November 2015 Moms

Smoking quit tips??

Cook3133Cook3133 member
edited June 2015 in November 2015 Moms
so my husband has smoked for almost 20 years and says he's ready to quit but doesn't. (He's said this for a couple years now) I know it's hard because I was a smoker and have quit twice. So I get it to a point. I want to support him as best I can but really it's just pissing me off. He spends way to much money that we don't really have and I just don't get why he wont stop if he says he wants to he should be able to. Just frustrated with it.

Anyone have tips on how I can support him?

How he can quit? He's tried lozenges, gums, the electronic cig, and all a fail.

Re: Smoking quit tips??

• *quit
    Knock him up... That should make him quit...
  • I've heard people who tried hypnosis were successful in quiting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Fixed my spelling :) my auto thing on my phone did it and I went with it :)
  • Where did this thread go???? There were at least 20 responses last night

• Peony1982 said:

Where did this thread go???? There were at least 20 responses last night

I thought it was just me! I think everything from overnight was lost with the software update @BumpAdmin.
    I can see new posts after 1:30am but everything before that from the overnight hours is gone.
  • well that's annoying...
  • What about medication? The anti depressant Wellbutrin is also sold under another brand name as a smoking cessation aid. It's very effective. I took Wellbutrin as the anti depressant and as well as lifting the depression, I benefitted for 2 of the side effects, I lost weight and stopped smoking.

• VexyMommyVexyMommy member
    edited June 2015
    That makes sense.  I was wondering why the forum looked no different this morning than when I left last night.  I just assumed it was a slow night.

ETA:  Maybe they finally fixed the app too.  *Fingers Crossed*
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • My husband was a very heavy smoker and with this pregnancy the smell was just too much for me Plus with 3 kids we just couldn't justify the cost, so he got a vaporizer or ecig and has switched to that, and is slowly weaning the amount of nicotine down and will be completely done by November when baby comes
  • My boyfriend got a fancy vaporizer. About $100 but well worth it in the end. It's been a couple months now and he doesn't miss smoking anymore. Before that I just set guidelines like no smoking in the car, at all or within close proximity to me. That made it more and more difficult to get a smoke in :)
  • Thanks ladies, I wish the other comments didn't go away, I need all the help I can get!

We've put a stop to smoking in the car a long time ago for the kids sake. But he has a high stress job with his own truck and can smoke in it so that sucks to! My husbands a fire chief and smokes more on the job them at home, and when there's a fire its 10x worse!! He's afraid of medications because of the side affects, I will mention the one suggested to him and see what he thinks!
  • What are his motivators?  What kinds of things make him truly happy?  Try to use those as rewards for not smoking for certain periods of time. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • My husband smoked before we even started seeing each other. When we got together he sometimes used an e-cigarette, then he switched to nicotine gum and now uses nicotine mints. Maybe as an incentive, you could take the money he had been spending on cigarettes and put it on the side then do something special with it? That way he can visually see just how much he really was spending on them and he gets a reward for working hard to quit.
  • TacoSarah said:

What about medication? The anti depressant Wellbutrin is also sold under another brand name as a smoking cessation aid. It's very effective. I took Wellbutrin as the anti depressant and as well as lifting the depression, I benefitted for 2 of the side effects, I lost weight and stopped smoking.

My brother was successful on Wellbutrin too. It made him nauseous every time he tried to smoke while on it so he started associating throwing up and smoking.