1st Trimester

Disappointing first OB visit...thoughts?

I had my first OB visit today, which my husband and I were both so excited for. I'll be 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and found out in the early part of June, but I had to wait a few weeks to be seen by the doctor for my first visit until my health insurance kicked in. My visit today was with a nurse practitioner.

First off, all they did at the appointment today was have me pee in a cup to confirm the pregnancy. They also did a pap smear since I was due for one. That's it. They want me to come back next week for an ultrasound, and said they would call us later with the results of the ultrasound (WTF - I don't even get the results right then and there? Is that usual?). They'll also do some bloodwork that day. 

And finally, the first available appointment slot that my actual OB had open wasn't until August 2nd, which will be what they called my "initial OB visit" - my educational visit, with me being able to ask questions, get information, education, and the like. By then I'll be days away from being in my second trimester - it seems silly to wait that long to actually meet my OB and be able to ask her questions!

I don't know, the visit just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It seems like there's so many hoops to jump through and different visits to come back for. This is a VERY busy OBGYN practice at one of the busiest hospitals in my city (St. Louis) - it's literally known as "the baby factory" of my city. Which to some might be a bonus, but I wanted a more personalized experience. Not just seen as another "number".

One of my coworkers recommended her OB to me, and I called their office today after my disappointing visit. I was immediately impressed with them - they were able to get me in as early as July 16th with the actual OB, for an ultrasound, labwork, and educational/informational visit all in one - rather than having to split it up amongst visits like with my current OB. I've heard mostly good things about the hospital I would deliver at, it's a much smaller hospital and also closer to home for us.

I'm just confused now as to which OB/hospital to go with - and whether or not I should even be annoyed with my current OB. Does it sound like standard operating procedure for my prenatal care to be so spread out and divided? Or should I switch to a different OB? This is my first pregnancy, so I'm completely lost on what to do. Any advice would be so appreciated.

Re: Disappointing first OB visit...thoughts?

• I think if I were you I'd go for the second option that your friend recommended. Sounds like you would be more comfortable there. The initial visit did seem the usual as the previous poster said, but waiting until near the end of your second trimester does seem quite late for an initial OB meeting. I'm in UK and using NHS and had mine at 10 and a half weeks, which they considered a little late (my hospital tries to see everyone by 8 weeks for the very first visit and bloodwork). Good luck and hope you make the decision that's right for you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Does the dr you already have been seeing for your annual exams not do OB related things?  I can't relate, but I would expect my first appointment to be with my actual dr and more than likely the peeing n a cup just to confirm pregnancy as from my understanding that's all the 1st appt is really for, especially on the medical end of things.  I am an established patient though with my current office and at my last annual exam she said she expected to see me again when we are prego. 

If you don't feel comfortable with the experience, I'd shop around.
  • I just had my first appt at 7wks with a Nurse Practitioner here in Texas. The office staff didn't schedule it right so it was pee and blood test plus pap but no ultrasound. I have to go back in 2wks for the sonogram to confirm due date then will meet with OB at 10wks. Every state, and practice has different procedures though. My sis (in Kansas) didn't meet her OB until 12wks and had her first sono then also.
  • This is my first pregnancy too so I don't know about other doctors but for our first appointment I also had a Pap smear, blood work, and a urine culture, but I also had an ultrasound. I'm 9 weeks but the baby is measuring 10 weeks. We got to hear the heartbeat and watch baby move around. I think if you aren't happy with the doctor visit, find a new doctor! This is your pregnancy, you deserve to enjoy it and enjoy your doctor as well. Good luck and hope you find a doctor you like!
  • I agree with the poster above.  I think you already answered your question.  If it makes you more comfortable, then go with the smaller practice.  With my first pregnancy, I switched mid pregnancy because I wanted a smaller practice. 

• What results for an U/s would they withhold? I don't understand that at all. All of my appts that I have an U/s that is the first thing that is done then the Ultrasound Tech prints the pictures and report and gives it to my Dr, I then see my Dr and he explains in more detail what the U/s tech didn't. Granted, my OB is in an office/practice all on his own and I am not in a big city. However, there is an OB office that is here in our town like that where your appointments are separated and you wait a long time for an U/S. Follow your instints, I dare say its not the norm because it definite could be but its not for me.
  • suteki325suteki325 member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like a lot of doctors and practices just vary from place to place. I do think I'm going to meet with the other OB that I was able to get in with sooner - I'm just anxious and ready to start developing a good relationship with my doctor.
  • BritDillingerBritDillinger member
    edited July 2015
    Seems my first different was different than anyone's here. My first visit had me meet my OB, ultrasound, blood and urine tests to rule out all possible illnesses, diseases, check my levels, et cetera and yeah. This is my third pregnancy and my first visits have always had the ultrasound, blood tests, meeting my doctor, et cetera.

My first visit was at 9 weeks, too. My next visit is July 7th, four weeks after my first appoint. My visits will be four weeks apart until my third trimester, where they will then be two weeks apart until I deliver.

Definitely go somewhere else. That just doesn't seem right to me what you experienced.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • ErinkaErinka member
    edited July 2015
    I started at an OB office similar to the one you described. DH & I hated it. It was so impersonal, busy and nurses and secretaries were borderline rude. So we switched and LOVE our new OB! So glad we switched!

Ps both OB offices did US during first visit.
  • All of my pregnancies had first appointments similar to this. This is not unusual or wrong.

The main difference is that my OB/CNM office has an ultrasound room & tech on staff.

The most likely reason they are scheduling you for a separate appointment is because they have to refer you to an ultrasound location. The tech at that location takes pictures (forewarning; you most likely won't get to see a thing & they won't make small talk) & sends them back to your OB to interpret.

They then call you to talk about it. It's not that they are withholding as much as confirming information twice (the tech interpretation & then doctor) before talking to you.

If you have questions about policies or procedures you can call the office & ask someone to explain them to you in detail. Don't worry about being a bother or anything. It's your duty to be empowered & knowledgable about your care. Even if the office seems annoyed-- you are within your rights to know exactly how things go (within reason of course).

Often FTM are meek & afraid to rock the boat. Don't be. It's better than being Uninformed & shocked/upset later.

This goes for a doula, midwife, nurses & hospital staff. If you know your mind then they will know it too! Good luck.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I live between two cities and have always heard not so good things about the hospital in the larger one so I asked around and got some reccommended doctors from the smaller hospital and I just love it. The nurses were so sweet and understood that it was my first time with an OB. My OB is super nice and really funny. It was an overall amazing experience and I couldn't ask for anything more! I find it weird that it's not the norm to have an US on the first appointment? Shouldn't they make sure everything looks good? I guess I just don't understand how it all works. It's so weird how different the experience is from place to place! I will also see my doctor every four weeks until the third trimester and then every two until delivery. Hope you love your new doctor though!
  • Change OB offices! Take contra of your pregnancy and get the care you desire.
  • I couldn't get in to see my ob for a long while and was very worried...so I called our local crisis center and told them my concerns and they had me in for an US that same day...it really eased my mind...
  • Every OB is different and some don't want to have a first appt until 10-12 weeks. My ultrasound are always on a seperate day. The reason you don't get any results right away from the ultrasound is because the the tech has to send all the pics to the OB to look at. Everyone usually gets seen once a month. Just meet with the other OB and go with the one you like better. Every facility does things differently.
  • Your first appointment sounds about right to me. However, if you don't like or trust your OB, find a new one.
  • Go for the second option. My first OB U/s was done at 6weeks by my OB doctor not a u/s tech and he was showing me my results as he was doing the prcoedure. I was able to see the Sak, the fetal pole, and heartbeat. And remember you are supposed to go to your OB once a month for the first few months and then every other week for the last few weeks of your pregnancy. Doesn't seem like they will have much time for you.
  • Same thing here at Kaiser in southern california. First appt was the urine test and filling out paperwork with a nurse. Then I don't see my doctor until 10 wks. Here they prefer the woman to be further along before seeing the doctor.
  • My experience is similar. Its like they dont really give you much care or acknowledge your pregnancy until the second trimester. I feel like my first appointment was a waist of time. 
  • I'm not very far from you! Just about an hour and a half away. I live in Centralia, IL. I had my first prenatal visit last week and it was with the OB. They did blood work and urine test. I went back yet for the first ultrasound and you see everything right on the screen so I'm not sure why they would tell you that you have to wait for results?
  • I feel the exact same way. We went, they "confirmed" I was prego (duh) and gave me an order to get my labs done. I was so bummed and frustrated. They said at next visit (12 weeks) they will do ultrasound. I asked how they know baby is where it belongs and not lodged in my tube or something and the OB said,"that's not something we look for in normal people."

Next visit will be good and that's what I'm waiting for!!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    If you didn't have a good first visit, find a different place :)
    My initial visit was just peeing in a cup. My second appointment was the ultrasound and I knew the pregnancy was viable then. I had my blood drawn between appointments.
    My third visit will be at 12.5 weeks.
  • Well I guess I have never been normal since at weeks 6-8, with all three of my pregnancies, I got ultrasounds and got the results while I was there. Doctors are so weird.
  • SanRemo said:
    Well I guess I have never been normal since at weeks 6-8, with all three of my pregnancies, I got ultrasounds and got the results while I was there. Doctors are so weird.
    This is my first pregnancy, but my doctors do the same - ultrasound round 8 weeks to confirm viability and no ectopic pregnancies, then first doctor appointment at 10-12 weeks.

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Each office does everything differently. My first appointment I was 6 weeks along and I had an ultrasound and it was my "education" appointment. I didn't even pee in a cup. Then at 10 weeks I came back in for my bloodwork and stuff for the tests I opted for. 

Like some others have said, if you prefer the new OB to your current and are comfortable I would make the switch now at the beginning before you get too far along. You would want to be with the doctor on where you want to deliver I think for as much time as you can so you can get to know them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker