Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Can too much sleep mean insufficient milk?

My LO is 6 weeks old. I was exclusively pumping until this past week due to a tongue tie and inefficient sucking, which have since been mostly resolved. 

We are now in the process of weaning from bottle-feeding breast milk to nursing directly, and it's going well, however I'm concerned he's not getting enough.

I've nursed him twice today ("breakfast" and "lunch") and was able to express 1.5 oz and 4 oz after those feeds, compared to the usual 5-6oz when I don't nurse.  This leads me to believe he's eaten the difference, i.e. 3.5 and 2 oz, which is MUCH less than he'd normally eat from the bottle (he'd be up to 10oz by now).

He has also slept most of the morning.

Could excessive sleep be a sign of not getting enough milk?

Re: Can too much sleep mean insufficient milk?

• thanks @nursej519 - i really hope you're right!
  • Loading the player...
  • NhbabyNhbaby member
    Agree with above! Baby is much more efficient than pumping! If he was hungry he'd let you know. The only time to wake LO to eat would be in first 2 (ish) weeks until he's resumed birth weight or if he was a preemie. My Dr scolded me for waking baby every 2-3 hrs bc he was packing on the weight just fine. Dr told me to let them sleep and enjoy!!! Or, in my case have time for my 22 mo-old haha!
  • Thank you, @Nhbaby! Wow, how do you do it with a 22 month old?

We saw the lactation consultant today and she said the same thing: the time when he would be too tired to scream bloody murder if he were hungry has past.  

She also gave me the green light to take five hour breaks between pumping sessions at night and reassured me I could bring back my supply if it became affected.  I can't wait to get a five hour stretch of sleep tonight!!
  • 10 oz is a lot for two feedings. They say average baby stomach capacity is 2.5 to 5 oz for the first six months. Typically babies eat 2-3 oz per feeding. With a bottle, babies eat more because they want to finish the bottle.
  • 10 oz is a lot for two feedings. They say average baby stomach capacity is 2.5 to 5 oz for the first six months. Typically babies eat 2-3 oz per feeding. With a bottle, babies eat more because they want to finish the bottle.

No, babies are not aware of how much is in a bottle, just like they are unaware If how much milk is in a breast (breast milk is continually being produced). They eat until they are not hungry any more, just like a BF baby. There were plenty of times that DD did not finish a bottle because she was not hungry! This is completely untrue!
    You're right, I worded it wrong. Usually babies are encouraged to finish the bottle vs stopping once baby pulls off.

No, babies are not aware of how much is in a bottle, just like they are unaware If how much milk is in a breast (breast milk is continually being produced). They eat until they are not hungry any more, just like a BF baby. There were plenty of times that DD did not finish a bottle because she was not hungry! This is completely untrue!
    You're right, I worded it wrong. Usually babies are encouraged to finish the bottle vs stopping once baby pulls off.
    Exactly. I caught my mom trying to make my baby swallow milk from the bottle by massaging his jaw. DH keeps trying to get ds to drink more when he is clearly done, too. Smh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Funny - just tried to "top" LO off with an ounce out of a bottle per pediatrician this morning. She's down to the 10th percentile from the 50th at birth. So I'm supposed to give her an additional 5 oz in a bottle each day. Anyway- that was her first projectile vomit... I'll try again in case it was just lack of a needed burp- but makes me think She may not need more. I mean - she's gained almost a pound and is 1 month... That seems reasonable?
  • Remember too that the more you feed/pump the more you produce! Your LO could have eaten the same amount from the breast but you're producing more because you're pumping right after.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    24-year-old | FTM | CA, US | Multi-cultural & Proud | Hippie Dippie Crunchy Veggie Yogini
    Our little bean's birthday 05.14.15
  • Your baby should pee 6 times and poop 2 times a day (what my doc told me)