November 2015 Moms

Oligohydramnios(low fluid)

I went in for my 20 week ultrasound, and the only thing they found of a little bit concern was that I have low amniotic fluid, and will be doing another ultrasound in 4 weeks to see if it's still low or getting lower. Has anybody else experienced this? I'm not overly worried but would like to know what to expect if it stays low or gets worse!

Re: Oligohydramnios(low fluid)

• Sorry to hear. I don't have any advice but I did see a similar post on the high risk board; you may want to check there for some advice. Wishing you the best.
  • Sorry to hear. I don't have any advice but I did see a similar post on the high risk board; you may want to check there for some advice. Wishing you the best.

Thank you! I tried searching and didn't find anything, I must have been using the wrong words!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had that towards the end with DD. They did ultrasounds every so often to keep an eye on things. I ended up going into labor a week and a half before due date. She didn't come until 4 days before though.. That's another story.
    When they discovered it, I was 26 weeks. My uterus was measuring small and they were worried. They sent me in for an emergency ultrasound and figured out she was growing fine. But, my fluid was low. She was running out of room. They told me that if she was in danger we would schedule an induction or a C-section. Thank goodness it never came to that.
    Sorry I don't have much more information other than my own experience. I hope you find the information you are looking for!
  • LizQ2LizQ2 member
    I had this with DD2 and they did ultrasounds every 2-4 weeks to keep checking it. My doctor told me to drink a ton of water because that can help. I would drink 100 oz. a day. My levels never dropped to a dangerously low level but they stayed low from 20 weeks onward. They did end up inducing me at 39 weeks for it, but I had no serious complications. Baby was perfectly fine and weighed a healthy 7 lbs 3 oz when she was born!

I also remember them saying that based on how the baby is positioned, the measurement can be off by a bit so they like to recheck to make sure. I hope your fluid levels go up or at least don't drop anymore the rest of the time!

*YCSWU July Siggy*

• I have not but drink plenty of water. If u drink no more hopefully the baby will pee more creating more fluid. It work for a friend, no guarantee
  • Sorry you are dealing with this! Hope you have a good turnout like some of the pp's.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Thank you all for your replies!  I'm drinking tons(although I was before too, so that's what kind of concerns me), and I read that spending a lot of time in pools/baths can actually possibly help as well.  Here's to hoping the fluid goes back up!
  • I don't have any experience with this, but just finished "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster (found out about it somewhere on this board, thank you bump pals).  I would give it a read in any case, I thought it was great.  But she did devote a chapter on low fluid levels, very clear with good information.  And she does a great job of citing all her sources and studies, so you can read further.  Good luck!
  • Falchas said:
    I don't have any experience with this, but just finished "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster (found out about it somewhere on this board, thank you bump pals).  I would give it a read in any case, I thought it was great.  But she did devote a chapter on low fluid levels, very clear with good information.  And she does a great job of citing all her sources and studies, so you can read further.  Good luck!
    Thank you!  I will definitely look into it.
  • Best of luck to you & your baby! It's great that it's summer, because it will be easy to get in all that extra water!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hope everything improves for you!  Sending well wishes your way.
  • Thank you all! Ultrasound is in three weeks to check again. I'll update :)
  • I had oligo in my last pregnancy.  Everything else was fine.  I ended up delivering via CS at 39w1d to an 8lb1oz baby!
  • My friend had a low fluid issue with her 2nd and it did get dangerously low so they ended up inducing at 36 weeks. She delivered a very healthy nearly 6 pound boy who is turning 1 in a few weeks. He wasn't even technically considered premature because he made the cut by 1 day and they're both totally fine. They monitored her closely all throughout.
    YCSWU
  • I had oligo in my last pregnancy.  Everything else was fine.  I ended up delivering via CS at 39w1d to an 8lb1oz baby!

That's so good to hear, thank you! I'm glad it ended well for you!
  • MadBloom said:

My friend had a low fluid issue with her 2nd and it did get dangerously low so they ended up inducing at 36 weeks. She delivered a very healthy nearly 6 pound boy who is turning 1 in a few weeks. He wasn't even technically considered premature because he made the cut by 1 day and they're both totally fine. They monitored her closely all throughout.

Oh that's scary for her! Thanks for the info, I'm glad it was a happy ending. Good to know! Of course I shouldn't have googled it because they're all horror stories.
  • Thank you for posting this. I just got a phone call this morning to schedule an ultrasound for next week due to low levels. I didn't get much information from the dr office about it, so I have been really upset about it all afternoon. I am following this board. Best of luck and prayers for our little ones :) on the bright side, we get to see our little loves again.
  • Thank you for posting this. I just got a phone call this morning to schedule an ultrasound for next week due to low levels. I didn't get much information from the dr office about it, so I have been really upset about it all afternoon. I am following this board. Best of luck and prayers for our little ones :) on the bright side, we get to see our little loves again.

I hope your ultrasound shows good news and is reassuring!!