the reason and aunt/uncle). Also, they do gifts like things you may need. So for example maybe you need some work pants, or a new jacket. Another option is a card with some money if the niece or nephew is a parent, and usally more clothes and stuff (not like crazy expensive) for the child.

I truly think that it is up to you and your SO, whether or not you gift your nieces and nephews and how. Maybe figure out what works for YOUR budget and do just that. I'd suggest buffering it for your nephew though. Explain that he is older now and that you'd like to focus on the little ones like you did him...or something of that effect, just to ease possible tension. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    18 and done.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah I think it is ok to stop now.
  • Options
    every family is different but in ours birthdays/holidays are a big deal on my side but not at all on dh's side.
    granted my nieces/nephews on my side are all under 18. The oldest is 17 and I don't think I'll stop getting him gifts for a long time lol.
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • Options
    In my family, we did gifts until high school graduation. After that, just cards (not gift cards, but to let them know they were remembered).
  • Options
    My husband and I were talkin about this.  His niece is about 20 and getting married soon.  We are stopping this year.  But we will probably always continue getting his nephew something as he is special needs.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • Options
    For my family, we are still getting gifts from our uncles and aunties, and I am in my late 20s. However, we do give back to the younger ones now as we have taken the responsibility of white elephant. In your financial situation, it perfectly understandable that you stop giving gifts. They should be old enough to understand that it should stop sometime. And, it shouldn't be a big deal. In the end of the day, it's not all about the gifts. Christmas is about enjoying your time with your family.

Happy Holidays!

Inspring and supplying crafters. Americasfavors.com