December 2015 Moms
Options

Natural Childbirth mamas - SHARE your resources!

grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
edited June 2015 in December 2015 Moms
To those of you who have had, or plan on having a natural, un-medicated childbirth. How are you preparing? What resources helped you last time?
Bradley/hypnobirthing?
I've been told this is a great resource, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
I'm also considering taking a class my OB offers called "Comfort Measures of Labor" among others.

I'd love to learn how you all plan to prepare! The more resources the better.

Re: Natural Childbirth mamas - SHARE your resources!

• Options
    There's also a Natural Birth forum here on TB. It's a wealth of knowledge with all things natural!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not knocking trying to prepare, but I had my first 2 kids all natural. I didn't have a choice with #1 as I got to the hospital just before giving birth. However, it wasn't THAT bad (for me...everyone deals with pain differently). It can be done! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    misamima said:
    There's also a Natural Birth forum here on TB. It's a wealth of knowledge with all things natural!
    Oh thank you @misamima I didn't know that. Will check in there ;)
  • Options
    I'm not knocking trying to prepare, but I had my first 2 kids all natural. I didn't have a choice with #1 as I got to the hospital just before giving birth. However, it wasn't THAT bad (for me...everyone deals with pain differently). It can be done! Good luck!
    That's great to hear it isn't that bad! I hope mine comes fast too ;) 
  • Options
    I second Ina Mae's book. The stories are incredible. And I focused on my meditation, and visualization. A lot of people think it's hokey, but deep breathing, and focusing on my visualization (can be different for everyone), is what got me through labor. It was a beautiful experience.
  • Options
    misamima said:

Where is this located? I would like to check it out but I can't find it...
  • Options
    Where is this located? I would like to check it out but I can't find it...

https://forums.thebump.com/categories/natural-birth
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you @misamima, I couldn't find it anywhere! I'm off to have a look now :)
  • Options
    So happy to see this thread! Just did one of my hypnobirthing CDs and fell a sleep as usual!!
  • Options
    I did hypnobabies with my last baby.
    It was a very calm and easy birth
    Emily & Alex imageimage
  • Options
    We are taking a Bradley class right now! It's amazing and very helpful so far :)
  • Options
    I think we are going to take a Bradley class a little later on and I've been reading Mindful Birthing
  • Options
    My first two I did natural and plan the same for this one. My daughter was 1st and I didn't have a choice got to the hospital as she was heading out. My son I figured I did it once so I can do it again. Neither one was bad really. The worse part is my son had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and arm so my midwife wouldn't let me push. I have to say my biggest struggle with this one is I won't have the same midwife I had with my first two and she was amazing!! My son was 9lbs 5oz and I did not rip or have any issues and it's all bc of her.
  • Options
    I have read ina maes book and it was amazing, that changed my perspective on a lot of things. I have also heard that her book spiritual midwifery is also good to read.. I will be taking a hypnobirthing and Bradley class as well.This is my first but I feel even after all the preparation you will end up trusting and listening to your body.
  • Options
    I second a lot that has already been said, Ina May's books, Bradley classes, a midwife, and a doula, if possible. I had my first all natural, great birth, and I had to do a lot of self-talk, my mantra was "This pain is only temporary" and "Every contraction gets her closer to being here."
  • Options
    I went on bedrest the day before we were supposed to take a natural childbirth class. So I did nothing other than read Ina's book and watch some you tube videos.

I had to read the book in small doses because it can be a little much. But I have to say, when I was actually in labor, a few things (like contractions being like an ocean wave) from the book really helped me.

Other than that, I winged it. Labor is hard work. That's why they call it labor. But it is amazing and you get through it. I had an easy recovery and was up and moving shortly after delivery.

Sidenote: I have a spinal fusion and could not have an epidural anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    Mama Natural on YouTube she has video on everything pregnancy, labor and motherhood- naturally She also has a blog.
  • Options
    My plan was to stay focused and go with what I needed. With my son I was in a three day labor and wanted rest, so I opted for the epidural. With my daughter she came very fast so didn't have any meds. I just plan to roll with things this time. Planning is good as long as you're willing to be flexible. I have friends who got disappointed by things not going their way.... No matter what you chose, be happy either way. Cheers!