July 2015 Moms

Would you opt for induction?

I'm 37.4 weeks today and yesterday at my dr appt my BP was 133/87 and baby wasn't moving much on the NST. Granted, it took place at 2pm and he usually moves around before lunch and at night. He's never moved around a ton though, I have an anterior placenta and only recognized movement around 28 weeks. It's been hard to do kick counts cause he just seems pretty chill in there. HR has been fine. So the dr came in and said she wants to do an induction for today, Cytotec then Pitocin. I asked if she thought something was wrong, she said no, everything is probably fine. So I opted to go elsewhere for a 2nd opinion later this afternoon. I am completely freaked out about Cytotec and I'm concerned about the correlation between pitocin and autism, esp elevated in boys (we're having a boy). I told them if they want to do this early then I'm all for having a c-section but I'm really hesitant about these induction drugs. I'm 0cm dilated btw. Any experiences with Cytotec vs Cervidil and thoughts on what you'd do in this situation? I'll update after I get the 2nd opinion later today.

Re: Would you opt for induction?

• mnj05mnj05 member
    If there's nothing concerning, I would wait. I was induced at 39w with my first and only needed pitocin, was already 5cm. It was a good experience and honestly you'll have more meds for a c/s than you would for an induction. I haven't heard about the correlation between pit and autism.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• There have been a lot of posts recently about other women's experiences with induction--I think I've commented on two just today. I'd read down through those if you're looking for specific experiences.

My question to you is, why did you choose your doctor in the first place? Do you feel like she is well-qualified and has an adequate amount of experience? I am also in the camp that you should be well-informed and ask questions, but from what I know about pre-e, the risks of continuing to carry the child far outweigh the risks of induction drugs. Ask questions and be informed, but trust your doctors. That's what they went to school for and do everyday!
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List