July 2015 Moms

If I suspect cholestasis, can I wait until my Dr. apt?

Hey all, I'm 36+4 today over the last few days I've been really itchy EVERYWHERE! I've read cholestasis is mostly the feet and hands so I'm unsure but the itching is pretty annoying and intense, all over my body with no rashes.

Is this something I need to get checked out immediately or can I bring it up at my dr. apt in 2 days?

Re: If I suspect cholestasis, can I wait until my Dr. apt?

• VTomanVToman member
    I would call your dr to see if they'd want you to come in sooner for bloodwork. It can take a few days for the results to come back, but maybe they'd have it ready for you by your appointment time. Good luck! I've been really itchy on and off pretty much since 2nd trimester, but I tested negative. For me, it's just been allergies. But, definitely something you don't want to wait on, especially this close to the end of your pregnancy!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call your dr to see if they'd want you to come in sooner for bloodwork. It can take a few days for the results to come back, but maybe they'd have it ready for you by your appointment time. Good luck! I've been really itchy on and off pretty much since 2nd trimester, but I tested negative. For me, it's just been allergies. But, definitely something you don't want to wait on, especially this close to the end of your pregnancy!
    @vcard091678 Would you consider it worth blowing up the nurse station at my OB? I was told they were very busy today so to leave a message. Usually when they say that I don't hear back from them until the end of the day and I'm so worried that the baby will be hurt if I don't have this checked!  :-S
  • So I'm overdue-- I'm suppose to be a June baby -- I have been itching like crazyyyyy at night especially. I'm worried it might be that too but I keep thinking , oh I'll probably deliver any minute so it will go away. Calling the doctor in a bit. I have an appointment for Thursday.
  • VTomanVToman member
    I'm not usually someone who would blow up their phone. However, the risk to the baby might push me over the edge. From everything I've read, if you do have it, they'll want to schedule a c section before your 40 weeks, so you probably have time, even if you have to wait for your appointment.
  • Im on the same boat.. I really feel like I have it because the itching is getting worse. No rash, no changes in detergents or soaps.
    Benadryl or Aveeno baths do nothing. I itch so bad that I feel like I want to just jump out of my skin.
    I also have had right upper quadrant pain for a few weeks that now that I think about could also be liver...

I just put all this together last night while I while I was miserably itching in bed unable to sleep.

I put in a call to my nurse but have been playing phone tag with her... I felt a little dumb calling especially when I have an appointment tomorrow BUT better safe than sorry.

I work in the medical field and I swear, people in the medical field make the worst patients!
  • Praying! Keep us posted :) I woke up terribly itchy hands, feet and body. Lotion is doing absolutely nothing :( have my weekly appointment tomorrow, debating if I should wait to address it then? I'm 37 today
    image Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Prayers for the itchy mommas!
  • My dr made me come in earlier than my appt to get tested when the itching kept me up one night.  Turns out I do have it but my levels are only slightly elevated so now they are watching me.
  • Well I'm in the hospital in the early stages of induction. Went to the doctor this afternoon and because I'm 4 days overdue and I'm complaining of itching they sent me in.

I'm super nervous because I really wanted labor to begin naturally. Now they're telling me my baby weighs between 9-10 lbs!!! What the f*ck!?!?!

Send me prayers that they were off with the measurements and everything goes smoothly from here on out

wow, good luck @surfingmama !
  • how are they watching you @perky8304 ? i did have my blood work drawn yesterday so now I'm just playing the waiting game! I'm really scared of induction but I'm waaaay more scared of potential risks to baby if the results come back positive! good luck and hugs to you!
  • I have notice that now my feet get very swollen , they begin to itch on top by my toes, only place I get itchy, noticed it a few days ago is not an everyday thing. But I see my OB tomorrow and I'm scheduled for a c section Friday noon
  • Dr had me get blood drawn and will get results next week. I'm hoping everything is ok since it won't be until Monday! The office is closed tomorrow so that's why the delay until Monday. I'm s little nervous. He said he's only had two cases during his whole career and he's run hundreds of labs testing cholestasis. Trying to be optimistic...it was hard to hear him say the risk of still born increases if my tests come back high. He was calm so I'm trying to be the same. Thoughts & Prayers are welcome!!
    image Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • still waiting on my results too, @LeannFran ! it is nerve racking but hopefully nothing! baby is moving and healthy. try to stay calm if you can! (hugs)!
  • LeannFranLeannFran member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks @astraealynn ! I got a voicemail today and it said to call in the morning & that it wasn't an emergency. So annoying!!