July 2015 Moms

tdap

I've been seeing this discussed on here, having family and friends getting a booster before visiting baby. My medical team has made no mention of this, doctor only said for me to get one to provide immediate immunity to the baby.

Re: tdap

• My pediatrician said to have anyone that would be around DD a lot to get the booster. They made me get it before I left the hospital with DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Third kid and not one dr has ever mentioned that I or my family should get it.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Loading the player...
  • Doctor never mentioned it and when I asked it took him a minute to realize what I was talking about.
    He doesn't seem concerned and said I don't need to get it.
  • This is also my second and this is the first I've heard of it (this discussion board). My doctor didn't mentioned anything to me about having family members vaccinated, other than giving me the booster about 2 weeks ago.
  • Neither my husband or I have ever had it and no one has suggested it or ever mentioned it to me. Is it a regional concern?
  • Leahauc said:

Neither my husband or I have ever had it and no one has suggested it or ever mentioned it to me. Is it a regional concern?

It could be. Mine mentioned it and we did have a whooping cough outbreak in the area...

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• My husband and I have had it, me at 36 weeks. I now almost 39 weeks. Both sets of grandparents have it and it is a directive from the Australian health department that anyone coming into contact with the baby have the whooping cough vaccine.
  • It may be a regional thing. It was recommended to me for me to get it after 27 weeks and for DH/grandparents to get it, and there have been a few whooping cough outbreaks in my area in the last couple of years.
  • Same here, at 27 weeks I was told to get it and I was told to have grandparents get it since it's only good for 10 years. I was also told I should get it with each pregnancy to pass it on to the baby. They told me anyone around baby should be up to date with it. My MIL who lives in NY said she saw a commercial about it, and we are stationed in Florida. So, I'm not sure. I'm all for immunizations anyway so I made sure everyone was up to date.
  • Bugs1718Bugs1718 member
    edited June 2015
    The reco for it to be given to pregnant ladies is relatively new (like within the last year or so) so it wouldn't have been mentioned in previous pregnancies. My docs office has a poster on the wall about it now. As for family members, etc., my OB mentioned it and when I met with the pediatricians office, they mentioned it as well. I think it depends on the doc. My old doc from Ohio (we moved to Missouri a year and a half ago) said sometimes docs don't think to mention it because they assume people know since it's had a lot of news coverage the last few years. He said he tries to remember to talk about it but he said the new electronic medical records systems make it easier because they are often programmed so that it asks about the shot at the start of the appt.

Regardless, do your research or talk to your doc and decide what's best for you. I've heard too many cases of infants dying or getting really sick for me to take the chance.
  • My doctor gave it to me and they said DH should get it too, but they didn't mention any other family memebrs.

My mom did get it because she's an excited first time grandma. She's also a high school guidance counselor so she has to be up to date on her shots anyways
  • I got mine at 28 weeks as was highly resommended by my OB, and both sets of grandparents and dad also received vaccine. With all the traveling, and people you can come in contact with or your family traveling from other parts of country can come in contact with I felt very good about it and felt it beneficial to all involved as well. It's your choice tho absolutely. I def got mine.
  • Got mine at 28 weeks. DH got his around that time too. I just double checked with other family members who will for sure be visiting that they were up to date.
    Anniversary
  • At my appt today dr recommended husband and any family who have not had a booster as an adult get a booster. He'll have to talk to his family. I'll need to see if my daughter needs one, she's 20.
  • richelle92richelle92 member
    edited July 2015
    I was told that anyone who would be around the baby would need to get the shot. So all grandparents and aunts and uncles have the shot (this is the first grandchild/niece so everyone is a little more than excited to be around her lol) the dr said it was like cocooning her from whooping cough. I would recommend getting it just so you know baby is safe. I went to my local health department and got mine and my insurance didn't cover it (tricare tends to be picky *sigh*) but regardless out of pocket it was only about 21.00. Good luck with your little one!
  • mnknoxmnknox member
    My first pregnancy there was never a metion of it. However this pregnancy I had to get the vac. and the Dr suggested anyone in the home (DH / and our baby girl 9yrs old) also get it. So we did, it seems they had some outbreaks in our area.
  • My Dr. had me get it before 37 week and told my SO he needed it also, as well as anyone who will be around the baby often.
    There have been more cases recently so we went on ahead and got it. 
  • We had 3 independent peds and my OBGYN recommend anyone spending time with baby (outside of an annual few day trip like Christmas vaca) should get the booster because little ones can't be fully vaccinated until 12 months and it's deadly to infants. It's a low probability high risk thing.